The Crepe Escape

(1000 Posts)
Cremolafoam Thu 16-May-13 22:48:55

We were getting to the end.smile

CointreauVersial Sat 18-May-13 19:39:57

BD - you are forgiven for typos; enjoy the gin.smile

DH and I are just getting settled on the sofa for an evening of Eurovision. It is DH's most favourite thing; he scores each act and revels in every camp minute. I found some leftover coconut milk in the fridge, and have mixed myself a pint of pina colada, so quite frankly it will all be washing over me by 8.30pm. grin wine

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 18-May-13 19:59:47

The spacehopper went down a storm with the kids. DD1 and I got the bus afterwards to So Ouest and M & S. DD1 got some new clothes in Uniqlo and I bought some jeans that fit me in M & S. I am notorious for buying clothes that are too big for me (as MI will tell you). When I was back in UK I bought two pairs of the "body shape" jeans in size 20. They seemed OK in the shop. A week on, when they had been worn in, they don't even stay up. They don't fit anywhere at all - the legs are too big, the bum is too big, the waist is too big. Why did I buy size 20 jeans? I have never been a size 20 in jeans. So today I bought size 18. They fit. Once they have "given a bit" they will fit even better. I didn't even try on the bloody size 18s first time round. Why? My entire bloody wardrobe is full of skirts that are too big and voluminous tops. I seem to do a bit better with dresses - I have some that fit, and actually look quite nice. I should not be allowed to shop on my own.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 18-May-13 20:00:27

I also have knickers that are too big and tights that fall down as well. sad

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 18-May-13 20:01:06

FFS, I am 48 and can't even dress myself properly. grinangry

Stropperella Sat 18-May-13 20:06:36

We have 130ft of garden and the 60ft is fenced off from the rest to stop the toddlers (back in the days when we had them) from falling in the wildlife pond and to prevent the dog from exterminating the wildlife and digging up the veg in the larger section of the garden. We will be fencing off a 28ft by 7ft area in this latter bit for the chickens so they won't snarf my veggies and poo in the wildlife pond. Or get eaten by the dog or a fox (may need to be an electric fence, apparently). I have to dig all the pernicious weeds lovely flowers out of the chicken area first and will sow some grass seed. Then we are going on a chicken-keeping course grin and then we will get our chooks at the beginning of July. Dh thinks this is a great plan. Mainly because he got sick of viewing the weeds in the garden - when I didn't have time to remove them last year and he couldn't be arsed. hmm And also foresees a time of plenty in the quiche dept.

Beachy, dd would like to know how your neighbour's chicken comes round to hang out with yours. smile

BD, enjoy the gin and have another. Am just polishing off second nice cold beer, am leaving Eurovision to the dcs and am off to have a nice hot bath. Which is luffly after about 10 months of tepid ones. We finally got the heat exchanger on the boiler flushed out yesterday. Yay.

Stropperella Sat 18-May-13 20:09:47

Eh, MrsS, I am also 48 and can't dress myself properly either. I still manage to buy all my knickers in the wrong size (they would fall down if I didn't wear trousers all the time). Well done on the jeans grin

Stropperella Sat 18-May-13 20:23:10

Would just like to add: I have had yet another unfortunate hair cut (I blardy give up). I am currently looking like Crystal Tipps <sigh>

Blackduck Sat 18-May-13 22:05:55

On second gin - on Stropps orders smile
My hair cut hasn't changed in 20 years (short back and sides - I hate the hair dressers)

I had 130 foot garden, I now have a sliver grin
Mum dined on sea bass and yoghurt (not together) curtesy of my brother - food like this on a daily basis and she won't go home grin

wilbur Sat 18-May-13 22:12:17

Am watching Eurovision. Love it. ROFL.grin

wilbur Sat 18-May-13 22:14:28

Have also drunk quite a lot of wine and declared love for the Iceland Viking and the teeny delicious man from Azerbaijan.

rubyrubyruby Sat 18-May-13 22:19:51

I've just walked up our high street swigging wine from a plastic glass <<classy>>

Love the thread title

........ beyond tired.

beachyhead Sat 18-May-13 22:21:51

Stropps, apparently the chicken next door, who we call Miranda, is over for a sleepover tonight! We have five who have two houses between them, courtesy of a friends divorce, in a caged area about 40ft by 40ft, but they only stay in there if friends dogs are over or tonnes of small children. Other than that they are free to roam, but we do have a big garden!
So we tried to have Miranda (who is an only chicken next door) to stay over for Christmas, but she kept wandering home. We have a sort of wire plus wood fence, big enough to stop dogs wandering, but not chickens.

