Would you go the 'full trollop'?

(101 Posts)
ProjectGainsborough Mon 20-May-13 17:08:01

Have a wedding coming up, which is exciting for two reasons:

1) friend marrying a gazillionaire, so a rare occasion for me to pretend to be fancy
2) is old school friend, so will be seeing lots of people I haven't seen for many years and certainly not post-children.

So, would you wear the Ghost dress - navy, patterned, perfectly nice, but safe?

Or the Acne dress - pink silk, quite out there - not slutty in a TOWIE way, but will probably require tape to avoid side-boob.

I probably should have seen the light at the words 'side-boob', but WWYD?

BanoffeeSplitz Tue 21-May-13 11:33:04

Oh - the back of the ACNE dress is beautiful - but would look best with nothing underneath, or a racer-back camisole (do such things exist?).

Doesn't have to be hidden, but a normal spaghetti strap one might look a bit mad.

BanoffeeSplitz Tue 21-May-13 11:30:13

I would go for the ACNE dress - but that's because it's a shape that I would wear anyway (either with sleeves or a sleeved top under) so I would feel most comfortable in it. I'd feel awkward & matronly in the other one.

You don't want to feel self-conscious about sideboob though - if a camisole then how about a the Airism ones from Uniqlo - supposedly they are really nudey and lightweight. They have some ballerina in their advertising for them which makes me think they may be good fit for the dress smile.

Really fine stretchy camisole, like a very refined dancers leotard would go with the look. Nude may look too much you are trying for it to be invisible (like the nude mesh inserts in ballroom dancing dresses) so a delicate shell pink, oyster or contrasting but v pale colour might work.

50ShadesOfMaybe Tue 21-May-13 10:10:16

Pink one. I had one a bit like it years ago (without asymetric hem) and wore it loads. Just choose underwear carefully, e.g. nude, strapless bra.

The other one is quite dull.

noddyholder Tue 21-May-13 08:12:04

I agree always look messy and detract fronpm cut. ESP strapless

Nehru Tue 21-May-13 07:55:30

IMO a dress without wraps Etc looks far more chic

Nehru Tue 21-May-13 07:55:02

Presume all weddings are at a temperature of 18 degrees.
You need sleeves.

Lucylloyd13 Tue 21-May-13 07:46:18

It depends upon your figure. If you can carry off the pink one, go for it, the ghost dress is the safe choice.

PenelopePipPop Mon 20-May-13 23:08:44

"how hot is it expected to be at this wedding? you will freeze"

I agree. I love the pink dress, think it is absolutely wedding appropriate unless it is either phenomenally badly designed which I am sure it isn't or you have secret 38GG bazongas you haven't mentioned and you flash the father of the bride as he walks down the aisle.

BUT even in inside in June you risk being cold if you haven't got some kind of back-up wrap 'cos that thing looks breezy. And that means dealing with one of those piffling pieces of fabric you can lose or trying to find a jacket you can wear over the top (you can't).

The sexiest look in a dress like that is always to borrow DH's tux jacket when you begin to get cold. But that may leave him feeling aggrieved. Best to negotiate first.

Nehru Mon 20-May-13 22:34:55

how hot is it expected to be at this wedding? you will freeze

I love the pink one and would definitely wear it.

BandersnatchCummerbund Mon 20-May-13 22:20:33

Pink one, definitely, although what kind of bracket are you in for height and dress size? If not too tall and pretty slim, I think it'd be fine. If you're on the tall and/or heavier side, maybe best not for a wedding - you don't want toooo much on display.

finlaysmum12 Mon 20-May-13 22:14:29

pink one, everyone else will be in versions of the blue one.

beachyhead Mon 20-May-13 19:50:01

I would wear a nude bra and a nude boob tube underneath. Then it could all flop about anywhere and you would be safe (.) (.)

willowstar Mon 20-May-13 19:46:10

Really can't see the problem with the pink one...if I could I would definitely wear it to a wedding. Go for it but agree you have to wear it with confidence. Give it a good trial run with wild dancing in your living room, see how it goes

ProjectGainsborough Mon 20-May-13 19:42:36

Pink dress - have some black Rupert Sanderson peep toes with bow. High but fairly demure.

Ghost dress (I feel a bit sorry for the poor old Ghost dress) - dunno. Was thinking something more out there to jujj it up.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 20-May-13 19:40:04

I don't like the Ghost number at all...maybe in your print it's much better...the pink one is gorgeous.

Badvoc Mon 20-May-13 19:31:46

Pink one looks shapeless to me.
The ghost one is classy and sexy.

gindrinker Mon 20-May-13 19:29:26

Gah link fail:http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=271198941338&index=14&nav=SEARCH&nid=68322518877

piprabbit Mon 20-May-13 19:29:09

If you are keen to get a 'special' bra, you could do worse than look at www.fashionforms.com (I think places like ASOS stock too), they do various strapless/backless/stick on options especially if you are neat of boob.

gindrinker Mon 20-May-13 19:28:55

I like this:http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=271198941338&index=14&nav=SEARCH&nid=68322518877

AnnoyedAtWork Mon 20-May-13 19:27:04

The acne dress. The other one looks like you are going to work!

But wear a jacket or nice cardigan with the acne one.

I think bare shoulders at weddings are a no, except at beach weddings or if you are the bride!

gindrinker Mon 20-May-13 19:22:50

Love it, just not sure for a wedding. What are you planning to wear shoe wise?
How about a Vivienne Westwood dress? Same drapey idea but a bit less side boob?

StickyProblem Mon 20-May-13 19:09:37

I love the pink one, I agree with NoGoatsToe about the heels. Could you put a jacket over it for the formal bit and then whip the jacket off for the dancing?

NoGoatsToe Mon 20-May-13 19:03:49

Ignore them all - if you love it, and your DH didn't faint or laugh when he saw you in it - then just do it. Just get a nude coloured strapless bra from M&S. I think it is a beautiful dress that would look fab toughened up with high, gladiator style, killer heels.

BigBlockSingsong Mon 20-May-13 18:53:26

Those dresses look lovely and will no doubt look lovely on you, but....

if the pink dress is really that revealing it may smack of trying to 'steal the limelight', it looks quite short aswell, hmmm just something that occurred to me plus any wardrobe malfunctions.

maybe its more party than wedding if you get me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now