Part 5- And the perfumes just keep on coming...

(999 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Sun 26-May-13 20:55:45

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1711275-Part-4-All-you-ever-need-to-know-about-fragrance-continues

Shiny new thread for some shiny new perfumes (and classics and niche brands)

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 21-Nov-13 23:04:38

I would like to try Sahara Noir by Tom Ford - has anyone tried this?

Oh I also have Mona di Orio's Lux. Which I used to love, but am less fond of these days. And I have a bottle of Fragonard Grains de Soleil, and a bottle of their Verveine too.

MrsCocoa Fri 22-Nov-13 00:02:35

Mrs S: have six of your original list and like another two. Haven't tried the others... but will be seeking them out!

At the moment I struggle to walk through John Lewis without taking a detour to douse myself in Sahara Noir. It's a very savoury fragrance, a hot dry incense that evokes churches (some similarities with SL Ambre Sultan?). I wasn't sure when I first tried it, but am now hooked, and fantastic for this time of year. Love that it radiates intensity and depth, without anything that 'reads' as conventionally 'sexy', or either overtly feminine, or masculine. Unfortunately Father Christmas has already agreed to re-stock my supply of Eau de Sud as I would love to get my hands on my own bottle of this.

MrsCocoa Fri 22-Nov-13 21:59:24

Any Annick Goutal fans visiting Meadowhall tomorrow? There is a bottle of Nuit Etoilee (Eau De Parfum) reduced to £30 in TK Maxx. Sorry to make this sound like the Christmas Bargains thread, but thought this would be a great buy for someone? Be quick - just the one.

CointreauVersial Fri 22-Nov-13 22:37:02

I have Sahara Noir, MrsS. It is full-on incense, very dry-spicy and churchy. I like it, but don't love it.

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 22-Nov-13 23:59:57

MrsC - also in TK Maxx Charing Cross Road branch. It is the smaller 50ml bottle though, rather than the 100ml.

I will go and sniff Sahara Noir at the weekend.

MrsMaryCooper Sat 23-Nov-13 09:07:13

What do people think about Modern Muse - Estee Lauder? I tried it the other day, and I think I liked it, but it seems a bit insipid?

Would it be a good present for someone who likes a light floral?

coffeeinbed Sat 23-Nov-13 11:08:20

It is insipid because it's designed to appeal to a as many customers as possible.
But if you liked it then that's all that matters.

Don't know as a present, I personally have never given scent as present.

FrugalFashionista Thu 28-Nov-13 17:49:01

Did the thread die? Have been in workaholic mode during the past weeks, mostly perfume free, but right now enjoying the utterly gorgeous, gothic Black Violet by Tom Ford.

MrsCocoa Fri 29-Nov-13 00:23:23

Hi Frugal. I'm still here. Tell us more about the Black Violet?
Am kicking myself for walking past a branch of L'Occitane earlier without trying their new Amber and Sandalwood fragrance. Really like their original amber - simple, warm and comforting. Has anyone tried the new one?

kittykarate Fri 29-Nov-13 10:24:31

I'm not keen on Sahara Noir, it's incense + something medicinal. Reminds me of being sat at church next to my tiger balm obsessed great gran.

Fuckitthatlldo Sat 30-Nov-13 19:57:19

SOTD: Une Fleur de Cassie. My teenage son walked into the room and said, "What smells of nappys?!" I gave him my wrist to smell and he confirmed that it was me grin. It's not dirty nappys apparently, but the mixture of clean baby and wipes he remembers from when his siblings were little. "I wouldn't buy that one if I were you" was the conclusion.

On another (slightly off tangent) note I am making home made chai and the smell of cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, pepper and cloves boiling up on the stove is making the kitchen smell just gorgeous. Now if I could find a perfume that captured that smell with a little amber thrown in I would be in heaven.

wiltingfast Mon 02-Dec-13 13:46:42

28 La Pausa for me today. I have alas drained my 5ml decant of Cuir de Russie dry. Was a bit shocked, god knows why, did I think it would last forever?!

I'm enjoying 28 LaP but I do find it a bit stern. Good for work though, I need to be stern!

wiltingfast Tue 17-Dec-13 10:44:41

SOTD: Coromandel which I am surprisingly enjoying, it's clearly cold weather perfume for me as I hated it during the summer grin

PenfoldRocks Tue 17-Dec-13 11:21:34

I am hoping one of you lovely ladies can help me grin. I wear Obsession (and was slated for it being old fashioned on another thread asking this question, but never mind), but only love it when layered with the body lotion, which smells more powdery. However, the people at CK have decided to no longer sell the body lotion, so my perfume is languishing on my chest of drawers and I am fragranceless. Any ideas what other perfumes (with matching body lotion) I may like? Ta muchly in advance!

