Have you used the Brazilian Hair Straightening / Blow-Dry Home Keratin Treatment from Amazon?

(400 Posts)
nobodysfool Wed 22-May-13 13:11:35

I have read lots of threads about this kit and people seem to rave about it to reduce the frizziness in hair but I remember reading a while back that some contain formaldehyde and I concerned that this one contains it. I have read the ingredients but am unsure if formaldehyde goes by other chemical names?
Just worried I'll do damage to myself for the sake of frizz free hair.
Any ideas?

FattyMcChubster Mon 27-May-13 19:37:19

I have spent a fortune on keratin treatments that have not worked.
Bought a Matrix Opti Smooth for a fraction of the price and have had amazing hair since.
It's a chemical straightener like the opposite to a perm but I no longer have to straighten my hair (was like sideshow bob before) and can even leave to air dry! Amazing.
It will last until I grows out and hasn't damaged it at all. Infact, as I don't use my straighteners anymore, it's in better condition than ever.
Takes about 2.5 hours to do but more than worth it.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 27-May-13 20:05:29

wench colour first or do treatment then wait two weeks... decisions. i coloured mine about 4 days before and it was fine.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 27-May-13 20:56:56

I use this and it's amazing. Turns my naturally wavy/frizzy hair into shiny, swishy tresses grin. I last did it in Jan and it just about needs doing again, so I'm going to order one soon. Even my hairdresser noticed the difference in the texture and compliance of my hair before I even mentioned I'd used it.

redhappy Tue 28-May-13 17:09:36

Those of you who've had this done at a salon, which brands were used? You can buy single use quantities of professional brands on amazon and ebay. I'm planning to do this, I just don't know which one to get!!

I got my friend who is a hairdresser to look at the one everyone raves about and she thought there would be much better quality brands available, it's just knowing which ones!

I just bought Coppola brand Keratin Complex shampoo and conditioner from ebay and I'm very pleased with it.

popsnsqeeze Tue 28-May-13 17:23:08

I bought one months ago but had to wait until I stopped breastfeeding, and then until i cut my hair.
Planning to do it tonight with DH's help...!

It's fab, plus dc3 is 4 weeks and not affected his bf

After reading this I have bought my kit from Amazon and am thinking today is the day. However I have a couple of quick questions before i start - did your hair smell during the three days you couldnt wash it? And for those of you who said you had greasy hair during the three days, would your hair normally be greasy without washing for this time or was this the product causing it? (I have dry hair that doesnt really go greasy so am wondering if therefore my hair won't look too greasy after 3 days). I have a night out planned on Saturday evening and don't really want smelly / greasy hair!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 30-May-13 08:47:08

I think my hair would be pretty greasy anyway but do think the product has made it a bit more so generally as it looks so smooth and shiney it appears to be flatter so shows the greasiness more if this makes sense. suprisingly it did not smell after being done, despite the stuff smelling quite toxic once hair was dry and straightened it wasn't lingering like a perm used to. HTH good luck

fuckitybollocks Thu 30-May-13 09:07:23

Has anyone used this just to smooth and defrizZ curly hair? I do not want it straight although could lose a little curl? I would love swishy hair though!

nobodysfool Thu 30-May-13 09:28:21

Wow thanks for all your replies! I have sent off for it and can't wait for it to arrive grin ill report back on how it worked in mine.

Thanks Eccles cakes, will be applying today.
Did you all do three days and three nights before washing?

JazzDalek Thu 30-May-13 11:07:49

fuckity I didn't, but having read pretty much every other MN thread ever about the product before buying it, there were people who did what you describe and were successful. The kit is not really a straightening treatment - the straightening effect relies on repeated use of irons, so if you didn't do that you wouldn't get straight hair. It would certainly defrizz you and increase swooshiness.