So now she comes everyday, to hang out, and sometimes sleeps over!

The neighbours are pretty cool and don't have a problem with long term adoption!

CointreauVersial Sat 18-May-13 22:28:25

Don't you have foxes, Beachy? Any wandering chicken round here wouldn't last ten minutes.

Eurovision-wise, DH rated Malta and Denmark, and we both fell off the sofa laughing at the can-canning Greeks singing "Alcohol is Free", and the ridiculous falsetto from Romania.

motherinferior Sat 18-May-13 22:35:43

Love Iceland and Malta though the very bizarre and disturbing man in plastic box also intrigued me. I myself have been experimenting with mango Bellinis (ie Aldi prosecco and tinned mango purée). I can report that they are a thing of great loveliness.

motherinferior Sat 18-May-13 22:37:24

Icelandic bloke looks exactly like Icelandic bloke I know, which is hardly surprising given the statistical likelihood that they are related.

wilbur Sat 18-May-13 22:39:09

We liked plucky Malta too. Oh, and here comes the Abba tribute.

motherinferior Sat 18-May-13 22:40:38

I have retired to bed after yesterday's 1pm bedtime!

rubyrubyruby Sat 18-May-13 22:41:15

No Eurovision in this house.

I've always fancied the idea of chickens but the truth is I don't like them much and we don't eat that many eggs,

beachyhead Sat 18-May-13 22:52:03

I'm still with Eurovision, and our foxes seem to come at night, so far... Had three years with no daylight attacks! All down to having dogs and boys who pee in the garden regularly, apparently! We did see a fox once, but told the dog to see it off, which she looked a bit surprised about( as in, he's my brother!), but she did, so maybe it works!

Others in the village have lost loads, but we are very diligent about lock in at dusk.

rubyrubyruby Sun 19-May-13 04:41:02

<<sigh>> can't sleep, racing heart, one glass too many and craving toast!
...... actually, a peanut butter sandwich would be my food of choice right now.

It's my age.

hattymattie Sun 19-May-13 07:58:59

Well - we went to see Gatsby in an attempt to avoid Eurovision and came home and still managed to catch most of it with the kids. Romania was a special treatsmile. Don't know about the critics but I thought Gatsby was fab - great acting all round. My only criticism was the rap music hmm.

On hair - I'm wondering whether to give up and go grey - I should mention I did this last year and felt so like an old lady I chickened out. I think it only works if I'm wearing make up the whole time.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 19-May-13 09:23:56

One of my work colleagues, who works in a different office and visits us intermittently has gone completely grey. She is three years younger than me (I know her quite well - we worked together when we were in our 20s) and has a bit of a "staid" haircut. One of my team was chatting to her, and asking her if she was looking forward to her retirement - she is leaving, but not retiring, obv, as she is only 45. She looked a bit puzzled and I said, glaring at team member "I think J thought you were taking redundancy, not early retirement, obviously." He said to me later that he had assumed she was coming up for 60. She has great skin, and I think if her hair was still dark, or even just cut in a more "edgy" style, people would probably think she was younger than she is. I think grey hair that isn't ageing is difficult to get right. But equally, the shades of old lady brown, old lady blonde and old lady red, sported by my mother and her friends, also look wrong. It's a tough one!

rubyrubyruby Sun 19-May-13 09:27:38

<<books hair appt>>

rubyrubyruby Sun 19-May-13 09:33:40

Hattie - I've been attempting to go grey in a very half hearted way.
I have compromised by having lots of hi lights and lo lights. So not covering it but more working with it iykwim. I used to have to root touchup every 3-4 weeks but no longer have to do that in between visits to the hairdressers.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 19-May-13 10:37:28

Well I am having a fun day. hmm The shelves holding all of my cookery books have collapsed, and I now need to find room for them and the other assorted shit in that cupboard. I have stacked up the cookery books in the kitchen, behind the table, and am redistributing the other junk around the flat. I was a bit shocked at the number of cookery books I have - I don't dare count them, but if I tell you that I have at least 15 Christmas cookery books alone, that will give you some idea.

Also mucking out DD2's room.

This thread is not accepting new messages.