Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Can you help me find a dress like this?

(13 Posts)
SorrelForbes Sat 15-Jun-13 17:17:12

Over the last week I've tried on over 50 evening dresses. The only ones that looked wow enough to buy were this one from Biba and this one from Ariella.

The Biba one needed some tailoring around the top as there was too much fabric for my short body. The Ariella one was perfect, made me look tiny but it's only available in navy blue, a colour which does nothing for me. Plus, it's for a military ball and DH will be in his dark navy uniform.

Can anyone help me find a similar dress (preferably the Ariella one) but in a brighter colour. Red looks good on me.

I have tried on pretty much every dress in Coast, HoF, Debenhams and John Lewis!

TIA.

Celticlassie Sat 15-Jun-13 17:23:13

Not exactly the same, but similar... what about this?

or this?

blibblibs Sat 15-Jun-13 17:38:34

This was linked to on another thread and I thought it was lovely. Only have it in black and navy though.

http://www.next.co.uk/x51110s2#779718x51

tethersend Sat 15-Jun-13 18:23:29
SciFiandRomance Sat 15-Jun-13 18:37:49

Ghost do dye-to-order, I would say that Monique or Novella are similar to the ones you've linked to.

SorrelForbes Sun 16-Jun-13 08:55:38

Thanks everyone for the links and suggestions.

I probably should have said in my OP that I am very curvy (30GG, 28" waist and 42" hips!). Anything high necked or with a floaty type skirt looks appalling on me.

I already have the Ghost novella dress (in pale pink). I bought it last year and have worn it two balls. Whilst I really like it, the pictures if me wearing it have ensured that I will never wear it again! It makes me look very top heavy and boxy.

The Alexon one looks promising so I think I'll order it to try.

Thanks again.

SorrelForbes Sun 16-Jun-13 08:58:31

Bugger, the Alexon one seems to be sold out everywhere.

SorrelForbes Sun 16-Jun-13 09:01:59

Just noticed the Ghost Sylvia dress very tempted to order it in red. 4 week lead time and the ball is on the 12th July. Might be a bit tight.

Keep your eye on The Outnet - most of the evening dresses shown at the moment are a bit more expensive but worth monitoring as they change constantly and you might find something very special. Cocosa is also worth watching - they seem to have a clearance every month or so with some fab evening dresses. I picked up the black version of this for about £200 and it's stunning on.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sun 16-Jun-13 09:32:32
Aetae Sun 16-Jun-13 09:35:31

Why not hire one? eg

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sun 16-Jun-13 09:37:05

I really love the Kaliko one. Wish I had a reason to buy it <goes back to sweeping ashes from grate>

SorrelForbes Sun 16-Jun-13 11:49:09

I've tried both the Coast and Kaliko ones. They were not great. The fabric was very thin and clingy unfortunately.

I'll check out The Outnet etc.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now