Calling all HOC Summers...

(567 Posts)
issimma Sat 18-May-13 07:54:35

With apologies to queencadbury for nicking her idea!

I had my colours done last year, but haven't really got into it (pregnancy plus postnatal plus maternity leave lack of funds). I'm a summer and am still struggling with feeling like a cruise ship escapee.

So, thought I'd start a thread where other vases of sweet peas/watercolour paintings/bluebells in a rainy wood could share their buys and wishlists.

First off, I need some Ts and want to try the zara linen ones when they bring out summery colours. I don't get on with kettlewell as they're too short on my body sad

ProjectGainsborough Wed 19-Jun-13 21:50:25

Hm. Thanks. Hair a mixed bag. Love the cut, but think the colours are still a bit red for me. HOC consultant recommended finding a Japanese hairdresser as they understand cooler colours, so may give that a go next time.

I love the bag. Am sitting on my hands now as this has already cost me a fortune.

Sal77 Fri 21-Jun-13 10:15:12

I'm a Summer! I had my colours done about three years ago. I find that sometimes it's a real struggle to find colours in the shops (although navy is always easy to find).

If you are still struggling with your colours I'd highly recommend having your Style Day done with them. I have virtually no mistakes in my wardrobe now as a result, I really understand what it is I'm looking for when out shopping. It's made such a difference.

wickedfairy Fri 21-Jun-13 11:57:17

Sunshine, thank you for linking to that Oasis bag, it's exactly what I've been looking for!!! Have ordered it, along with some navy ballet pumps, am eagerly awaiting deliverysmilesmile

wickedfairy Fri 21-Jun-13 11:58:43

PGainsborough - that's a lovely hair do!! Gave you had it done yet? How did it turn out, if you have?

BeingMoreDog Wed 31-Jul-13 08:53:43

Bit early perhaps, but has anyone spotted a winter coat (duffle coat) and boots in summer colours?

angelinajelly Wed 31-Jul-13 22:32:39

Hello all, another Soft Summer here. Interesting to read what others said upthread about reddish hair- mine is light/medium brown with very strong red tints that get stronger when it has been exposed to the sun. I think it's the same pigment that gives cool-toned pink skin. Online self-analysis things never allow for it, they always insist that Summers have to have ashy/greyish hair. But I'm definitely Summer- my eyes are that weird colour that reflects green, grey or blue depending on what I wear, I look best in pretty much any mid-range shade of blue/green/turquoise or purple/pink, and orange, true red, bright yellow and beige all make me look like a corpse.

Re lipstick, I think it's so hard for a Summer to find the right shade- it has to be bang-on neutral browny pink to work well on me. Not ever red. Whichever idiot said there's a red lipstick for everyone left off "except Summers", imho.

shoeprincess2 Thu 08-Aug-13 07:25:28

angelinajelly- light summer here. Agree with the lack of red lipsticks for us. I have found a lovely neutral pinky brown- no 7 sheer temptation in caramel kiss.

rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Aug-13 07:58:37

I'm a summer smile

Anyone bought anything recently to inspire me?!? <credit card at the ready> grin

muser31 Tue 20-Aug-13 15:59:51

i am a summer and found a lovely lipstick called maybelline non stop red. its very red but its blue based and it is very striking. i wear it with some mascara and it looks really nice with my pale skin and blue eyes.

I still haven't braved the bright red lipstick - maybe it's time to try!

LonelyGoatherd Mon 26-Aug-13 14:43:16

just bumping this thread - on a no-buy mission until I get my personal style sorted. We need to keep up with the other seasonal threads and I want to see pretty links.

shitbiscuit Wed 28-Aug-13 23:34:40

Hi guys. Pastel summer signing in (I'm usually madmomma but namechanged and can't bloody change back!)

What's everyone planning to wear for A/W?

I'm all about dresses atm as am very lardy and can't tolerate any kind of waistband. I'm only really just starting to make sense of my colours really, even though I had them done over a year ago.

Has anyone had the style day? Is it worth doing?

LonelyGoatherd Thu 29-Aug-13 11:50:33

I'm doing the style day soon as I'm still pretty clueless.

So, what's everyone wearing today? I'm in my uniform of skinnies/flip flops and T in my colours - see, I need style day big time!

madmomma Thu 29-Aug-13 20:19:35

I'm in a fairly lame outfit of breton vest and blue summer joggers from Isabella Oliver. With flipflops. blush

Cherry red t-shirt, dark denim skirt with buttons on the front, pale grey trilby, silver & white sandals, dotty grey & white zip hoodie over the top.

I am a big fan of the style day (disclaimer etc.) grin

MidnightHag Fri 30-Aug-13 08:43:36

I am a dark (anemone) summer and I did the style day. It was good fun. I recommend you take along your favourite outfits to check whether they suit you.
I was classified as a classic gamine, which I'm happy with. My only problem is that one of my closest friends, who is also a dark summer is a natural gamine, but is a size 8 to my 12. Consequently i always think she looks better in "my" styles.

3hens Fri 30-Aug-13 09:36:06

Navy and dusky pink oldish patterned Jasmine Guinness dress, black leather wooden heeled sandals, silver watch. That's it. Underwear, obviously. Sounds a bit sparse, I don't think it looks sparse, belt, collar buttons pattern on the dress, adds a bit of busy-ness.

Am v interested in this thread. I find winter clothes the most difficult to buy in the right colours. Has anyone bought anything?

Midnight I'm a curvy gamine too - it is more of a challenge!

3hens Fri 30-Aug-13 11:36:28

I would love a style day. Does it teach you how to recognise say, what a 'curvy gamine' top/cardigan/skirt/whatever looks like? Best shops for your personality etc? My idea of it is that it would make shopping a lot easier and faster! I've tried to DIY my style personality myself and I just can't do it.

Yes, all that and more. grin

tartiflette Fri 30-Aug-13 13:16:07

Oh I'm so desperate to do the style day
Do you do it alone or in a group like the colour day?

MidnightHag Fri 30-Aug-13 16:18:41

I think both style and colour sessions work best with a small group of friends. It's easier to spot what works on someone else, often.
You may find that following the session you can swap clothes and makeup: my "autumn" friend got my orange/green items and she gave me lots of pink/blue stuff.

angelinajelly Fri 30-Aug-13 17:34:25

What is an anemone Summer, Midnight? I haven't heard of that before.

Casmama Fri 30-Aug-13 19:31:41

I think anemone summer is a deep summer. I am a deep summer and was told to mix colours to look like a bunch of asters or anemones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now