Calling all HOC Summers...

(476 Posts)
issimma Sat 18-May-13 07:54:35

With apologies to queencadbury for nicking her idea!

I had my colours done last year, but haven't really got into it (pregnancy plus postnatal plus maternity leave lack of funds). I'm a summer and am still struggling with feeling like a cruise ship escapee.

So, thought I'd start a thread where other vases of sweet peas/watercolour paintings/bluebells in a rainy wood could share their buys and wishlists.

First off, I need some Ts and want to try the zara linen ones when they bring out summery colours. I don't get on with kettlewell as they're too short on my body sad

FrugalFashionista Sat 18-May-13 09:56:58

Issimma are we the only summers on MN? wink
I haven't found my dream t shirt (soft white scoop neck made of thick cotton) yet but bought a couple of these long vests these week (camel and navy) and they seem great. Good material and not too thin and clingy.

Denim/chambray is one of my best neutrals so I've worn my men's blue oxford/chambray shirt (men's size S) a lot over those vests. It's a bit slouchy and relaxed but not tent-like.

issimma Sat 18-May-13 10:02:46

grin Let's flush some more out!

Can you relink the vests as it didn't work? thanks

I love my light denim shirt with darker denim flares. Wannabe Charlie's Angel here grin. I have a chambray dress, but it's too foggy and grey for that. Sigh.

FrugalFashionista Sat 18-May-13 10:12:45

Vest here. It's a shade darker than my skin so it doesn't look like I'm going topless grin
Budget alternative: H&M spaghetti strap vests. COS also have some contenders in navy (saw instore, haven't worn).

I've enjoyed the comeback of le total denim look too - depending on weather I'm wearing high-waisted denims shorts with my shirt (sleeves rolled up) or lighter denim skinnies with a vest, chambray shirt left open.

BloooCowWonders Sat 18-May-13 10:20:16

Me me me me!

But my better colors are the deeper end of the range. So plum/ burgundy/ grey and dark blue ( cant remember what the 'official' colour names are)

To be honest the lighter shades are all a bit meh to me...

I have had great success with Dylon for the 'wrong' clothes that I already had.

SunshinePanda Sat 18-May-13 13:16:59

I'm a Summer too! Always find it easier to buy items in accent colours so am on a mission at the moment to buy some neutrals. Have just bought some new tops, in quest to own greyed navy and soft white. Not sure whether they will link but both from New Look - navy with owl pattern (just seen reduced now!) and blue and white striped top
www.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/blue-and-white-zip-slub-t-shirt-_276488149
Also this top - says cream but not sure if it is more of a soft white. What do you think? It has buttons down the back and is a good fit.

SunshinePanda Sat 18-May-13 13:18:40

Though the links were going too well. Last top here
www.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/cream-geo-broderie-shell-top_270885412

SunshinePanda Sat 18-May-13 13:22:32

Sorry first time at linking - owl top hopefully here!!
www.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/navy-olivia-owl-print-t-shirt_266879941

wickedfairy Sat 18-May-13 14:10:16

I am a deep brown summer, so good colours on me are:
Madder Rose, mushroomy/oyster/blush colours, french navy and then emerald green/grape/rasperberry, etc

I struggle to get my head around it - had my colours done a few years ago but have since had another 2 pregnancies/babies and now that I am finished, I need to get cracking on sorting out my wardrobe.

I appear unable to shop and pick clothes - have always been rubbish at this and with 3 kids, I never have time to shop <sigh> I don't order online because everytime I pick something to wear, it looks shocking on me (even in shops)....

Lurking here, hoping to be inspired - sorry I have nothing helpful to add....

wickedfairy Sat 18-May-13 14:19:09

Oh - I just bought this top today and this dress

The top is just basic and the dress is a lovely colour on me and was a good price - however, I have no idea where I will wear it. Got it for a wedding (possibly) but it may be a bit too bridesmaid-ish

SunshinePanda Sat 18-May-13 14:30:08

Love the dress. The top link doesn't work for me. Think you're being hard on yourself by saying you are rubbish at buying clothes and then posting such a lovely dress!

wickedfairy Sat 18-May-13 14:38:24

will try again with the top link top

The dress was a freak purchase tbh - I have never bought something like that before! I usually live in jeans and tshirts, but I am going to try and make an effort to be a little stylish..

wickedfairy Sat 18-May-13 14:39:04

grr - the top link won't work - it is called Attia Jersey top from French Connection.