Merkin I did four days and nights - I had a free day and nothing to do so left it a bit longer.

fuckitybollocks Thu 30-May-13 11:36:13

So, would I follow the instructions just omitting the blow drying and straightening? I am off to search for any threads about doing this. Do report back all you who are giving it a go! Having messed up colouring my hair I need to remove it and re dye so I will not be able to use the kit for a couple of weeks.

I am clearly up for a go through - I cut about 3 inches off my hair this morning in an attempt to get rid of some of the dye and frizzy bits!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 30-May-13 11:39:50

merkin oh yes, seems that's the really important part but I suffered... oh how I suffered grin looked like I'd had my head in a chip pan so such a relief when the 3 days were up.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 30-May-13 11:43:49

fuckity on the instructions it says once its straightened not to get it wet or ties it up or anything as the shape its in is the shape it will stay in, so if you get a kink in the kink will stay. based on that I guess if you apllied it and dried it to whatever style you prefer then in theory it should stay like that but in lovely condition and swishy and shiney. I guess I don't really understand the science so no idea how important the heat thing is from irons.

My biggest worry is sleeping... when i wake up on a morning my hair is like a bees nest and don't really want it to end up like that permanently!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Thu 30-May-13 13:29:15

Fuckity I have naturally curly hair and as I said upthread I use this product and it's fab. I wear my hair straight sometimes and curly at other times, and find this product makes my hair much less frizzy when it's curly. If I straighten my hair it stays straight and doesn't go frizzy in rain or humidity. It's brilliant!

However, when putting the product on you have to follow the instructions to the letter or it won't work - I believe it's all heat activated, so you'll definitely need to blow dry your hair until the product has dried on it, then straighten it, then wait 3-ish days before washing again. When you next wash you can style your hair curly if you prefer and it will be less frizzy but it won't actually straighten hair as such because it's not a straightening product.

Someone asked if it smells - I'd say yes, it definitely smells on your hair. The first day or so is the worst, then it gradually reduces and after you wash it you can't smell the product at all. My hair didn't go greasy though. I tend to do mine on a Tuesday as I don't work Tuesdays, then wash it on the following Saturday morning.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 30-May-13 13:34:07

merkin with this stuff a) you won't wake up with a nest and b) if it does not lie smooth you just run the irons through again and its fine. honestly, mine was so smooth and sleek I did not need to do anything to it except run a comb through, the biggest problem I had was stopping myself from touching it all the time and acting like a girl in a hair advert. smile

fuckitybollocks Thu 30-May-13 13:44:19

Soft kitty, that answers some of my questions. I don't own a hair dryer or irons as I always let my hair dry naturally (with loads of gunk). Any attempt at intervention makes it frizzier. It sounds as though it might be tricky to do this.

Right, thanks to all your helpful answers I have just started on my quest for swishy straight hair!. Suspect this will take all afternoon - i have just washed twice with clarifying shampoo and now off to blowdry pre putting the treatment on. Wish me luck! Can update later if anyone is interested....

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 30-May-13 15:15:41

oooh great, let me know how it goes.

Have just finished applying the keratin (took me 35 mins for long thick hair). Including initial wash and blow dry so far has taken nearly an hour (and the longest bit still to go!) The smell is strange, its not strong or unpleasant exactly it just gets up your nose and tingles. Will update again after hours of blow drying and straightening!

foxysocks Thu 30-May-13 15:39:43

I am so tempted but can't blowdry my own hair. Am shit at it, don't even own a dryer. I wash and leave to dry naturally then use ghds to straighten. Would this work or do you need to do the drying stage too?

Purpleknickers Thu 30-May-13 15:41:03

Washed mine today, the Keratin had been on 4 full days and nights and its now beautiful, much easier to blow dry and barely any need to straighten. I love it

Whatever you do make sure you follow the hairdryer on medium setting when you dry the product on otherwise it will really sting your eyes

Purpleknickers Thu 30-May-13 15:42:48

foxy you do need to use a drier I believe it is heat activated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now