Straw poll - will you be wearing leggings under dresses this summer?

(267 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Fri 24-May-13 15:20:25

I hope this is still acceptable!

Dresses are so, so short everywhere!

Leggings mean I don't have to fake tan blush and keep me warm!

Will you be wearing leggings this summer?

AmazingDisgrace Sat 25-May-13 21:04:28

I will be. My legs are blue white and I'd cause multiple pile ups with the sun reflecting off them otherwisewink

Kernowgal Sat 25-May-13 21:05:24

Another one afflicted with varicose veins, also am 5'10, so leggings under dresses means I can wear shorter dresses. Also nice under a fitted denim skirt (no doubt another fashion faux pas).

I hate tights and the tops of my thighs are rather plump so going without isn't an option because of chafing. Also I look like a man in drag in a maxi dress so would rather not bother.

As an alternative I've been looking at 'wiggle' dresses that end below the knee. Then I can wear those anti-chafe pant things but don't have to wear any hosiery to hide the horrid veins.

As for wide-leg linen trousers: NO. At least not on me, because they make my arse look like two puppies having a fight in a bin bag.

Kernowgal Sat 25-May-13 21:21:16

And I wish that varicose vein treatment was available via NHS still. Quotes for private work vary from £1-1.5k per leg. And that's the op, not the initial consultations. So yeah, I'll carry on with the leggings thank you very much.

I am very very envious of anyone who has good legs.

ehmumbo Sat 25-May-13 21:27:34

This thread is worrying on many levels hmm

Pagwatch Sat 25-May-13 21:36:47

Well yes. Except no, it really isn't worrying.

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 25-May-13 21:39:57

Yes it fine

what a strange thing to have such strong feelings about, leggings without a dress/ tunic to cover the, er, bum only look good on 15yr old girls but other than that I don't see why it offends so many people to wear leggings with a dress hmm

In summer I prefer not to but the type of work I do means that if I want to wear a dress I have to wear leggings.

showerhead Sat 25-May-13 22:22:22

i too have a varicose vein on one leg- would love to get it removed.

MrsRickyMartin Sat 25-May-13 23:19:34

Say no to leggings. Yes to tights. And yes to hold ups (my favourites).

ANJALI777 Sun 26-May-13 01:07:03

I know what you mean, Pretty the leggings up with nice anklets, or sling some boots on if weather is bad. I prefer leggings to tights as I can wear prettier shoes. Truth is , I can wear dresses I never could have worn if it wasn't for tights or leggings. xx

Boomba me too!

HotBurrito1 Sun 26-May-13 08:25:47

Nooooo! Like Mollybee, I don't own any leggings.

Public service broadcast: it's ok to bare your legs whatever colour they are.

Yes i will, i have varicose veins which are very unsightly. I don't think i would wear dresses at all if leggings weren't available.

Ubermumsy Sun 26-May-13 09:20:00

I also sometimes wear jeans under dresses. Even (whisper it) bootcut. I know - the horror, the horror.

hackneybird Sun 26-May-13 09:21:34

I wear grey leggings with a dark denim tunic dress, and YELLOW superga trainers. It's one of my fave outfits. I also often wear black leggings with a couple of other dresses. I have horrible chunky legs and cellulite, and it makes me feel less self conscious.

I think it's in general a look that works best with tunic type dresses or block colour rather than summery floaty dresses though.

I live in Hackney and work in Soho and I see leggings with dresses a lot so I don't quite understand why people think it's not a fashionable look.

boatclub Sun 26-May-13 11:23:56

Under dresses and long tunics yes but shorter tunics need trousers or jeans. My rule is no legginged arse on show.

ehmumbo Fri 31-May-13 08:51:29

What toastedteacakes said! it's the onlookers problem if they are 'horrified' by your attire. not yours.

Might I remind you that women threw themselves under horses and carts in order that you would be able to vote and not care what people think about what you wear. get a grip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now