How much do you spend a month on clothes?

(76 Posts)
snottagecheese Wed 05-Jun-13 21:30:39

I know it's a bit of a pointless question in a way, as it depends on people's incomes/budgets, which vary enormously. But having just splurged a bit and felt guilty (especially as I'm on maternity leave and only on statutory maternity pay), it made me wonder what's a 'reasonable' amount/proportion of your income to spend...

cocolepew Thu 06-Jun-13 17:33:24

About £40 mainly from Asda grin

AwkwardSquad Thu 06-Jun-13 17:35:28

Rather a lot this month, as I've dropped two sizes and have very few clothes that fit. About £300-£400 but that does include shoes and a jacket. And I still don't seem to have any clothes!

EuroShaggleton Thu 06-Jun-13 17:38:50

It's erratic - often nothing all month, but occasionally i will spend £300 in a lunch hour sweep!

mrspaddy Thu 06-Jun-13 17:40:55

Probably only about 50 - maybe little more.
A lot of work clothes are reasonable - cheap and cheerful H&M etc. I teach so a top can get ruined fairly quickly. I buy my work trousers from Tesco and they are smart and last well.
I also have some really nice clothes - dresses from Hobbs, good coats in lot of colours..nice selection of little black dress, lots of shoes. I don't spend much on high fashion. I tend to buy classic clothes and wear them until I am fed up of them.
I like Julien McDonald for dresses and cost per wear is probably a pound.. or a few pence as I wear them everywhere grin

Sh1ney Thu 06-Jun-13 17:53:18

Depends. £250 ish

lizzypuffs Thu 06-Jun-13 17:56:35

It depends on what I need. Sometimes nothing other times £100. Never more than £150 though.

Mumelie Thu 06-Jun-13 18:12:42

Er too much usually!
Depends on time of year - at the beginning of Spring/Summer or Autumn/Winter I might spend £500 + but then only £50 a month til the sales.
I also sell on eBay to make a bit towards my splurges and never go into debt for it.

Beaverfeaver Thu 06-Jun-13 20:49:46

I only buy when needed.

This month I bought a bag and will buy jeans.

After that I can't see me needing anything at all unless some shoes wear out

sparkle12mar08 Thu 06-Jun-13 21:39:54

£0 if we're talking habit spending.

I buy only what I need, when I need it, on a one-for-one replacement basis, i.e. jeans only if the pair I currently have develops holes, winter coat only when the last one falls apart (two in ten years so far), shoes only when they fall apart - I have only two pairs of court shoes (black & nude), one pair of leather winter boots, one pair of walking trainers, one pair of wellies, and two pairs of sandals. I replace knickers only when they actually have holes or are threadbare - three packs of M&S 5 for £10 high legs in 10 years. I simply can't afford to buy something just because I like it.

Over the course of a year I probably spend £200 in these sort of scenarios.

dexter73 Thu 06-Jun-13 21:42:59

£500 to £600 a month on average, not including shoes and handbags.

snottagecheese Thu 06-Jun-13 22:08:50

Sleepwhenidie - you're obviously right as most posters have said they don't spend much, but it didn't occur to me that there wouldn't be a broad range, since MN is anonymous so why would people worry about saying they spend a lot? Also, I sort of assumed that people who read/post on the S&B threads might be quite keen shoppers. I'm finding this thread particularly interesting as all my assumptions appear to be wrong grin

I think maybe there are people who would, rightly or wrongly, judge what people spend lots of money on, so, anonymous or not, most people would rather avoid such criticism....smile

dexter73 Fri 07-Jun-13 07:45:41

I don't actually spend that much on clothes each month! People aren't going to post on here if they spend a lot on clothes as they would get a lot of grief about it. Any thread where someone has a healthy amount to spend on clothes or especially handbags, always gets posters who criticise and say why don't they get stuff from Primark and buy a goat/bench etc. with the rest of the money.

Crumbledwalnuts Fri 07-Jun-13 07:47:48

Nothing unless I need pants or bra or something wears out. I have far too many clothes. Have to do that one out one in thing. But clothes shopping isn't interesting. (BandQ anytime instead!)

Crumbledwalnuts Fri 07-Jun-13 07:49:07

Dexter: I wouldn't give anyone grief for spending on shopping. They're keeping the wheels of the economy turning, not like me.

KeatsiePie Fri 07-Jun-13 07:57:05

We budget $30 a month for clothes, which I think would be £15 in the UK right? (American.) That's for DH and me both, so we sort of take it in turns depending on who needs something. But that doesn't cover shoes or winter coats, just regular clothes. It's not very much but it works for us as I am just finishing grad school and he works in a warehouse. When we had a professional-dress type jobs we spent more.

dexter73 Fri 07-Jun-13 07:59:08

I wouldn't either but there have been several rather heated threads on here before where people have been. It's seems strange to me that people can get so worked up about what others spend their money on!

KeatsiePie Fri 07-Jun-13 08:05:13

OP you shouldn't feel badly about splurging a little. If you don't normally spend much I think that every so often you will have to lay out a larger amount.

Morgause Fri 07-Jun-13 08:08:29

It probably averages out at £300 - £400.

I have a big splurge at the beginning of Autumn and Spring then bits in between.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 07-Jun-13 08:16:10

At the moment, very little as I am constantly skint. It does have advantages though as I look more closely at things and decide if I really like them rather than just buying stuff for the sake of it.
I am looking for a new job just now and when I get one I am going to get a whole new work wardrobe - personal shopper, the lot. Can't wait!

ginmakesitallok Fri 07-Jun-13 08:17:16

I've spent loads this month, getting stuff for holidays, but tend to spend more on the kids clothes.

invicta Fri 07-Jun-13 08:18:41

I don"t have a regular spend. I buy wheni need them. Ie. old clothes worn out, or in the sales, or for a special event (or because I've put on weight!),

bella65 Fri 07-Jun-13 08:20:02

No idea because I don't clothes shop monthly- does anyone?

In the autumn I have spent £250 on a coat and £150 on boots , plus a few nice jumpers and trousers etc, then in summer I might buy nothing except a couple of T shirts, new pair of chinos and one cheapish dress.

I suppose I am lucky that we have a lot of savings and I work, so whatever I want I can buy- but even if I couldn't I'd buy what I needed, not what I wanted, within our budget.

Hopefully Fri 07-Jun-13 08:20:41

On average about £200 a month. Some months it's next to nothing, other months I'll spend £400 on big buys, but it averages out at that over the year. Last year it averaged at more like £250 a month as I started back at work for the first time in 5 years so had to buy work clothes from scratch.

Smudging Fri 07-Jun-13 08:22:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now