Calling all HOC Summers...

(569 Posts)
issimma Sat 18-May-13 07:54:35

With apologies to queencadbury for nicking her idea!

I had my colours done last year, but haven't really got into it (pregnancy plus postnatal plus maternity leave lack of funds). I'm a summer and am still struggling with feeling like a cruise ship escapee.

So, thought I'd start a thread where other vases of sweet peas/watercolour paintings/bluebells in a rainy wood could share their buys and wishlists.

First off, I need some Ts and want to try the zara linen ones when they bring out summery colours. I don't get on with kettlewell as they're too short on my body sad

plummyjam Mon 14-Jul-14 14:30:25

Mantaray Kite Dress

Not in the sale but I'm a cool summer and this dress looks fantastic on. Available from Debenhams.

twointhemorning Mon 14-Jul-14 12:30:38

Have any of you ladies bought anything from the sales?

I’ve recently got the following:

White stuff Lorelei dress in Dark Grape a match for No. 25.

White stuff Peony & Roses skirt in Dark Periwinkle a bluey grey.

Boden Alexandra Tee in Dusty Pink this looks like a slightly paler version of No. 6.

whereisshe Sun 15-Jun-14 16:36:52

Mrs I'd say yes.

Does this look summer? Or is it too black? I can't decide.

Chewbecca Fri 13-Jun-14 14:04:05

I say yes but as you may see from my pp, I am rubbish at identifying!

Thoughts on the colours of this shirt please?

I'm after something I can chuck on over a vest to cover my arms. Haven't got my swatches to hand and am not sure about the pink.

TIA smile

ProjectGainsborough Sun 08-Jun-14 22:51:22

Amateur?? am

ProjectGainsborough Sun 08-Jun-14 22:48:56

Thanks for the dress evaluation ladies. I think it's a winner then, as I amateur the bolder end of the spectrum!

Lg74 Sat 07-Jun-14 22:47:40

To the previous posters that have recently been to Turkey, how much did your visa cost? It's always been £10 but I've heard it's now £20. Been told to buy online before we go as it's £12. Is this true?

whereisshe Sat 07-Jun-14 19:33:23

So the dye experiment was a bit hit and miss. A mint cardie came out a beautiful soft blue (win) and a cream silk cami similarly. But the cotton trousers didn't dye evenly and I still don't like the two jackets even in a better colour. Still, better than chucking it all out!

For reference idye do a poly and a natural fabrics dye so I did everything all together in the machine which seemed to work quite well.

I'd say that's raspberry, which is in both Summer & Winter. So, if you're good in raspberry, then go for it. Some summers can take that bright pink better than others. smile

It is gorgeous, though some VW jersey is quite thin.

whereisshe Fri 06-Jun-14 21:44:55

That's a fabulous dress. I think it could be rose, it looks less vibrant on other websites...

ProjectGainsborough Fri 06-Jun-14 21:27:43

Is this dress rose, do we think? Or bordering on winter?

whereisshe Fri 06-Jun-14 10:52:02

Oh good. I will try my new jade/navy combo with it (v low cut and somewhat see through aren't ideal for the office so I will go for a cami underneath)...

Currently dying a load of stuff iDye gunmetal grey to render it useable. Wish me luck!

Gorgeous. It's quite dark, but I think the fabric will make it look muted. The joy of being a summer is that things can fade in the wash and still look good!

whereisshe Fri 06-Jun-14 08:26:12

I think over all white would look great with that kimono. Not practical but pretty grin.

I got this. It's lovely. Slightly worried it's winter navy though? It's a bit bluer irl but not much.

moneyone Fri 06-Jun-14 06:23:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IlonaRN Thu 05-Jun-14 19:17:54

Thank you for linking those Phase Eight dresses. I may have to try some of them on (but actually not the dusty/minky ones for me - those colours really don't look good on me (dusty pink was crossed out on my colour chart!)

Probably over a white or blue vest not sure about bottom half yet!

Gorgeous. How will you wear? I think over denim shorts and a vest top looks great.

Got this kimono today.

Indeedy. And would be fab on you. Actually looks long enough, and think shape flattering for apple.

proseccoco Wed 04-Jun-14 06:54:41

Oooh that last one is so going on Sales watch for Dh's work Xmas party :D

(You know who I am, right, travel?)

me55monster Tue 03-Jun-14 22:05:50

Thank you travel. I seem to remember my ** colours were the stronger ones like grape, the 'airforce' blue and the darker reds/pinks so I have never really explored the rosy/minkier end of the spectrum. I wouldn't have considered the first two you linked to but will go and have a try on - thank you. Have been lusting after the last one for a while now - so beautiful but I'm never likely to have an occasion to wear it sadly.

Hi montser!
I'm not great in raspberry, so wouldn't go near that first one, but it would work on some Summers. The second one is better, though the purple might be a bit dark on some.

this is summer
plus this one
this one too
this one is maybe a bit too dressy grin

me55monster Tue 03-Jun-14 21:49:25

Can I gatecrash please smile
Had my colours done about 15 years ago and was a HOC dark summer, it may be called something else now. Does this dress look about right or is it bordering on Winter colours? I've tried this one too but think the v neck/crossover shape will be more flattering (big boobs) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now