Opinions on this bag?

(106 Posts)

That's lovely desperateH! I already have a shopper, but would def consider if I needed one! (although I always prefer it when they come with optional cross body strap - I am fussy)

And oddly, I am still attracted to the Hobbs bag.

Prefer the cream, but wear a lot of navy, so just don't know. The size and design is just ideal for me - I just can't justify a tiny, non pocketed bag like the Chloe, even if it's cute!

I think we Shouldn't be judging it as 'too expensive for high street'. The gulf between high street and designer has narrowed enormously. The quality of Hobbs, Jaegar etc is up there with M by MJ, M Kors etc. I think the fact that it is understated without loads of branding is v attractive.

YoniOno Wed 22-May-13 12:05:01

I disagree - personal taste obviously means someone might prefer the more understated design but the leather quality of M by MJ bags can't be beaten by high st. IMO it's better than many more expensive designer brands. I like many Jaeger / Hobbs designs, Jigsaw also worth a look, but they are overpriced for the quality IMO. Obviously branding doesn't = quality though as we can all agree I'm sure <eyes fab Primark skinnies>

Meh, I've got a couple of Marc by Marc Jacobs bags. They're good, but not amazing. I personally can't see an enormous difference in quality. I think top end high street bags are great, and I speak as someone who buys designer pretty much exclusively. The quality of designer bags seems to be deteriorating in line with the increase in pricing. Coach and Kate Spade seem to be two of the only brands to have retained their quality without astronomical pricing.

I do agree that leather quality of M by MJ better than Mulberry etc though. A lot of the mid range brands are better than the higher end.

But, to be fair, when M by MJ charges £150 for nylon, I don't think £200 for leather is that outrageous.

Just get it Toasted smile

YoniOno Wed 22-May-13 12:27:49

If money were no object I'd get this - but I quite like blingy branding smile

polyhymnia Wed 22-May-13 12:31:32

I agree! Try it. I really covet it, having pored over it in-store more than once.

Don't think all Hobbs bags have a wow factor for the price - generally prefer Russell and Bromley - but this in navyticks all the boxes for a smaller bag for me. Just personally find the expenditure hard to justify at moment so am waiting in hope of offers.

Now that is nice Yoni! I'm not averse to a bit of bling myself - my main issue is that I'm a HoC winter, and ideally need silver hardware, yet all the bling tends to be gold!

YoniOno Wed 22-May-13 12:36:40

I don't know my colours, but also want silver hardware! I like MBMJ classic q bags and some of them have silver hardware. Am stalking some on Ebay atm... slinks back to TPF

I like the Hobbs one.
I like tiny bags, it must be a way of rebelling against motherly big bags.
I dream of this

Think that is the one the OP had her eye on originally.

MarshaBrady Wed 22-May-13 12:46:50

I like this hairy looking fringed Anya Hindmarch.

Like the chain. Fringing could be good or not really.

MarshaBrady Wed 22-May-13 12:47:46

Forget the AH, prefer the small Marcie.

YoniOno Wed 22-May-13 13:05:08

I like the hairy one Marsha! grin Do you know is the strap long enough for cross-body? Is it basically like a mini Gracie?

MarshaBrady Wed 22-May-13 13:11:31

Oh goodo me too! grin

Love the chain. Not sure if it would be long enough. Someone should get it!

that hairy bag would make my cat nervous!

MarshaBrady Wed 22-May-13 13:25:13

Sod the cat! grin

They'd probably be best of friends.

santamarianovella Wed 22-May-13 13:59:31

really lovely hairy bag marsha, and that gucci bag is gorgeous!,some gucci bags do end up in sale,maybe toasted you can check the website on sale time?

polyhymnia Wed 22-May-13 14:18:06

Only like my metalware silver or very minimalist / pale gold.

That mini Marcie is super cute but I'd miss an outside zipped pocket like the Hobbs one has for my Oyster/ metro ticket. How boring am I!

loobylu3 Wed 22-May-13 14:41:54

Hello to amber and marsha.
Although I have never owned a designer or even high end high street bag, I think amber is right that designer bags are v over priced now. I wouldn't mind paying for great quality leather and a beautiful shape/ design but don't want to pay double the price for an obvious brand and lots of bling.

That is one reason why I like the Hobbs bag; it is pretty and fairly understated. It is also v practical, three compartments, I think.

Marsha- much as I love your taste, I really couldn't do that hairy bag! The Gucci is too obviously branded for me. I would feel self conscious and foolish holding it but, again, that's just me.

MarshaBrady Wed 22-May-13 14:47:47

Looby! Lovely to see you on here!

I know on the hairy one. I must admit I first saw it on my iphone and didn't realise it was hairy all over. Loved it when I thought it was just a fringe round the edges. Then thought hmm maybe it won't be so bad. So am on the fence really. Think it's my bad eyesight, I would probably miss the individual strips.

On designer, I like the plainer ones most and am very happy with the Celine trio as not too blingy. And not as much as the ones that are £1k+, which is very high. Although still quite a lot it is true.

polyhymnia Wed 22-May-13 15:00:51

Agree about the Gucci and it's ilk. If I was going to spend that much money I wouldn't want to be a walking ad for the brand - and possibly make myself look a bit naff into the bargain.

polyhymnia Wed 22-May-13 15:02:30

Aargh - 'its' not 'it's ' !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now