Which are the most expensive gemstones?

(64 Posts)
harbinger Fri 24-May-13 17:52:34

If one had a piece of X vs a piece of Y, both with the same cut,clarity and whatever, are diamonds the most expensive?

What follows?

blushes awww thankyou.... it's combining my two addictions- jewellery and mumsnetting wink

hollyisalovelyname Sun 26-May-13 08:38:59

Saw the thread title and knew Mrs. C would know the answer. Was hoping she'd come along and she did. Ace as always.

shattered I've got a 3 carat purple sapphire in my engagement ring and I am always bashing it on stuff because it sticks out. The stone is perfect, not a Mark on it, so I think they're pretty robust!

mirai Sun 26-May-13 07:41:43

I will do, I'll be passing by tomorrow actually so I will take a pic and maybe you can tell me what you think!! grin

YouCanCallMeBetty Sat 25-May-13 14:59:35

Thanks mrscumberbatch!

I love Tanzanite... don't have any for myself but definitely wouldn't say no wink Get a dishwasher novice!

mirai, take pictures!! Sounds gorgeous.

And vivienne-spot on!

Viviennemary Sat 25-May-13 11:45:37

I was told years ago a flawless emerald was more expensive than a flawless diamond as they are scarcer. But I think pink diamonds are possibly rarer and more expensive. And also I expect the fashion of the moment will affect prices.

mirai Sat 25-May-13 11:40:14

Thanks mrscumberbatch. I tried it on yesterday and it was just divine, an oval with little diamond accents, 18k yellow gold. Trying to talk myself into it! smile

noviceoftheday Sat 25-May-13 11:37:11

Tanzanite is my new favourite gemstone. Only problem is that its known as being soft like emeralds so don't do the washing up in it! I have got 2 rings and they're fabsmile

mirai - yellow sapphire is nice. Not as expensive as a pink but still a premium buy!

Callmebetty...if you speak to your local jeweller (not a chain) they should be able to sort you out with somebody in your area. (Also you're a lucky sod!)

Nessa, that is true, but before they were used in industry their massive surge in popularity was down to the De Beers campaign/brainwashing. Zara's article is pretty spot on. Good find!

ZaraW Sat 25-May-13 08:51:31

An article on pricing for diamonds which is interesting
www.economist.com/node/456025

NessaYork Sat 25-May-13 07:55:19

Diamonds are expensive because they are one of the hardest naturally occuring substances. Pure carbon, with each atom linked to its neighbour, it makes a perfect, extremly hard molecular structure. This is why they are used in industry and THAT is why they are so precious. It's not just clever marketing.

5318008 Sat 25-May-13 07:50:56

What a fab thread, love it.

Gerorf, there was a fire opal in that little jeweller in the lane behind what was m and s, in gloucester, the sainsbury end. Forget the lane name, was oooh twenty yrs ago. I coveted that ring.

ZaraW Sat 25-May-13 07:36:00

I have a tsavorite ring which is a beautiful green. My favourite stone is emerald but it is around 7 I think in terms of hardness and has imperfections which are filled by castor oil.

Personally, I always by my stones seperately and then get the stone set. AJS gems are a great website you can get beautiful gems for less than a hundred pounds.

Also I haven't read all the posts so this may have been mentioned. De Beers set the price of diamonds artificially high they double the value so that diamonds are seen as "exclusive".

YouCanCallMeBetty Sat 25-May-13 05:42:54

This thread is so interesting.

DH has a few uncut emeralds that a friend gave him when he lived in Africa. Have no idea what quality they are - they just look like dusty old stones to me!

How would I find a gem dealer who might buy them? Would it be better to have them cut first?

mirai Sat 25-May-13 05:22:56

Is yellow sapphire particularly rare or valuable? There's a beautiful ring near me but it's not cheap...

I am. I'm near Glasgow, are you too?

Local manafacturing jewellers can make whatever you want for you using stones that you already have. Or some of them will be able to source the stones for you too. A good jeweller won't charge you for sourcing the stones, they just charge you for the work entailed and the raw resources required.

Going via the jeweller would probably be easiest to be honest as they might be able to get better prices with stone merchant than yourself. (It's all about who knows who.... it's cliquier than the school gates!)

harbinger Fri 24-May-13 23:04:23

I think that you are in Scotland. Could the local jewellers use the stones?

Harbinger, for stones i use local gemstone dealer. They don't really like advertising because it's a bit of a word of mouth thing. The only ones in the know are the people that need to know if you get what I mean?

Probably a security thing. I'll PM you the details for the place I use if you like, but they don't have a website or anything. Let me know and I'll send it over wink

Shattered, sapphire is soft in relation to diamond but it's not a soft stone. I have a sapphire ring that I wear a lot and it's fine. As with all gemstones though- it's not recommended that you wear them while cleaning etc. If I'm wearing diamonds I don't bother taking them off but if it was sapphire then I probably would.

It's all relative,but sapphire is not 'soft, it's just 'softer' than a diamond.

Only thing I'd consider with a purple sapphire in a channel set- it can look very dark. You don't really get to see the colour of the stone properly as the light doesn't pass through the stone in a channel set. Depending on the colour of the stone you end up with it might not look the way that you want. To err on the side of caution I'd go for a lighter coloured sapphire rather than a deep hue.

And when it comes to stones cheap doesn't necessarily mean yellow (there can be flaws, inclusions, etc etc.) For a channel set you won't need huge stones in comparison to your engagement ring, so that helps keep the stone cost down too.

harbinger Fri 24-May-13 22:34:48

Always liked it. Let's see....

Where do you trust for stones?

Mrscumber can I wade in on your knowledge?
I DH am in the market for an eternity ring.
I need platinum, want square cut stones to match my engagement solitaire but I want a thin band 4mm probably, channel set.
I have my heart set on purple sapphire with diamonds (half way round)
But someone told DH that sapphire is too soft.... Is this true?

And my engagement is a D colour loupe clean stone, will anything cheap look too yellow?

Ooh nice. I like Georj Jensen. He's my favourite silversmith/design house and very collectable! (The 60's , 70's stuff is phenomenal)

harbinger Fri 24-May-13 22:22:49

As it's 25th also looking at Scandinavian Silver.

harbinger Fri 24-May-13 22:20:33

Really! I wouldn't want to see this one go. DH is known!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now