Calling all HOC Summers...

(674 Posts)
issimma Sat 18-May-13 07:54:35

With apologies to queencadbury for nicking her idea!

I had my colours done last year, but haven't really got into it (pregnancy plus postnatal plus maternity leave lack of funds). I'm a summer and am still struggling with feeling like a cruise ship escapee.

So, thought I'd start a thread where other vases of sweet peas/watercolour paintings/bluebells in a rainy wood could share their buys and wishlists.

First off, I need some Ts and want to try the zara linen ones when they bring out summery colours. I don't get on with kettlewell as they're too short on my body sad

Ha, I have just bought those Clarks flats in bone.

Most successful recent purchase was an H&M jacket in dark blue grey. So much better than charcoal on me, but difficult to find.

I had a summer in my class today, and was lovely to rediscover some of the colours that are so hard to find in the shops. (Scripsi She had also self-diagnosed as spring).

(bit of background in case that sounds odd to others - issimma and I know each other IRL, and I am a HoC consultant).

QueenCadbury Sat 18-May-13 21:56:28

issima glad to be of service grin

orangeandemons Sat 18-May-13 22:03:13

Dark blue grey, I love that colour and almost impossible to find too. Much much more flattering than chrcoal

orangeandemons Sat 18-May-13 22:04:06

So would you say summer colours are hard to find?

I think it depends how particular you are. Very easy to end up with the more popular navy / soft white / raspberry / burgundy colours and then end up feeling a bit boring. Also easy to slip into winter navy and grey, and wonder why you look tired!

It takes quite a bit of time to build a wardrobe where everything suits you and goes together. It can't be done in a hurry except by £££ and bespoke tailoring (which can definitely be worth doing).

FrugalFashionista Sat 18-May-13 23:02:03

Hi fellow Summers, I think Summer clothes are somewhat underrepresented (high fashion favors Winters - summer clothes are often 'natural' linens and crumpled cottons) but when you have worked out what your colors really are there are quite a lot of choices. Summer sales is the best time to shop - finding a good winter coat can be difficult.

I made a quick pinboard of higher-end clothes and accessories that I think would work on me (I'm a light summer). I then searched Zara and yes, they have lots of things for summers too - see here. I haven't had difficulties finding great things for me. Everything denim is excellent; my color analyst thought camel/oatmeal might become my best neutral as long as I use some accent colors so that my tops don't blend in too much with my hair. Smoky blues (like the Freda dress in the pic) are my very best scarf color.

Regarding footwear, I tried to do navy/taupe/gray shoes for a bit but it just didn't work for me. My main shoe colors are black and nude (I tend to pick cooler nude shades) and that's fine. I even found an old Color Me Beautiful book that said that trying to find non-black shoes may be futile.

ellangirl Sun 19-May-13 02:41:54

I just remembered that I'm actually a deep summer! Darned sleep deprivation!
Frugal, I just can't wear black shoes, feels all wrong. Most of the Colours I wear are much more muted than the ones on your board though so maybe that's why.

I don't wear black at all, even shoes. I think there is a lot more choice than when colour analysis was first popularised.

My shoes are variously: pale grey, white, pink beige, sea green, coral red, and brown. I am a brown summer, so browns are good on me, where other summers might be better in greys.

The hunt for knee high boots and court shoes in navy continues. Wish R&B did more navy leather, they are obsessed with suede. I have been deliberating over the Chester loafers in indigo / navy for about a year.

Lovely board, Frugal I will say though, that many of those items are not Summer in the HoC system.

SunshinePanda Sun 19-May-13 08:55:41

TravelinColour you have identified exactly where I stray from my colours. I sometimes veer towards Winter grey, navy and black even - black for trousers and shoes only. I know I shouldn't but tried the whole brown thing and it wasn't me. Think I do prefer grey. Also I wear black opaque tights so prefer shoes boots in the same colour to lengthen legs. I have had my colours for about 20 years. Am I a lost cause when it comes to foot and legwear?!

wickedfairy Sun 19-May-13 09:46:59

Travel, I am a deep brown summer and I do like navy and grey. What is the difference between the navy and grey that would suit me and the ones that will wash me out?

I am starting to build up dusky/madder rose and blush tops which I think flatter me but struggling on my neutrals. I am a casual dresser, so always usually in jeans....

FrugalFashionista Sun 19-May-13 09:53:49

Okay, two years after getting my colors done I still get it utterly wrong sad This may help you decide whether the money, time and effort spent is really worth it.

And good luck finding tall boots in navy! That's exactly why I gave up, many of the prescriptions are just not realistic. I bought a few navy courts but they just feel so dowdy, like a part of an airline uniform or something...

orangeandemons Sun 19-May-13 10:06:59

I found tall boots in navy last winter from Next. I stuggle on neutrals too. The only ones I can really wear all soft white and really really pale grey, yet a lot of clothes seem to be in neutrals.

I struggle with winter coats too, I hate dark colours. I despair in winter seeing loads of black, dark greys, browns etc. I saw a woman wearing a coat the other day, in the only yellow that summer's can wear. I really wanted that coat!

