Straw poll - will you be wearing leggings under dresses this summer?

(267 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Fri 24-May-13 15:20:25

I hope this is still acceptable!

Dresses are so, so short everywhere!

Leggings mean I don't have to fake tan blush and keep me warm!

Will you be wearing leggings this summer?

I will be.

toastandmarmiterocks Fri 24-May-13 16:15:22

No to leggings I'm afraid. I don't think they are flattering.

SgtTJCalhoun Fri 24-May-13 16:17:04

Yes. Most of my friends do too and we are not a frumpy bunch at all wink.

Pinkflipflop Fri 24-May-13 16:18:48

What is the difference between a short dress and a tunic?

nkf Fri 24-May-13 16:19:04

I will. It's great. The summer frock for the sunny intervals. The leggings because it will be chilly. And a cardi for the windy bits. Dated? Who cares?

Pagwatch Fri 24-May-13 16:23:17

If people want to wear them I don't recoil in horror or anything.
I just don't like them not least because anything that cuts your leg in half makes legs look shorter and mine are short enough.
I just look for knee length. I can wear knee length. French connection have some nice knee length summer dresses. I have about three of those.
I only wear skirts and dresses so mine get worn for great chunks of the year

parabelle Fri 24-May-13 16:28:01

Am wearing dress (v. short) and leggings today. May have ruined the look with winter books, cardigan and a winter coat. It's sooooo cold!

LilacBreastedRoller Fri 24-May-13 16:28:19

I've never done this and I'm not about to start now. If I think a dress it too short to feel comfortable in, I just don't buy it. By it's very nature a dress isn't something which prompts me to consider extra bottom-half garments. But I don't care if other people do this, it's just not for me.

LilacBreastedRoller Fri 24-May-13 16:29:14

blush at "it's".

Trill Fri 24-May-13 16:30:08

No.

FrugalFashionista Fri 24-May-13 16:52:20

I'd probably have the varicose veins seen to and treated. A friend just had this done and she is very happy with the results. In the meantime, wear leggings by all means. But does the top really need to be a dress?

LadyVoldemort Fri 24-May-13 17:12:38

It's a no from me.
I hate my legs so either wear linen trews, maxi dresses/skirts or knee length dresses. Leggings just don't look right on me

SgtTJCalhoun Fri 24-May-13 17:15:38

Yes because we're all in the position of being able to have touch up cosmetic surgery to correct our little imperfections frugalfashionista grin.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Fri 24-May-13 17:17:58

I will be.

thoughtsbecomethings Fri 24-May-13 17:19:33

With dresses I will depends on the style of the dress.

FrugalFashionista Fri 24-May-13 17:36:15

My friend had hers done via the public healthcare system. MIL had the same procedure. Both very satisfied. And another friend had some ugly spider veins zapped with a laser and it cost less than 100€. But that of course would buy a lot of leggings - your choice... wink

Yonihadtoask Fri 24-May-13 17:38:46

Not me. I wear running capris most days - for running.

If am wearing a dress - I am bare legged.

If it's cold - I wear jeans. Still waiting to get out my summer dresses..

FunLovinBunster Fri 24-May-13 17:42:37

Bit Chav, tbh.

VikkiiKawaii Fri 24-May-13 17:44:01

I wear leggings with some of my dresses and I certainly don't think I'm a chav. It's comfy and good for the day when it's just a touch to cold to go bare legged.

RussiansOnTheSpree Fri 24-May-13 17:49:10

God yes. Or tights. Or jeans. Because ultimately WARMTH is what matters. HTH

BranchingOut Fri 24-May-13 17:50:25

No, I never got into this and think it is a bit late to start now...

I tend to wear knee length or just above knee length dresses and ignore any imperfections on my legs. When it is super hot, I really don't care!

Decided not to worry about maxi dresses this year either. Tried last year and couldnt find one - my stomach is still a bit bulgy (size 12), so I don't think they're for me. The rest of me is fairly slim, so the tendency to look a bit pregnant is always a danger in a maxi dress.

nkf Fri 24-May-13 17:51:26

I think the combination looks simple and feels comfortable. But that's what I like. I don't think that I've ever liked anything that is highly regarded on MN. For example, the advice to wear jeans and heels on a date. And I notice that everything that gets the thumbs down is high on my list of desirable clothing.

My plump thighs chafe and I don't think blotchy pale legs look very nice anyway and I'm not doing fake tan - so leggings best option grin

I would. Not because I feel the cold (which I do) but because the skin on my legs is awful, no matter how much I exfoliate, moisturise etc. No-one wants to see that!

Soupa Fri 24-May-13 18:00:19

Oh yes, my legs ruin the look of a summer frock. More bill beaumont than Kate moss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now