Calling all HOC Summers...

(983 Posts)
issimma Sat 18-May-13 07:54:35

With apologies to queencadbury for nicking her idea!

I had my colours done last year, but haven't really got into it (pregnancy plus postnatal plus maternity leave lack of funds). I'm a summer and am still struggling with feeling like a cruise ship escapee.

So, thought I'd start a thread where other vases of sweet peas/watercolour paintings/bluebells in a rainy wood could share their buys and wishlists.

First off, I need some Ts and want to try the zara linen ones when they bring out summery colours. I don't get on with kettlewell as they're too short on my body sad

RobotLover68 Wed 21-Jan-15 14:01:37

ooh that Reiss coat is very pale but then I'm a deep summer, probably why I'm put off - it almost looks like winter white on the internet

re: grey shoes, I bought some a couple of years ago from John Lewis, they usually have a good selection

Geminid Mon 19-Jan-15 09:37:37

Thanks Panda. I actually tried the coat on in person but it was so difficult to judge. It looked like a very much paler version of light blue grey - but I found my eyes didn't work so well in the artificial light of the shop. I'll perhaps go and give it another try.

Four: had a quick scout round Oasis but nothing much grabbed me.

Four125 Sun 18-Jan-15 21:15:15

I find it's difficult to judge the shade of colours on the Internet and often they look different on my laptop/tablet or phone.

Did anyone find anything nice in Oasis following the post a few weeks ago about their good summer colours?

SunshinePanda Sun 18-Jan-15 13:53:01

It's a beautiful jacket but a tricky colour to judge on screen. It looks cool rather than warm. Could you compare it against pure white and cream? Also does it look right and blend with other Summer colours? I'm not much help am I! Maybe someone better will come along like Travel. [smil

Geminid Sun 18-Jan-15 10:06:33

It is hard isn't it to find the right colour, style and fit - you can say that again!

Can I ask for your opinion on whether this jacket is a summer colour?

www.reiss.com/womens/coats-and-jackets/hermitage/frost/

Tried in on yesterday and fell in love with the style and the fit is great. Not sure about the colour though.

SunshinePanda Sun 18-Jan-15 07:31:34

Sorry none of my links are working.sad

SunshinePanda Sun 18-Jan-15 07:30:32

Your friend is quite right if you have a waist show it off. I think that it is easy to get swayed by colour. I'm sure you would have known when you tried it on. It is hard isn't it to find the right colour, style and fit. Still I guess that's why we're all on here.
I changed my Oasis striped dress for a similar H of F one but the fit is much better, better quality and the stripes seem more muted. They also had a soft navy plain one with a little silver thread in it:
http://m.houseoffraser.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-hof-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=D489990
Also saw a grey top which was a good colour yesterday in New Look:
http://m.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/dark-grey-curved-hem-sleeveless-top-_327167005
and this looks similar online:
http://m.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/grey-wrap-bar-front-sleeveless-top-_332224305

Four125 Sat 17-Jan-15 10:03:10

I showed the Boden dress to my friend who said 'why would you wear a dress like that? It doesn't go in at the waist'.
She's right, I do go in at the waist, so the Boden dress is shelved for now.
Back to the drawing board.....

Chewbecca Fri 16-Jan-15 10:49:43

grey suede block heels from Next

Chewbecca Fri 16-Jan-15 10:23:03

& four I am also a 'deep' summer and 2* in all the stronger shades, including burgundy & raspberry, never the lighter ones. For me the beetroot shade of the Boden dress would be just right.

Chewbecca Fri 16-Jan-15 10:20:32

Not your blocky heel but I do really like these (expensive) LK Bennett grey court shoes.

SlateSilver Sun 11-Jan-15 22:50:50

I can wait a bit as wearing boots at the moment. I looked last year, after I had my colours done and didn't find any so kept with black shoes and improved my clothes colours. I really want grey shoes this year. Or failing that french navy ones (same style).

SoMuchForSubtlety Sun 11-Jan-15 22:45:43

There don't seem to be a lot of grey shoes about at the moment. There were heaps during summer last year, I have some from Zara but I also saw them in Reiss, Conptoir des Cotonniers, H&M, COS... Can you wait until the summer stock starts to come in?

I would go for the beetroot with those ratings, no hesitation. grin

SlateSilver Sun 11-Jan-15 22:07:01

The colour of the first pair is great and the colour of the second pair almost as good too.

I want a block heel (straight up and down, not tapered in towards the ground!).

Four125 Sun 11-Jan-15 21:51:39
Four125 Sun 11-Jan-15 21:48:37
Four125 Sun 11-Jan-15 21:46:13
Four125 Sun 11-Jan-15 21:43:43

I was 2 stars in raspberry and burgundy.

So I can't have the dress then? Darn it.

Before I had my colours done I thought I was a winter, all my 2 star colours are bolder ones, I score very low on the pastel shades; lilac etc.

It's frustrating, I feel I'm just not getting this, tbh I feel my consultation was 'lacking' it felt rushed at the time, she clearly wasn't happy that I didn't buy any of the make up/scarves etc and was uppity.

I'm grateful for all your input, all suggestions of smart, washable work dresses in my colours gratefully received.

SlateSilver Sun 11-Jan-15 21:40:25

I have the worlds biggest snake phobia! I can barely look at snakeskin accessories let alone touch them!blush

Sorry Four I think both of those Boden ones are Winter. However the beetroot might be OK depending on how you rate in burgundy / raspberry.

Grey shoes. Hmm. I have some from H&M from many years ago. Not seen any recently. How about looking for snakeskin ones that look grey from a distance.

SunshinePanda Sun 11-Jan-15 17:46:33

SlateSilver I'm no help at all really but at least this will bump up the thread. Lots of grey ankle boots about but not shoes. I'll keep a look out when I go shopping though. Maybe someone else will be of more use!

SlateSilver Sun 11-Jan-15 06:22:03

Just realised this would be an ideal place to ask about shoes. I'm a HoC summer looking for grey court shoes for work. Medium height heel (lower end of medium height!) and no ankle straps. At a push a french navy but would really love a grey pair. I have searched and searched!

Four125 Sat 10-Jan-15 23:06:29

Greens don't suit me at all, which is one of the reasons I was thrown by my colour day.
The consultant insisted they suited me, but none of the greens scored highly on my list.
I could see it with some of the other colours but not the greens or the yellow!

SunshinePanda Sat 10-Jan-15 10:53:36

Happy New Year! I think the blue dress could be OK _ I have a similar top and scarf which look great but depends how bright it is IRL. Yes to the beetroot dress and I also wonder about it in evergreen. I have just bought a dress a bit like that one
http://int.debenhams.com/fr/product/designer-wine-zip-detail-ponte-dress/017010332653/
Also bought some grey boots which I'm really pleased with
http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/26104356
But have to confess to buying an Oasis grey/ navy stripe knit dress!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now