Part 5- And the perfumes just keep on coming...

(999 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Sun 26-May-13 20:55:45

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1711275-Part-4-All-you-ever-need-to-know-about-fragrance-continues

Shiny new thread for some shiny new perfumes (and classics and niche brands)

Fuckitthatlldo Thu 05-Sep-13 09:32:32

Doesn't it Cointreau. That's what I really love about Coromandel - the development is second to none.

It's a bit like a stew really - the longer you leave it, the more all the different flavours and facets meld together, and the more delicious it becomes.

Thank you for the list Toys! Shall have a peruse and get back to you (excited emoticon)

wiltingfast Fri 06-Sep-13 09:19:06

Ooh toys so sorry for your ebay troubles but I would love to see your list too! Spain is gorgeous but perfume difficult between p20 in the day and insect repellent in the evening not that it works!

ToysRLuv Fri 06-Sep-13 13:08:34

wilting: Have sent you a list.. smile Hope you're having a great time!

SOTD: Fendi Theorema. Gorgeous, perfectly blended, smooth, ambery, spicy, yet not heavy, oriental. Fendi are idiots for discontinuing it!

Fuckitthatlldo Fri 06-Sep-13 18:46:45

SOTD: Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau. Licorice and buttery popcorn. I love it.

goodasitgets Sat 07-Sep-13 01:28:08

Pokes head in thread
I've just started experimenting a little more with less mainstream perfume
Was in Selfridges today and smelt l'eau untitled (I think) Maison Martin and the replica Beach Walk one
The first hit of the untitled was very dark chocolate. Then it just turned into something I kept wanting to sniff!
Beach Walk was gorgeous from first smell but I didn't get anything long lasting from it. I do wear a lot of strong citrus scents though. The arm I sprayed that on just smells of warm skin now. If it wasn't so expensive I think I might have got it

TheOnlyWayisGerard Sat 07-Sep-13 01:53:58

I fear I'm a bit late to the party, but here goes...
I'm looking for some perfume inspiration. I like strong smelling scents, amongst my favourites are Alien (current no. 1) and Coco. I also like Chanel no.5 and Burberry London, and Hugo Deep Red. What else might I like? I'm looking for something new.

ToysRLuv Mon 09-Sep-13 20:52:11

Hi there Gerard! Didn't want to leave your question unanswered.. If I were you, I would just try a lot of stuff in perfume shops/counters and see what I liked. Don't try too many things at a time, so your nose doesn't get confused.

Also check out www.fragrantica.com. You can look at your favourite scents there and see what other scents people who like that scent like. You can also see the notes and the groups scents belong to, so you can then search for more with the same notes or group.

Good luck! There's really oo much good stuff there to list.. you just have to go out and try it! smile

Snog Mon 09-Sep-13 22:33:14

i just bought ji malone peony suede blush after trying a magazine sample...love it!

ToysRLuv Mon 09-Sep-13 23:03:52

Well, done, snog! It's always great to find a new perfume love..

Sorry for earlier slightly incomprehensible post (scentity, scentity, scent).. was trying to watch telly at the same time as writing. That clearly didn't work grin Hope you could decipher that, Gerard!

SOTD was Zagorsk to ground me and calm me a bit. Having a bit of a hard week for no particular reason.

ToysRLuv Mon 09-Sep-13 23:04:23

Jeez.. sorry for rogue commas, as well!

Fuckitthatlldo Tue 17-Sep-13 22:30:39

Hello everyone! How are we all?

Today I was shopping in Holland and Barrett and the (young enough to be my son) man behind the counter said to me, "Your perfume smells amazing."

That would be L'air du Desert Marocain.

CointreauVersial Tue 17-Sep-13 23:02:08

Aahhhh, my fave too.

I just bought a decent-sized decant, because my original sample was down to fumes.

SOTD was SL Femininite du Bois. Ooh, I love it, warm, autumnal floral.

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 17-Sep-13 23:16:25

I tried Serge Lutens' newish one the other day - La Fille de Berlin. It is a vile red colour, and the first waft had both me and DD1 gagging. Squashed ladybirds drowning in raspberry vinegar was as close as I could get. And an hour later, it smelled quite wonderful - warm, floral, spicy. But I am not quite sure I could bear the smell for the first hour, before it calmed down.