Fuckitthatlldo Tue 17-Dec-13 11:25:44

I went on a trip to London recently and swanned around the perfume halls of Liberty's, Harrods, and Selfridges. I only wish I'd grown extra arms for the occasion! There's a limit to how much you can try.

Re-tried Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan and loved it. The first time I tried it (it was one of the first samples I got when first discovering niche perfumery) I didn't like the herbal aspect much. But I think tastes change as you delve deeper and I appreciated it much more this time.

Also tried Serge Lutens Cedre and quite liked that also.

My absolute favourite line is the Frederic Malle's. I just think those perfumes are gorgeous. There's something really luxurious and old-school about them. They smell complex and as though they've been created with real love and passion. I love all of them, even if I wouldn't necessarily wear them.

Another surprising like for me was Tocca's Florence. I'm really not one for girly florals, but if you're going to do girly floral then this really is breathtakingly pretty. Gorgeous packaging as well.

The Byredo and Le Labo perfumes looked interesting but I don't like the really modern, almost medicinal looking packaging, particularly of the Le Labo's. I still want something that's going to look beautiful on my dresser.

Anyway, my biggest love of the day was the Chanels Les Exclusif Sycomore. Oh. My. God. I have never smelled anything like it. It was swoonsomely gorgeous. Deep and smoky and green and woody and I just LOVED it. What's more, it's totally outside of my usual amber comfort zone, so I was pleased to have found something different. I want I want I want a full bottle immediately!

Apatite1 Tue 17-Dec-13 12:15:49

I love Frederic malle Carnal Flower. Top of my wish list. I only have Coromandel, might need to add Sycamore based on your description!

SOTD: Amouage Lyric Woman

CointreauVersial Tue 17-Dec-13 22:57:52

Ha! Funny, I was wearing Sycomore today, and Coromandel yesterday. Great minds think alike.

I really dislike Coromandel for the first half hour, but after that.....mmmm.....

wiltingfast Wed 18-Dec-13 08:15:36

Hah, I put on sycomore today by mistake! Not really a fan, it's VERY woody on me, relentlessly so and I do like wood but generally mixed in with something else. It's just too flat and linear on me, god knows why and doesn't seem to matter if the weather's hot or cold, smells just the same.

Wouldn't mind it on dh though. He has some awful Ted Baker shaving cream on the go and you can smell it all over the house. Eucalyptus allegedly...

wiltingfast Wed 18-Dec-13 08:19:37

There's a chanel entire exclusifs split going on on crystal flacon by the way. Coromandel is alas gone as is no 22 but I think there is room left in the other bottles. I signed up for 30mls of cuir de russie! If you pm me I'll send you a link.

Never done it before myself so risk is your own!

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 18-Dec-13 09:17:23

Thanks Wilting smile

I know exactly what you mean about Coromandel Cointreau. I always think of it a bit like a stew, in that it takes a while for all the flavours to meld and improve, but after it's sat for a while then... yum.

SOTD: Prada Amber. I still enjoy this, despite my growing collection of niche, more sophisticated ambers. It doesn't have a great deal of depth or development, but it still smells very good, plus it's still amber and any amber be better than no amber in my book grin

Deathwatchbeetle Fri 20-Dec-13 17:51:19

I wished I had time to sniff out the perfumes on sale in Primark yesterday but had not time and not even sure if my branch stocked any. However, I did buy Arden's Blue Grass for £10 n Superdrug. It is the Eau de parfum spray naturel - so much lighter than the little pure perfume bottle mum had all those decades ago. I absolutely love it. So different to the miles and miles of celeb skicky wicky pinky winky flowery vanilla shite that is everywhere.

coffeeinbed Sat 28-Dec-13 11:53:28

Just discovered L'Artisan have killed off Coeur de Vetiver.
Buggers.

florascotia Sat 28-Dec-13 17:41:55

It's dark and wet and windy here, so, by way of contrast, am enjoying a very springlike scent: Balmain de Balmain. Fresh green branches, maybe with undertone of lavender and citrus, plus mossy chypre then sweet smoke (not incense) then powdery iris. Not my absolute favourite Balmain, but still pretty elegant...

cosikitty Sat 28-Dec-13 17:55:46

I haven't visited this thread for ages! Was here under a different name a while ago though! My lovely Dh gave me a bottle of Coromandel for Christmas (a my request of course!) and I love it. Could definitely become my winter fragrance of choice as I could wear it anywhere. I find it to be warm and earthy with a bit of sweetness and perfect for this time of year!

coffeeinbed Sat 28-Dec-13 17:57:06

I've been sticking to Eau Claire de Merveilles with some of the perfume to layer.
Might get out AP Strip for NYE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now