Are spanx worth the money? Or are the cheaper versions just as good?

(39 Posts)
OhWouldYouJust Sun 19-May-13 22:55:54

Am a size 16, fairly well proportioned but have a saggy tummy and need something to suck in the loose skin and c section overhang sad
Need something that won't roll down and preferably a thigh length jobby as am hoping to wear a fitted midi dress so would prefer no vpl.

Have a big night out next month and would love to feel more confident!

TIA

minibmw2010 Tue 21-May-13 09:30:08

I tried the Spanx that is shaped like a bodysuit and has straps, but you also wear your own bra. It almost cut off my circulation so I got the Debenhams version which was half the price and did a great job plus I could still breathe smile

CareerGirl01 Tue 21-May-13 02:19:28

OP wait till AF is over! I had a CS 11 days ago and my Spanx are brilliant - not that I want to be held in but they are helping with keeping my scar tucked away. Am going to buy the higher power ones and replace leggings when I get my next month's maternity pay. Well worth the money.

YoniOno Mon 20-May-13 21:45:51

The worst time to see yourself in a mirror! Plus you're more likely to make poor and impulse shopping decisions when you're premenstrual <nods wisely> good luck.

I have a cycling shorts one that goes up to under my boobs from Peacocks and it's dandy, doesn't ride up at all. I'm a size 10, bought it when postpartum size 12 and a bit wobbly around the arse area, wanted to wear a sort of clingy, drapey mini dress in jersey and it looked ace apart from the rear where you could see cellulite dimples - not pretty! I suppose if the dress had decent lining it would have been ok, but they did the job. There's def a place for them, no-one is under the illusion they do anything other than smooth you out a bit making you look more toned.

OhWouldYouJust Mon 20-May-13 20:37:39

After posting I realised I'm rather close to that time of the month blush explains that then!! Will re-attempt when I'm less hormonal grin

bishboschone Mon 20-May-13 19:31:04

:-(

OhWouldYouJust Mon 20-May-13 19:17:10

Well the shopping trip amounted to nothing, felt disgustingly fat in everything and the spanx just made me feel worse. Not a great day for self confidence!!

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 20-May-13 13:41:11

Well, I've got mine on today at work! I find them comfortable, so if I think a dress or skirt needs them, I will wear them whenever. I don't keep them for special occasions. I don't wear them when I am in casual dress on my non working days though, as I don't think they make a noticeable difference when I'm wearing jeans and a shirt or a casual top.

carrie74 Mon 20-May-13 13:35:32

Out of interest, when do you wear them? Just for special occasions of which I have almost zero, or for day to day?

I find most of my clothes skim the mum tum sufficiently when I make sure my posture is perfect in front of the mirror, but I do get ever so slightly wobbly [ahem] when donning bikinis on holiday (and then just think sod it, I'm not here to be judged, and if I am, that's other people's problems, not mine).

bulletproofgerbil Mon 20-May-13 13:15:13

My CS was an emergency done on a night when they had 4 other CS's. I think I drew the short straw by the look of the scar and got the surgeon who was trying to follow the instructions via a youtube video, having only ever practiced stitching on an orange prior to being let loose on my stomach. It's not pretty! If I was a bikini model I'd have had to sue!

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 20-May-13 12:03:13

I am a size 10, and I have a wobbly tummy. I am in no way overweight (BMI of 22), but the Spanx are a godsend for me as they smooth out my post DC tummy. They also sort of hold me in.

I have the higher power ones that are an all in one shorts type that finish under your boobs. About £37. They don't move about. I would 100% recommend them. They're an investment, really (I have a nude pair and a black pair) because when I wear them, I can wear a lot more of my wardrobe, so I don't need to buy new clothes!

bishboschone Mon 20-May-13 12:01:48

Exactly , for me it's more about smoothing skin that fat . My section left me with too much skin.. Can't all be perfect can we ?

bulletproofgerbil Mon 20-May-13 11:07:03

By the sounds of it then, those who are happy with them probably have the right size. So if at all possible buy Spanx somewhere you can try them on and where there is a person who can give advice re size. Like bra fitting I suppose. Good luck OP. I have CS overhang/apron effect, that no amount of dieting/exercise seems to shift.

Ashoething Mon 20-May-13 10:15:13

I wear the primark cheapo ones and I think they are very good. They never roll down either. I am a size 16 and smooths the fatty lumps out under wiggle dresses-or should us fatties just wear a sack Nehru?grin

cherhorowitz Mon 20-May-13 10:12:50

I buy mine from Primark. They're pretty heavy duty for £6 and they're the cycle shorts type that smooth out your tummy, hips, bum and thighs. I buy mine in my usual size for more of a smoothing effect than anything and they work decently on my big overhanging belly and less than smooth sides. I'm a big size 18-20 so I have a lot to suck in and they come in nude and black iirc.

noddyholder Mon 20-May-13 10:08:32

I always think you should be the best you can without torture! pmsl @ sausage casing its true! Really no one thinks you are kate moss under the dress they know you look like a hotdog

Nehru Mon 20-May-13 10:06:05

yes you can see them a MILE off

sausage casing. I bought a pair of pants ( big ones) once.
Put them on, thought I AM WEARING A GIRDLE FFS

and took it off

I am still alive

OhWouldYouJust Mon 20-May-13 09:56:09

Well am off into town today to have a look so will keep my options open smile

noddyholder Mon 20-May-13 09:54:43

I think proper well fitting normal underwear just looks better I have seen many a dress ruined with spanx Sort of gives you a boxy look

OhWouldYouJust Mon 20-May-13 09:53:22

Again, the dress does fit, I am just not confident about my overhang.

I am low carbing and doing C25K but I am aware that this will not shift the section overhang or the loose stretched skin from 3 children.

noddyholder Mon 20-May-13 09:50:22

Just hideous everything squidged and you can tell when someone is wearing them funny looking body.I agree buy a size that fits and to hell with trussing yourself up like a bloody turkey! men don't do this crap.

bishboschone Mon 20-May-13 09:32:31

I prefer spanx having bought. Few different types . I am size 8 hourglass but post 2 babies and massive weight gain I'm a bit squishy . With spanx I can wear body con of the desire takes me. Ignore Nehru , she is pretty blunt in most of her posts .smile

OhWouldYouJust Mon 20-May-13 09:29:46

Oh and the dress does fit. I just want to hold in the wobble!

OhWouldYouJust Mon 20-May-13 09:28:55

Nehru hmm

I am in the bloody process of losing weight thank you very much so I dont need you to tell me that!!

Thank you for the helpful replies everyone thanks

CareerGirl01 Mon 20-May-13 08:37:59

Spanx are great! Got power panties, leggings, mama and mama tights!
If they roll down - YOU HAVE GOT THE WRONG SIZE.
I was lucky enough to try on several sizes and the A size rolled down but the B is fantastic.

Wowserz129 Mon 20-May-13 08:25:01

Maidenform are better than spanx in my opinion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now