Holiday shorts for 40 year old???

(25 Posts)
Stillstarving Wed 15-May-13 23:24:04

Is this madness? Holiday will include theme parks so usual little holiday skirt/cotton shift not so practical. But shorts?????

DewDr0p Wed 15-May-13 23:38:18

I hate wearing shorts - they really don't suit me - but I got some Gap chino ones last year and they were actually OK. I'm 40 too by the way!

SundaySimmons Thu 16-May-13 07:03:17

I'm ten years older!

I don't look good in cotton shorts at all so wear dresses with legging shorts underneath for modesty

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Womens-Safety-Shorts-Tights-Underear-Girls-Safety-Shorts-Under-Pants-Leggings-/181008347133?pt=UK_Women_s_Shorts&var=&hash=item2a24f02ffd

I was worried they would look like big knickers but they don't!

SundaySimmons Thu 16-May-13 07:04:04

Just to add, I wear them in black, haven't tried the white!

Numberlock Thu 16-May-13 07:06:24

I wear shorts on nights out and I'm 45! Black linen from H&M. Always get lots of nice comments.

Numberlock Thu 16-May-13 07:08:53

I'm 43 and wear shorts loads (well I would do if it was dry and warm!), I wear them to work too but longer smart ones.

If you have good legs them they look great.

Stillstarving Thu 16-May-13 07:59:44

Sunday I think the undershorts might be too hot but thanks. Looking at the other links the shorts are all so, well, short! I'm beginning to think its getting the length right that makes the difference between short fantastic and short catastrophe

I have these from Marks. I love them.

PretAPorter Thu 16-May-13 08:21:04

Short shorts can look a bit nappy like on the wrong figure

Longer shorts

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 16-May-13 08:34:05

Of course you can wear shorts at 40!

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 16-May-13 08:40:36

It's a minefield. Likewise, longer shorts can look really ultra-preppy, hockey Mom.

It's a matter of figuring out just the right point on your thigh for them to end, which is different for everyone. And what you wear them with.

freddiefrog Thu 16-May-13 08:41:29

I wear shorts a lot in the summer, well, when I say a lot, I mean on the 2 days in July it stops raining long enough to do so grin

I prefer shorter shorts - not hot pants/arse cheeks hanging out, but not mid-thigh either, they just don't suit me. My legs aren't bad, other than their glow in the dark whiteness so slap on a load of fake tan

higgle Thu 16-May-13 09:07:20

Well, I am 56, have nice legs and wear shorts all summer. For me longer ones are not flattering, and make me look shorter and a bit scout-mistressy. Short but not bum hanging out is the way to go.

BastardDog Thu 16-May-13 09:12:34

I'm 46. Short shorts are a no no as I've got lots of thread/spider veins on my upper legs. Longer shorts make me look shorter and fatter than I am and make my knees look horribly fat.

I do wear shorts on foreign holidays, but wouldn't dream of wearing them out and about at home.

I'm getting into the skirts with legging shorts underneath for the first time this year. My inner things are quite flabby and it means I can wear skirts on hit days without the dreaded chub rub.

BastardDog Thu 16-May-13 09:13:33

Hot days, not hit days.

Stillstarving Thu 16-May-13 09:25:34

Aargh! You've all confirmed what I kind of knew already - I'm going to have to try on a million pairs!

Sonotkylie Thu 16-May-13 09:27:33

How about cropped hareem pants (Next and Hush have them) or cropped joggers from Next. Knee length but not so scout leader?

DewDr0p Thu 16-May-13 09:36:41

higgle I SO know what you mean on the scout mistressy look!

OP a good tip for working out ideal shorts length (and skirts too for that matter) is to stand (trouserless) in front of a mirror holding a pillow case if front of your legs - move it up and down and see how it changes the overall look of your legs.

I also find a small wedge heel makes shorts look a million times better on me - obviously have to be careful not to stray into hooker territory with a heels and shorts combo though! I really do mean a tiny heel.

2madboys Thu 16-May-13 09:43:28

I have two pairs of the Boden chino shorts which I think are similar to these: off duty shorts. Got them the summer before last and have worn them loads. I'm 42 and have no plans to stop wearing shorts in the summer!

Startail Thu 16-May-13 09:43:46

If the theme parks are in the USA you don't have to worry, everyone regardless of shape and size wears shorts.

My rule is holiday shorts need to be cool, comfortable and cheap. I'm only going to wear them one week a year and no one I know is going to see me in them.

Lambzig Thu 16-May-13 09:49:19

I am 46 and wear denim shorts on holiday. I think the jeans shape is a bit more flattering and if you buy them a little loose, like a boyfriend jeans cut, you can roll the leg up to whatever length works on you.

I don't have the best legs, but I never did, getting the length right is so important.

Lambzig Thu 16-May-13 09:51:22

Yes to cheap. My denim ones are from new look of all places.

QueenCadbury Thu 16-May-13 13:38:38

I'm 39 and wear shorts. Much more practical than short skirts for running round after a toddler. I have the gap ones.

50ShadesOfMaybe Fri 17-May-13 10:02:05

Are wedges and shorts "hooker territory", DewDr0p?

I'm a bit well quite a bit over 40 and I love wedges and I love shorts blush. (Usually with tights - not a problem in the UK. On holiday, bare legged and so what!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now