had a refusal in boots, went to buy some mascara, I haven't got a clue..... help me PLEASE!

(45 Posts)
bigbuttons Sat 25-May-13 18:32:01

I just want some that won't clump. I don't need to look like my lashes are 20 ft long. There were a thousand different types, different wand styles, all claiming brilliance.
How the hell am I supposed to know which are good and which are crap? I thought my head was going to explode so I walked out and decided to ask on here first.
Please, please can you recommend brands you really like or even tell which ones to avoid?

auldspinster Mon 27-May-13 10:49:58

I like the gold max factor masterpiece one the best, the black one was a bit clumpy on me. I also rate the waterproof aldi mascara.

Another vote for Maybelline.

You need one of those teeny eyelash combs, though - flick it through immediately after you do your mascara and it should get rid of any clumps.

rubyflipper Sun 26-May-13 21:23:42

Max Factor Masterpiece Max here - gives you lovely, long, thick lashes for under a tenner.

bigbuttons Sun 26-May-13 21:20:07

emuz I didn't need to have longer lashes, I am thankfully blessed with long ones, but I read that the lash accelerator really conditions the lashes and makes them look this and lush... here's hoping!

bigbuttons Sun 26-May-13 21:18:11

That's great because I have just bought some lash accelerator! Thank you for all your advicesmile

Shitsinger Sun 26-May-13 20:32:55

Rimmel lash accelerator here .Its brilliant and encourages your lashes to grow.
My stumpy lashes are long and lovelysmile.

EMUZ Sun 26-May-13 16:18:52

Oops read it wrong and thought you wanted mega long lashes blush
I would go with max factor masterpiece or no 7 exceptional definition
<not makeup junkie>

EMUZ Sun 26-May-13 16:17:33

L'oreal telescopic. I wear the carbon black one. Doesn't thicken or anything just gives mega long lashes

bigbuttons Sun 26-May-13 15:23:48

I have been using the max factor collection 200 and find it clumps terribly, hence this thread!

ExscooseMeMrOfficer Sun 26-May-13 10:11:01

My favourite is ysl faux cils it's great

coffeeinbed Sun 26-May-13 10:09:49

They are all the same.
I only ever use what's in the GWP bags and have survived.
grin

missmartha Sun 26-May-13 09:28:17

Collection 2000 and a Max Factor one that I would recognise but can't remember right no what it's called.

Neither clump, neither are £££, both do the job really well.

I just can't be doing with waterproof. I can't get it off even with the remover stuff it sits there, encasing my lashes and laughing at me.

Barry M lash modelling is just like the benefit they're real but less than half the price.

I asked the same a few years ago.

Max factor masterpiece was recomended. I've used it since. No clumping just a bit of definition. I use it in black/brown as I think it is a little less harsh.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 26-May-13 08:51:26

One of the Lancome Hypnose ones. I did a comparison with the best Clinique one and Hypnose was best, can't remember which Hypnose though. Will check it out. I have Max Factor Masterpiece and Avon also. I will buy the Hypnose one next.

sweetsoulsister Sun 26-May-13 07:42:51

The benefit 'they're real' comes free in Elle magazine at the moment - worth it b/c it's free, I would not pay for it otherwise, it's okay but nothing special.

And I would avoid No 7, I bought some as part of a special and it was pointless on my lashes.

I would go to the beauty counter if you have some cash to splash and get the makeup girls to suggest something. I'm off to MAC when I get the chance - I like big lashes and have a feeling they'd have the mascara of my dreams.

ItsYonliMe Sun 26-May-13 04:46:02

OP, what's a "refusal in Boots". I don't understand that bit.

BabCNesbitt Sat 25-May-13 22:02:28

Can I put a good word in for Barry M mascaras? I've been wearing the Intense Black Mascara for a couple of years, after having been a mascara tart all my life. It doesn't make me look like I've had extensions, but it doesn't clump, it just defines the lashes and it doesn't smudge all over the under eye area by the end of the day. And there's usually some kind of offer in Boots or Superdrug.

Trying2bMindful Sat 25-May-13 21:23:12

I have a lovely Chanel one.
However the best thing I found was fake eye lashes - the ones where the Lash Angel sticks a fake one to each individual lash you have.
A M A Z I N Ggrin
My Lash Angel comes to my house. Charges £80 for a full set (£60 if I go to her). I don't need mascara for 7 weeks & they look great.
Def worth the money.

cornypedicure Sat 25-May-13 21:14:44

i like hpnose by lancome

The Aldi one has a white and black end which gives fuller lashes with less black used. It has never clumped and never run down my face smile I have hay fever which is murder on mascara and the Aldi one is best for me.

Locketjuice Sat 25-May-13 20:37:51

Collection 2000, the one in the black tube with yellow writing it's £5 and amazing smile to stop the clumping use a mascara brush that's pretty much dried up after your normal full mascara and it leaves you with thick long lashes smile

Max Factor Lash Extension in brown-black, natural looking lashes just longer, darker and slightly thicker looking.

bigbuttons Sat 25-May-13 20:23:30

does anyone understand all the different wand shapes? Are they just gimmicks?

Wheresthecoffee Sat 25-May-13 20:16:56

Avon Superextend. It's £8.50 and one of the best Ive ever used. No clumps, it doesn't flake off, gives clear definition without looking unnatural and with an easy to use straight wand. No, I don't work for Avon but I'm delighted to have found a mascara that suits me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now