SunshinePanda Sun 19-May-13 10:12:30

Frugal if having your colours done means that it you have more clothes that work together, rather than separate outfits, and you feel that the colours suit you then it isn't a waste. Like you found that some colours seemed frumpy in shoes and boots, which is why I go back to black, but find that overall my colours do work. Was really pleased that you joined this thread as have been lurking on frugal thread and you give excellent advice - don't be downhearted!
Wickedfairy hope that Travelincolour helps us both with grey, navy issues!

Shorty1980 Sun 19-May-13 10:28:38

Ooooh I was just diagnosed (if that's the right word) as a Summer this week - the consultant was insistent I had to tackle my 'wrong' hair colour before I even started on my wardrobe. Which is odd, because this is more or less my natural hair colour (minus some grey coverage). Anyway I wear a lot of blue/turquoise/teal and always get told how much it suits me - unfortunately I usually pair it with black, a big no no for summers I believe smile. I like toast/seasalt/fat face as they always seem to have pretty blues in.

Shorty1980 Sun 19-May-13 10:33:09

Oh and I always wear red shoes eyes wardrobe full of almost identical red shoes which consultant said was fine as long as they were on the blue red spectrum (rather than orangey) because they were so far from my face grin

orangeandemons Sun 19-May-13 10:34:47

A good one for Summer colours is Mistral....but the clothes are dire. Must be designed by a summer though.

Epic post coming up - (pours brew)

smile The most vital tool you have is your swatch. One tip I learnt is to use the reverse side of the wallet, as otherwise your eyes will try to convince you that there is a match. So when it comes to navy / grey, it's best to use the side of the wallet which does not have these in, lie it against the item you are testing out, and see if it tones in or overwhelms. The winter navy is less soft than the summer, and the winter grey does not have any blue in. Both significantly better than black though.

I am happy for my clients to email me links to clothes to confirm if it is their season - I am sure other consultants are too.

Regarding Winter / Summer colours in general. There is significant overlap when it comes to buying clothes - for example Kettlewell have many tops which are suitable for more than one season, because unlike the drapes, clothes are not precision dyed.

Regarding browns, the browns in the summer palette are very ash, sort of mahogany or mushroom coloured, with very little warmth. Think Courtney Cox's hair colour - it's brown, but there is not a bit of red in it at all.

The reason I match my shoes to my palette is that they then go with everything without even thinking about it. Yes, it does matter less when things are away from your face - the most important area is your face and neck. However, I do wear clogs with pale wood soles, and I wouldn't wear wood next to my face! Same applies to trousers - to get that 'well put together' look I would always advise sticking to your season for the whole of your wardrobe. I do sympathise, it is really annoying finding clothes which you know are perfect for you but are the wrong colour. I love the sound of the wardrobe of red shoes grin.

Whoever said they had not had their colours done for a while, it's possible to go for a re-rating to find out your new best colours - your season doesn't change, but the best colours within it often do (for example the deeper colours may not be as good as you age).

FrugalF, It’s early days! It took me at least 2 years to feel that I had a wardrobe that was really spot on. I think I recall that you had your colours done in a different system too? There are different systems, and a fair bit of difference in the colours between them.

It is coming to the time of year which is great for us to shop - though I find many of my best things on ebay and in charity shops.

Mistral is very Summer, White Stuff too (and they have a no black policy!). Unfortunately only good for those with very Natural clothing personality.

Shorty Re hair-colour, it's tricky. Sometimes hair colour is quite misleading, and that's why we cover it for an analysis if it is dyed, even if it is in theory the same as the natural colour. I have just advised a new summer to ditch the warm blonde highlights, but it's a difficult conversation to have.

And actually, I'm not sure why I picked Courtney Cox as an example rather that just directing you to my photo's! That's my natural hair colour, and a close match to the browns in the summer palette.

SunshinePanda Sun 19-May-13 12:09:11

Thanks Travelincolour. I do have other colour trousers - a very good blue and various greys but sometimes buy black for work because its easier. I find it hard to buy a pair of well fitted trousers anyway. I will try the tip of using the other colours in the swatch to check it tones not overwhelms. What do you do about opaque tights if you are a Summer? Can anyone link any clothes in the right grey?

issimma Sun 19-May-13 12:12:35

panda I wear these falke anthracite tights. <crosses fingers they're the right grey>. Hideously £££, but not so bad in the sale, and great quality.

I wear tights in smoked grape / plum, burgundy, navy and grey.
To be honest, with tights I think you can get away with charcoal and brown too, though again, navy will be better.

This jacket looks blue grey

whereas this is Winter (amazing though)

this is light blue grey

ellangirl Sun 19-May-13 12:28:38

This white stuff jacket looked to me to be a good summer colour here. I ordered it anyway so I'll let you know! I find too much of fatface/mistral/white stuff very drab, but I have bits from all of them. This is not hoc, but useful to see the right sort of neutrals I think. Correct me if I'm wrong travel! here

ellangirl Sun 19-May-13 12:36:58

Also, already there any blogs by summers? If not travel, can you start one? grin

issimma Sun 19-May-13 12:38:03

I'm not usually a white stuff fan (don't do patterns), but love that parka. AND it's in one of my best colours. Good job I'm not a size 8...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now