Colour analysis: thread for autumns

(63 Posts)
AngieAir Tue 11-Jun-13 14:04:29

I had my colours done last month and I'm a HOC autumn leaf (not sure how that translates to other schemes). I've done a search on here and not found much as you all seem to be winters!

I've bought a top and a camisole from Kettlewell as a birthday present which look lovely and now I'm stuck. Most of my clothes are the wrong colours (white, purple and blue) but I can't afford to replace them immediately, just over time. I really saw the difference in the drapes so don't want to go to work every day looking ghastly either.

Does anyone have any tips for how to "improve" my existing clothes? I've had a look on pinterest but felt overwhelmed.

vitaminC Fri 14-Jun-13 08:24:11

I'm a warm autumn, although as my dominant feature is "warm" I can wear a lot of spring colours too!

You know that lime green colour people are always complaining about on here? It really suits me grin.
In fact I've just bought this for my honeymoon and it looks stunning on!

I also second the scarf suggestion. You should check out Mai Tai's Picture Book for creative ways to dress up neutral outfits with scarves.

For the jacket, I bought a stone blazer from Esprit last week. There is a sale on over here right now, though. Don't know about where you are...

charitygirl Fri 14-Jun-13 09:29:53

Beeyootiful dress VitC - I love that warm Limey green. In fact, I painted our sitting room walls that colour (maybe slightly more muted) and it was a bit of a revelatory moment when the HoC consultant mentioned 'you may realise that you've used your palette around the house even before you knew they were the colours you should be wearng'.

So that's why my sitting room is yellow-green, my kitchen is mango yellow, one of the bedrooms is rust-red, and the only picture I've ever spent serious money on prominently features 'navy green' and orange! Aha!

TheChocolateTeapot Fri 14-Jun-13 11:29:41

Another disappointed Dylon user here. Can't find anything cream/ivory at all.

shopafrolic Fri 14-Jun-13 16:15:46

Sorry Lovepigeon - only just catching up. If you click onto any of my individual Pins it should take you through to the product on the website.
The cream vests are currently 2 for £8 in M&S. Warning - they are really underwear I think so are very fitted but I find them great for layering and they have wide straps so no bra straps on show. And the cream tee with the ribbed back is also from M&S - their Autograph range - roughly £25 from memory.
I've also bought cream thermal long sleeved tops from M&S which I use for layering.
If you're an extra small then this T by A Wang slubby top is a good one - I'm wearing it today over my cream M&S vest for an extra layer. It is semi sheer and it is v slubby (and sheds a bit) but the fit is great.

shopafrolic Fri 14-Jun-13 16:16:31

Or there's Kettlewell

NotEnoughJamOnTheBread Fri 14-Jun-13 18:31:23

I was diagnosed as an Autumn leaf a few months back. I've got some of those M&S cream vests and they're really lovely, I highly recommend them. In fact I must buy some more.

AngieAir Fri 14-Jun-13 20:02:31

I will check out those marks cream tops on my Sunday shopping adventure.

Vitamin C, that dress is amazing. Don't think there's an Espirit near me, was going to have a mooch round TK Maxx.

Charitygirl I love the sound of your house decor.

Notenoughjam, how have you managed your wardrobe since you had your colours done? Have you made any major changes/purchases?

Looking at the pinterest boards there seem to be soft, dark and warm/true autumns. Is an autumn leaf a warm autumn or dark autumn? Think I might be between the two given my starred colours. There's potential for some very vibrant colour combinations though the HOC book does suggest monochromatic shades look best.

NotEnoughJamOnTheBread Fri 14-Jun-13 21:22:14

AngieAir I've bought quite a lot; cardigans (mainly from eBay for cost reasons and more chance of autumn colours at this time of year) some vest tops, t-shirts, navy trousers and a gorgeous pair of cream linen summer trousers. I've coloured my hair darker and started wearing lipstick and sometimes coral nail varnish ( I only ever used to paint them a natural colour).

I've posted previously about being unsure about being able to 'see' that I'm an autumn and if I'm honest I still feel that way. But I'm still trying and I'm hoping with more time and practice I'll get there.

I also asked in my post what the leaf part meant and a very knowledgeable MNetter who is a HoC consultant said it simply referred to the colours I looked amazing in, ie: the double star 100% colours written down on the ratings page during my colour consultation. Hope that helps a bit.

charitygirl Fri 14-Jun-13 22:17:23

Ooh - should add that I think Uniqlo is great for newly diagnosed folk of any season - they have lots of good quality basic tees, vests, jeans, and jumpers in so many colours.

Their website is never as good as their stores, but it's not bad, and on my iPad at least, the colours in pictures are pretty reliable. The cotton tshirt s with pockets are lovely and only £9. Vests are great too - nice and long. Would recommend you size down.

AngieAir Sat 15-Jun-13 15:28:06

NotEnoughJam, that makes sense re leaf thing thanks.

I also get what you mean about difficulty in accepting autumn. I thought it was all muted colours so was pleased to see that I suited rich, dramatic colours. However most of my ** colours I have never considered before and so far I haven't been able to bring myself to buy any. I just got a green kettlewell top because I always wear green anyway.

I'm also disappointed that silver is not recommended as I have lovely and expensive collection built up over the years, but I think I will combine with some gold pieces rather than ebay them as most have sentimental value.

However, I'm telling myself that I paid the expert for her unbiased opinion so I shall take her advice (cheaply) and see how it goes.

Now looking at boden autumn preview smile

TheChocolateTeapot Sat 15-Jun-13 17:19:22

Just ordered this in the House of Fraser sale. Am hoping it is as lovely as it looks!

charitygirl Sat 15-Jun-13 19:01:04

Very nice teapot - I never used to notice the description 'off-white', as opposed to just 'white', and now I hunt for it!

Don't think they've shown the top off to its best advantage though, and I say that a brogue lover. What will you wear it with?

AngieAir Sun 16-Jun-13 17:30:46

Got a few things today, enough to see my through til the style day, which I should be able to do in September. I got a couple of cami tops in Primark, sort of lizard grey and an oatmeal T-shirt for £3.99 in h&m.

Then, as I had a Laura Ashley gift card, I got this which is a coffee brown colour and this which is much richer and more chestnutty than in the picture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now