Calling all HOC Summers...

(817 Posts)
issimma Sat 18-May-13 07:54:35

With apologies to queencadbury for nicking her idea!

I had my colours done last year, but haven't really got into it (pregnancy plus postnatal plus maternity leave lack of funds). I'm a summer and am still struggling with feeling like a cruise ship escapee.

So, thought I'd start a thread where other vases of sweet peas/watercolour paintings/bluebells in a rainy wood could share their buys and wishlists.

First off, I need some Ts and want to try the zara linen ones when they bring out summery colours. I don't get on with kettlewell as they're too short on my body sad

SunshinePanda Sat 25-Oct-14 21:09:06

The J Crew one looks like the sort of thing I'm thinking of. Budget wise I would prefer Uniqlo prices but I know they are cheap for merino wool! It is primarily to wear with my new tartan tunic but of course, due to knowing my Season, it will seemlessly blend in with other items in my wardrobe grin . I don't suppose it needs buttons, guess I'm just thinking of the Uniqlo one I already own. That's why its great to have suggestions as it is so easy to almost repeat purchases and get stuck in a rut.
Disappointing news Four about the Jigsaw dress. Can be difficult with online colours. At least you now know.sad

I do, don't have a huge amount in stock though - pm me!

Four125 Sat 25-Oct-14 20:26:38

I know travel, I'm most upset!
Travel, do you sell HoC make up?
I emailed my HoC rep about selling me some, she replied but didn't mention the make up, just tried to sell me a style day!

plasticbanana Sat 25-Oct-14 20:11:57

Four125 I think that russian red could be much too strong on a summer. The other colour in the same cardi, tractor green, might be great.

Four125 Sat 25-Oct-14 20:03:10

So.....
I saw the Jigsaw dress in the shop today, it isn't cherry or burgundy in fact it is a closer-to-rust red. Which I didn't like at all and it didn't seem summery.
<dramatic sigh>

Panda I can't link to your name (I'm on my phone and I don't know how) but just to check you're after a burgundy, long line, fine knit cardigan with buttons.
Is that right?
What's your budget?
I'll have a look.....

I think it's called a 'strategic alliance'.

Some teals will probably be OK if they are soft and muted. Better away from face though. The sea green kettlewell is definitely summer. It is fabulous on me <modest>.

UnwittingAccomplice Sat 25-Oct-14 19:58:21

Oh I assumed kettlewell and HoC were affiliated. It does explain why the colour range per season is slightly different.

Iaminvalid Sat 25-Oct-14 19:57:27

Re the finding greens difficult to find...that's why I am so tempted by the merino in deep seagreen. BTW I am a deep summer.

Iaminvalid Sat 25-Oct-14 19:55:57

me too.....

RudyMentary Sat 25-Oct-14 19:54:20

b b b ...... but I love teal sad

Teal isn't summer, you're right, it's usually Autumn. However, you can tread pretty close if the other colours are in season. Jade / pastel jade / sea green can be difficult to find.

Kettlewell is a totally different company to HoC. And it would probably be very difficult to exactly match the drapes. Remember, so long as it tones with your wallet, it's fine. No need to match. You can shop by season from this page.

Iaminvalid Sat 25-Oct-14 19:40:09

I have a couple of the Kettlewell merino wraps in heather and bright navy. Bought both last year and they have washed brilliantly. They are quite thin but warm and hang really well. Kettlewell have a good returns service so worth trying.

Am tempted to buy another colour this year but trying to resist temptation.

I need more greens but keep getting distracted by more teal colours which I am not convinced are a summer colour.

UnwittingAccomplice Sat 25-Oct-14 19:38:49

Why don't kettlewell use the same colour names as HoC? Tis very confusing.

UnwittingAccomplice Sat 25-Oct-14 19:38:14

What's your budget Panda? This is nice?

SunshinePanda Sat 25-Oct-14 18:10:36

Thanks Travel - great colours but not sure about the hemline and ideally with buttons. Got a bit sidetracked by the merino scarves, which look lovely! Really I wish Uniqlo had one as will be able to visit store in a couple of weeks but don't think they do. Any other ideas?

Biased, because I make commission on Kettlewell sales, but their merino is very good quality, and this long wrap might be what you're after.

SunshinePanda Fri 24-Oct-14 22:39:56

Four the cardigan looks good apart from the description - a bit unsure about a hairy knit grin . Don't suppose you or anyone else has come across any burgundy long line cardigans in a fine wool not chunky.

Rudy I'm sure you'll love your style day. Bet it will be really interesting. I went to a group style session once many years ago but HoC style days seem much better. We did stuff about body proportions, which really helped with knowing what to buy, as well as clothing personalities.

RudyMentary Fri 24-Oct-14 08:44:00

Thanks UnwittingA

I'm not sure why I panicked when I got the email as I was fine at the colour day. Possibly because I need to think about 'me'? How I want to be perceived
Perhaps it's just the prospect of an entire day devoted to myself

UnwittingAccomplice Thu 23-Oct-14 23:20:40

Rudy it will be great, don't worry smile

I found taking some extra bits like jewellery and accessories helped - they're smaller than clothes and kind of fill in some gaps. Also I had a Pinterest board that I sent in advance which helped me explain what I liked.

RudyMentary Thu 23-Oct-14 22:53:11

Ah - shame about the woolovers shapes. The colours are great!

I've just booked an style day and I'm now in a panic. It sounds more
complicated than the colour analysis.

Lots of questions!!

That definitely looks like a cool red on my screen: it's cherry, rather than tomato.

Burgundy is in Winter and Summer - it's very cool (lots of blue in it). Confusingly though, shops sometimes call a colour burgundy when it is closer to chestnut (an Autumn colour). It is death to Springs.

UnwittingAccomplice Thu 23-Oct-14 18:14:04

I think the burgundy end of red suits almost everyone, doesn't it? I seem to recall that most seasons have burgundy as a colour.

Four125 Thu 23-Oct-14 18:06:12

I didn't even think the summer yellow suited me.

I'm not very good on reds, is this a summer red do you think anyone?

www.whitestuff.com/womens/xmas_14/red-410751/

321zerobaby Tue 21-Oct-14 22:56:38

No one else with banana wow? It's ok, I also have dove grey, apple green, violet and bright blue, all is not lost!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now