Calling all HOC Summers...

(663 Posts)
issimma Sat 18-May-13 07:54:35

With apologies to queencadbury for nicking her idea!

I had my colours done last year, but haven't really got into it (pregnancy plus postnatal plus maternity leave lack of funds). I'm a summer and am still struggling with feeling like a cruise ship escapee.

So, thought I'd start a thread where other vases of sweet peas/watercolour paintings/bluebells in a rainy wood could share their buys and wishlists.

First off, I need some Ts and want to try the zara linen ones when they bring out summery colours. I don't get on with kettlewell as they're too short on my body sad

IlonaRN Fri 12-Sep-14 11:53:13

I got Sally Hansen nailpolish in Rose Run (180) from eBay - it arrived today, and is absolutely gorgeous! Wish I could find a top in the same colour!

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Fri 12-Sep-14 11:10:54

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission grin

I was wandering past some shops the other day and the new stock in COS and Whistles looks promising for summer colours. Also I picked up some lovely summer coloured things in the Comptoir des Cottonniers sale.

Four125 Tue 09-Sep-14 21:30:17

Don't justify it, just sneak it in wink

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Sun 07-Sep-14 20:02:19

Just saw this on another thread, the 70 light purple is a gorgeous summer colour (and incidentally works for my style personality which is natural dramatic grin)... Now I have a conundrum - bought too much in the sales, how to justify it?

Anything called magenta / fuchsia / cerise is almost ALWAYS a winter colour.

Looks for plum / burgundy / raspberry, and it is more likely to be OK for summers.

Reiss dress is fab.

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Sun 07-Sep-14 18:48:52

Ilona that doesn't look summer to me. It's too bright, it looks wintery. The navy looks ok but I find it so hard to pick summer vs winter navy from internet pics, much easier in person!

IlonaRN Sun 07-Sep-14 15:02:58

Do you think that the magenta of this skirt is too bright for a summer? What about the navy version?

Four125 Sun 07-Sep-14 00:34:37

The Reiss dress is lovely, I might just have to have it. So thank you smile

Sleeves/no sleeves are fine.
It's just a case of not above the knee or low cut.

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Sat 06-Sep-14 23:49:55

Yikes, below the cleavage isn't good. That's unusual for hobbs, they don't tend to try risqué!

This should be a good colour for you, but don't know if you need sleeves at work?
m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/reiss-lena-pleated-shift-dress-blue-passion/p1659682?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_55#page_loaded

Four125 Sat 06-Sep-14 23:26:15

Thanks very

I tried the Hobbs dress on but sadly it is very low cut, by which I mean it was open to below my cleavage! If I'd taken it in it would have ruined the line of the dress.

The Planet dress is too sexy for my work.

But I'll give the Kaliko a try - thank you smile

My **s were - Dark Blue Grey, Airforce Blue, Delph, Cornflower, Hyacinth, Sea Green, Jade, Duck Egg, Plum, Amethyst, Raspberry, Burgundy, Cherry, Coral Red.

I prefer blues/purples/pinks rather than greens.

Also, thanks travel smile

QueenCardigan Sat 06-Sep-14 17:27:08

Thanks travel

The green is Spring. Others look good. smile

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Sat 06-Sep-14 13:46:40

Although Travel can you confirm on the jade? I always find that one hard!

Summers can surprisingly wear quite bright reds though, as long as they're a cool red. What did you ** in Four?

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Sat 06-Sep-14 13:43:33

Audrey navy is good.
Zoe magenta is too intense - winter colour, but pewter could be good depending on how you rate in mushroom, as could navy/ivory stripe.
Ottoman in gemstone is WAY too bright: winter or spring. Beetroot also probably a bit too intense.

Hope that helps :-)

Four125 Fri 05-Sep-14 20:09:09

I love that dress Hebburn.

Sorry I'm no help Chew

My work clothes have to be formal.
As I'm new to all this (not the work thing, I've been doing that for years) I thought I would start with navy and work complimentary colours on top as I get used to it.

I think it's difficult to tell for sure on the internet but do you think the colours of any of these would be ok?

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/WQ082-NAV/Womens-Navy-Audrey-Ponte-Dress.html

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Smart-Day-Dresses/WH717-FSC/Womens-Rich-Magenta-Zoe-Dress.html

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Day-Dresses/WH716/Womens-Ottoman-Shift.html?NavGroupID=4

It's the same colour QC. There are some crossover colours: Winters and Springs both have that very bright pink; Summers and Winters both have burgundy; Springs and Summers both have that mid blue.

QueenCardigan Fri 05-Sep-14 14:19:13

Just popping in as a winter to say hello. Is burgundy a bit of a cross over colour or is summer and winter burgundy different?

Yes, anything called Plum is usually good, and I think I've seen that in store too. M&S has a fair amount of Summer colours at the moment.

Notgoingtotakeitanymore Fri 05-Sep-14 07:19:16

I have also been looking at the clarks oxblood shoes. Lovely colour.
I was in the navy trap a few months ago but have managed to escape into pinks and burgundy and grey - though may be heading for grey trap next.

Hebburnisaplaceonearth Thu 04-Sep-14 22:21:07

does this look the right colour for a summer?
I'm tall, so it wouldn't be so long on me. Any thoughts?

Chewbecca Thu 04-Sep-14 22:17:17

I have also bought this phase eight dress lately but it is not worky.

Chewbecca Thu 04-Sep-14 22:08:55

Ah, that's good to know plummy. I rejeceted those as non-leather.

I did quite like this dress from JL, but only available in size 8, hmm, needs doubling for me.

plummyjam Thu 04-Sep-14 21:45:43

Got these recently and can confirm they are a summer burgundy smile

Chewbecca Thu 04-Sep-14 21:30:03

four125 so we can commiserate but not actually help one another!

Hunted all through JL and M&S websites last night, no joy. Popped to Cos at lunch today, some possible casual items but nothing for my desperate work situation.

these are the oxblood clarks formal shoes I might order. I think they are burgundy rather than warm red, but as I have said before, I am pretty useless at 'seeing' colours and how things blend, hence having my colours 'done'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now