Jeans to an interview?

(31 Posts)
cherhorowitz Mon 20-May-13 19:39:02

On Wednesday I have an interview and I don't have any trousers or skirts that aren't too short or don't make me look ridiculous.

So I was thinking of a black jersey blazer, white sheer studded collar shirt with a white cami underneath (not sheer at all with the cami underneath), black skinny jeans and a pair of medium heeled black brogues.

The interview is not for a professional position and I have been in email communication with the interviewer who says the dress code would be smart casual so would this work? Fashionable and comfortable but still quite dressed up with the heeled brogues and blazer.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

cherhorowitz Mon 20-May-13 20:48:04

I'm going to have to practice elegance. I'll watch The Princess Diaries over and over until Julie Andrews teaches me her ways. grin

Thank you all! I'll go with the skirt combination. I've just been offered to go into town with a friend tomorrow so I may see if I can find a cheap skirt in the neighbour town. At least I have a back up plan without jeans!

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 20-May-13 20:56:10

DH works in that industry and frequently interviews people in jeans. So if you don't find anything else, then I think you'd be fine in them.

Does your dress look ok with your blazer over it? Otherwise definately the skirt, not the jeans. Sounds lovely.

cherhorowitz Mon 20-May-13 21:01:49

It looks okay but from the side it just looks odd as I have a belly even spanx can't fully hide and since the blazer doesn't button up (not in the design, not that I'm too big for it) it doesn't work as well as with a fitted bpttom and a looser top half, if you get me?

ILikeBirds Mon 20-May-13 21:05:36

I've been to interviews in jeans and got the job. I'm more comfortable wearing something that feels like me and anywhere that would discount me based purely on the fact I'm wearing jeans probably isn't a place I'd get on working at.

cherhorowitz Mon 20-May-13 21:20:30

ILikeBirds That's how I felt when I thought about the jeans. The company have offered me an interview based on what I have created in my portfolio and my experience in websites and design so they're choosing me. There was no CV or covering letter, they just asked for examples and why I feel I am qualified.

I just really don't want to lose out on what I consider to be an excellent job if it came down to it based on what trousers I wore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now