Alternatives to converse - recommendations?

(28 Posts)
ellesabe Wed 22-May-13 20:56:29

So I tried on a pair of converse the other day for the first time (I know).

The regular ones were too narrow but the hi tops were fine and I loved them!

However I just cannot bring myself to spend £50 on a pair of shoes. Are there any decent alternatives out there? Has anyone tried the Lee Cooper hi tops from Sports Direct?

CakeInMyFace Fri 24-May-13 07:38:12

They aren't trainers, but I have these from Clarks. They are ridiculously comfy and despite the fact that they look a little like old lady shoes, they do actually look really nice with just about anything. I've worn them out in the rain a few times and they have been fine.

HoneyDragon Fri 24-May-13 07:07:14

My leather converse were £18.00 and my navy were £16.00. Both from La Redoute. I just wait for a good discount code.

They are worth what they cost.

Bunbaker Fri 24-May-13 07:04:14

I bought some Converse lookalikes from Barratts yesterday, cost £8.00. The soles are very thick and I am light on my feet as I never seem to wear through the soles of shoes, so they should last.

ivanapoo Thu 23-May-13 22:18:58

I find converse really uncomfortable and want something ideally a bit more water resistant too... Does a more supportive, less canvassy converse type shoe exist?

mrspolkadotty Thu 23-May-13 21:45:00

I've got some Keds, £35 and i love them. I've got the blue floral ones.

Felt a bit 'clowny' in Converse.

CakeInMyFace Thu 23-May-13 18:38:33

That should say super comfy!

CakeInMyFace Thu 23-May-13 18:37:21

I got some lookalikes in navy from Sainsburys for a tenner...super too.

lissieloo Thu 23-May-13 16:02:15

have a look on Spartoo as well

PearlyWhites Thu 23-May-13 15:57:58

New look, Hudson and rose are a tenner and look really good

lissieloo Thu 23-May-13 15:53:30

I have a pair of gola hi tops, and I love them.

MadeOfStarDust Thu 23-May-13 15:52:07

New Look have some great canvas shoes/hi - tops - my girls have a few pairs of them since they cost between £12 and 18...

Spookey80 Thu 23-May-13 15:46:19

I buy my converse on eBay, have had several pairs from there that were good.

Workadvicerequired Thu 23-May-13 14:03:54

MandMdirect often have cheap Converse. I like Keds too but they're not really any cheaper.

DeathMetalMum Thu 23-May-13 13:57:19

Imo converse are worth the price tag. For me they last so much longer 2-3 years at least of regular use, more than any other similar type shoe. Others tend to last a year max before I walk through the soles.

I like Rocket Dogs - £37 usually and you can often get them in the sale at Schuh or New Look.

itsnothingoriginal Thu 23-May-13 13:42:59

The Lee Cooper ones from Sports Direct are great - I have a pair of them and a pair of Superga. Definitely recommend both!

happyreindeer Thu 23-May-13 10:37:34

You can buy them from Very catalogue and pay them up.

mum47 Thu 23-May-13 09:14:29

Brand Alley sometimes have Converse deals. I got a lovely pair in TK Maxx a couple of years ago for £20.

Chigley1 Thu 23-May-13 09:12:12

I have the Lee Cooper ones from Sports Direct, I have both the hi and low ones. Haven't worn the hi-tops yet but the others are fine. My son has some too, they were about £8!

Bunbaker Thu 23-May-13 09:03:53

DD's feet are still growing (she is only 12) so that is why I won't buy Converse. I have told her she can have some when her feet stop growing. The New Look ones aren't too wide.

Skinheadmermaid Thu 23-May-13 09:02:12

I find the plastic toe bit on fake converse is too wide and made my feet look like a clowns but maybe thats just me!
I picked up a near new white pair of converse for £20 on ebay recently so its worth lurking on there. You can get brand new ones in plain colours for about £35.
They do last, i've had a green pair for about 5 years. Also when they get too grubby you can just shove them in the washing machine.

cyanarasamba Thu 23-May-13 08:17:45

I just bought some tbs opiace and I love them. I have wide feet too.

Bunbaker Thu 23-May-13 08:11:52

I refuse to pay out for Converse shoes, which after all, are just plimsolls. I bought DD a pair of Converse lookalikes from New Look last week and she is thrilled with them. She says they are very comfortable as well.

literarygeek Thu 23-May-13 01:02:06

How about toms? i have two pairs and live in them from around april-september. or ethletic(converse style, ethical and a bit cheaper)

PenelopePipPop Wed 22-May-13 22:59:14

Office online always have quite a lot of stuff on sale so if you are not too fussed on this season's colours look there. I personally wear Vans not Converse and they have loads of those at the mo. I bought a pair last week which I'd seen in store at full price (£52!!!!!!!) and got for £25.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now