I told DD1 I would buy her some perfume for her 15th birthday, if she wanted. She did want. I was expecting Marc Jacobs Daisy or something lavatorial from Calvin Klein, but she chose SL Sa Majeste La Rose. Quite surprised by that one!

wiltingfast Wed 18-Sep-13 17:54:30

Lovely choice! You must be doing something right MrsS! No sotd here, am recuperating from a gallbladder. Nasty but over and feeling better by the minute. Just need some time now to go through toys sample list grin

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 18-Sep-13 20:18:29

Sorry to hear you haven't been well Wilting. Glad you're on the mend. Did you get my parcel?

wiltingfast Fri 20-Sep-13 08:29:12

Oh fuckit it arrived yesterday! Thank you so much. Am too poorly to be honest to have stuck my nose in just yet but will be doing so as soon as I am able grin thanks a mill for the surprise annick goutal selection!

Fuckitthatlldo Fri 20-Sep-13 14:05:27

Oh good, I'm glad it arrived safely. I'm sorry it's taken so long. I posted it a week ago! Sorry to hear you're poorly sad Did you have a nice holiday?

wiltingfast Fri 20-Sep-13 23:17:46

Lovely, just magic. Wish I was still there! glares at pesky gallbladder

wiltingfast Mon 23-Sep-13 17:58:56

SOTD ma griffe, only one I could bear the scent of, lovely quiet, slightly green floral but kind of a skin scent too. Enjoying the odd subtle waft.

Did I tell you all my Barcelona perfume hunt debacle, arrived with dh in tow midday Tuesday, did some sightseeing with dh, broke news to him that I wanted to do sephora (I know it's v mainstream but we have none at all here in Ireland!) And the oldest perfume shop which was in the same area but the name of which I forget. He kindly said we'd do them in the morning.

In the morning, every damn thing in the whole city was shut because it was Catalonia day.

Was v disappointed really. Got no other chance to browse perfume either, oh the trials of holidaying with a 2yo. I love her but she doesn't have know how to get me out of a shop quick...

Fuckitthatlldo Mon 23-Sep-13 20:14:06

Oh no, what a shame sad. I hope you get another opportunity soon. There's loads of great places in London if you can ever get there...

I have been out doing the last cut of the season in the gardens today so have been one stinky, sweaty mess. Today in my part of the world it has been like high summer - seriously, I needed my factor 50! So no perfume. But might have a rummage through my sample box after dinner and a bath.

I'm thinking Amouage Lyric. I adore that scent.

wiltingfast Wed 25-Sep-13 22:42:14

Ooh oohn SOTD was a spray of Lyn Harris from M&S La Rose! Loved it! Rose and galbanum, base of musk and patchouli. Different, lovely green soft rose, not too sweet.

Doesn't last though.

Might buy a bottle anyway grin

Where is everyone anyway?

<echo echo echo>

<Halllooooo?!>

I keep missing this thread! I can never find it when I'm looking for it! SOTD has been Chanel Chance eau Tendre. It's one of my favourites

MrsCocoa Wed 25-Sep-13 22:56:50

I'm here Wilting. Wore the M&S Lyn Harris cologne earlier: traditional citrus/green opening, but fades to a comforting base of skin warmed elastoplast. Oddly compelling.

Have also tried L'Agent (Agent Provocateur) this week - I thought a good Coco/Opium hybrid? Anyone tried Theo Fennell (think this fits in same big 80s oriental style?)?

wiltingfast Thu 26-Sep-13 10:36:41

Hello hello! OLL I put the thread in "I'm Watching" so I can find it easily. I don't watch many though!

I thought the cologne was v promising too Mrs C but the rose just blew me away. I'm going to test it again today! I have a bottle of coco but I don't always get on with it very well.

Never even heard of theo fennell blush so no help to you there I'm afraid.

CointreauVersial Thu 26-Sep-13 23:44:04

Theo Fennell is a jewellery designer; I guess he's jumped on the fragrance bandwagon.

I'm off to Heathrow tomorrow, so will be sniffing my way around the Duty Free shop (not buying, though....). Prague for the weekend - yay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now