SunshinePanda Sat 18-May-13 14:49:52

Link still just takes me to home page. I'm the opposite in terms of purchasing. Don't mean that I'm stylish but when went shopping last week for tops, which I am in desperate need of, had to stop myself (only just managed) from buying 3 dresses! Think I need help in being casually stylish/ trendy, like Jennifer Aniston if possible!! Hope you wear your dress soon.

SunshinePanda Sat 18-May-13 14:55:40

Thanks can now see 3 tops - look great. Wonder how white the white is in RL compared to the cream top I linked to.

scripsi Sat 18-May-13 17:58:01

I am a light summer (which was a surprise, thought I was a spring) and it has been a revelation but I haven't yet managed to buy enough stuff to replace my largely black wardrobe. So I am marking place!

mewkins Sat 18-May-13 18:11:18

Think I am a cool summer (self-diagnosis but think it's right as those colours definitely look good). Having spent years avoiding all pinks, I am now embracing magenta and other clear bright pinks. Would love some bright pink/ raspberry or purple scarves I if anyone has seen anything nice about. Useful to wear with navy/ grey to brighten things up a bit.

ellangirl Sat 18-May-13 20:13:17

I'm a sweet pea summer. At the moment I am wearing mostly grey and blue, with some sea green and lilac/purple. Things I wear a lot are this in purple, this in grey- it's a lovely pewter colour, and this in dark blue, which is a perfect summer dark blue, slightly grey/mauve almost. I struggle with shoes the most. I have wide feet anyway and all shoes seem to be black, or tan/brown which doesn't go with summer colours. I want some nice navy or grey shoes!

issimma Sat 18-May-13 21:14:18

ellan I also have wide feet, and wear these flats in blue - they're from last year, so different colours this year. V comfy. I'm sticking to converse and birkies for the summer, but don't need smart shoes for work. I also like Asos aggies in dark grey, but they're a bit high for me.
mewkins Have you tried kettlewell?

issimma Sat 18-May-13 21:19:25

sunshine Jennifer Aniston is my style guru too. V natural and understated. I aspire to this, but am usually unironed and covered in baby posset.
wicked Love the dress! I'm trying to get my head around it all too - hope this thread helps a little.
panda - love the broderie top and tempted to get it. Find it v hard to identify soft white, and just avoid optic white.
blooo dylon disaster here <wails>. Glad it worked for you!

issimma Sat 18-May-13 21:20:25

Oh, and there's a mumsnet 20 or 25% discount code this month with kettlewell - couldn't find it earlier, but check before you buy anything...

You called? grin

orangeandemons Sat 18-May-13 21:27:57

I'm a sweetpea summer too. I find it really annoying that all the sort of sophisticated brands never do colours that really suit me. They are all too neutral or washed out. I look best in rose pink and never see it anywhere. I also suit lilac, and Cos did have some lilac tops in. But summer colours never seems to be really fashionable.

Perhaps I need to go and sit in a cottage garden..I remeber a thread on here moaning about lilac in M and S. That's my best colour with the rose pink.sad

mewkins Sat 18-May-13 21:32:10

Thanks for the kettlewell mention- never really looked at it before but I like the raspberry coloured scarf

ellangirl Sat 18-May-13 21:34:17

Issima don't talk to me about baby posset. My dd is nearly 7 months and still overflows regularly after feeding. Now she's crawling too she sicks and then just carries on crawling through it hmm
Anyway, back to the point! I tried those clarks Henderson pumps and they didn't fit my feet. Didn't like the colours much this year either. Shame because i bet they would have been comfy. i have a pair of grey next pumps from a couple of years ago that i wear all the time, but nothing like that around this year. Bought these just because I had a discount code and they were wide! here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now