Foundation for bad skin?

(22 Posts)
quizzywizz Thu 23-May-13 18:17:14

My skin is pale and blotchy with dark under eye shadows, red spots that take ages to heal, and blackheads that nothing seems to shift. (Hideous really and depressing)

I have been using the Dream Matte Mouse but even after I apply that plus concealer I can still see the unevenness and spots. Plus it lasts about an hour tops.

I really want a foundation that lasts and gives good coverage. Nothing super expensive though!

I just want to not feel like I have to keep covering my face. The way my skin looks (and the rest of my tbh) makes me really embarrassed and self conscious and I struggle to even look at people - try to be invisible most of the time.

Any recommendations for foundation?

Maybe I need better concealer too - currently using a No 7 one and the Benefit under eye one.

Bonkerz Thu 23-May-13 18:20:10

My skin is really uneven all over. I went into boots and they used that new face detecting thingy machine and advised on foundation. Can u do that?

Allthingspretty Thu 23-May-13 19:13:08

Op pop to your docs about the spots. Would a compact foundation give you better coverage?i think the body shop do one

rootypig Thu 23-May-13 19:39:15

A primer will colour correct, even everything out and keep your foundation in place all day. But a good one will cost a bit. Smashbox is excellent.

ilikesweetpeas Thu 23-May-13 19:58:59

I find using primer really helps, I use boots own brand then Estée Lauder double wear foundation. Tried many brands and that lasts best on me.

Well, Estée Lauder Double Wear WILL do what you want it to do but it is quite heavy feeling, and a bit pricey.

Ha ha x-posts!

I use No.7 Lasting Perfect foundation. It's not too heavy (I tried EL Double Wear Light but couldn't get a shade pale enough) and I find it lasts all day.

*Stay Perfect

what was I meant to say!

I use lily lilo mineral foundation. Really evens out my skin tone

Ethlinn Thu 23-May-13 20:16:36

I have really bad skin too. I use Dior Forever with a primer. I love Smahbox (if I can afford it). On maternity leave now and can't afford it, so tried Loreal and it works really well too. Dior Forever stays on for ages and covers really well.

PretAPorter Thu 23-May-13 20:23:29

Mineral foundation is a good choice for greasy skins as cream foundations can block pores and create more problems than they solve/hide over time. Bare minerals or Lily Lilo. But agree you should see a doctor, there are some great prescription spot creams

I use one layer of rimmel, and then one layer of maxfactor.

Rimmel concealer is my favourite too for before and after foundation and cheap as chips.

I've been covering up for a LONG time. I use a highlighter such as moonbeam from benefit sometimes to touch lightly on any bumps.

I can't make mineral work as it seems to show up my pores.

sunlight and roaccutane are the only thing that work for my spots. The advantage of cream foundations is that I appear to have kept youngish looking skin if a bit like a 14yr olds

Starlight I agree about the Rimmel concealer. I've used it for years and it is definitely the best one I have tried.

I use the No7 concealer under eyes though as it's not drying.

jalopy Fri 24-May-13 06:45:46

Which Rimmel concealer? Hide the Blemish or Match perfect?

acceptableinthe80s Fri 24-May-13 06:54:37

I can recommend no.7 bb cream. I've always needed foundation due to uneven skin and bought this last week, and have'nt needed foundation at all.

plannedshock Fri 24-May-13 07:02:03

The bare minerals is excellent. It lasts for ages so doesn't work out too expensive, you can always get it online abit cheaper, not sure if they still do it but they used to do a starter kit for around £40/£50 which is a bit of an out lay but it had all the brushes, which are fab, 2 shades of foundation-1 for the summer 1 for winter a pot of warmth (cross between bronzer/blusher) primer, a mineral veil and cd.

freerangeeggs Fri 24-May-13 07:20:50

Your skin sounds a bit like mine.

For the undereye shadows, I use Bobbi Brown corrector in light bisque. It's a kind of pinky colour that cancels out the blueness of the skin. I put my regular concealer over the top.

For spots & blackheads, I've accepted they're never going to go completely. My doctor has prescribed me antibiotics, which help. Differin in particular makes a real difference to the texture of my skin (and is also apparently pretty good on wrinkles - bonus!). Lots of people swear by Duac, which contains Benzoyl peroxide and a topical antibiotic. If the spots are really bad you might want to look into Roaccutane, which cures them but has a lot of side effects (I didn't find it too bad, personally).

You can further help the blackheads through daily exfoliation. I use dermalogica daily microfoliant - it's expensive but it lasts a long time.

TCP is amazing on spots. Try it!

My current foundation is Estee Lauder Doublewear light (tried doublewear but found it a bit cakey and mask-like). If you go to an Estee counter they'll colour match you and give you a free sample. It's the longest lasting foundation I've tried on my oily skin. I use concealer (a Mac one) over the top.

HTH smile

Jalopy - i use hide the blemish in ivory.

jalopy Fri 24-May-13 09:19:38

Ah. Thanks, Lady.

Hide the blemish in ivory.

How do you stop the mineral foundations making you look like spongebob squarepants?

My pores positively GAPE when wearing it.

WileyRoadRunner Fri 24-May-13 09:44:41

When I used to have bad skin I used Clinique BB cream and then their anti blemish foundation on the top. This covered uneven skin tone, stopped me shining like an oil slick and covered pores.

Now my skin is better i use the even better Clinique foundation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now