Pale Cream Dress to Wedding?

(94 Posts)
KT1366 Wed 15-May-13 16:34:45

Hi i have a wedding to go to soon and have spent ages searching for a dress. Tried loads on that are too short/too bridesmaidy/unflattering/frumpy/too expensive/too casual etc and finally came across a beautiful pale cream dress in Oasis. It is a simple sleevless shift style with a high neck and silver 'necklace' beading detail around the neckline, low dropped waist with two ruffles (slightly 20s style i think). And most importantly in my budget! I was planning to wear with black shoes/wrap/stole and fascinator for a bit of colour contrast.

Showed my mum and a couple of friends who said it was fine but then one friend mentioned i shouldnt wear cream to a wedding...(i only thought this rule meant long bridal style gowns). I am now having second thoughts!

However the bride wore a cream short dress herself last year to another of our friends' wedding so i'm thinking she doesnt perhapes know/care about the rule either??

I really like her and it is in no way about upstaging/wishing it was my wedding etc. neither am i family so will not be in family photos. however would never wish to offend! what do people think?

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 17:42:43

I get what you're saying, and tbh, the only colours I wouldn't wear are white/cream or black/dark grey. But, I would have been fuming if someone wore white to my wedding, silly, I know.

Badvoc Wed 15-May-13 17:43:11

Blimey!
I wore cream and black to my Dhs best friends wedding.
I wore black and bronze to my dbros.
I wear a lot of black and white generally and to weddings and always have.
Dh no idea it was so frowned on!
Surely most people have black shoes, handbag etc?

garlicyoni Wed 15-May-13 17:43:51

i had a little google and apparently cant wear white, cream, black, red, nude, pale pink, gold, silver,lemon or green!

Flippin'eck, there's not much left, is there?! I have worn red to lots of weddings ... and received a few wtf comments about being 'brave' or 'bohemian' confused I didn't know that rule!

Looks like it's gonna be orange, purple or blue! That's inspiring ... hmm

Badvoc Wed 15-May-13 17:43:56

I didn't even notice what people wore at my wedding tbh.
I simply don't care.
Weddings aren't fashion shows fgs.

TeamJesse Wed 15-May-13 17:45:39

I don't think it's about them having to be more relaxed - cream or white dresses just look bridal, and wearing a bridal-looking dress at someone else's wedding is embarrassing. Maybe the bride won't be offended, but you will look weird. It can't be so hard to find a dress in a different colour.

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 17:45:59

black accessories are different, and black and another colour is fine, but black is a funeral colour, imo.

garlicyoni Wed 15-May-13 17:46:31

I've got to say I think cream-and-black is a failsafe 'smart' choice. You said you were considering a black stole; surely that'll break up the cream and stop you looking bridal?

Some twat wore full-length white & cream to my wedding. She was making a point, yes!

Badvoc Wed 15-May-13 17:49:09

I wore a cream suit, black hat, shoes and bag and black and cream scarf.
For my brothers wedding which was at Xmas I wore a bronze jacquard dress and a knee length black coat as it was bloody freezing.
I have worn black and purple, black and white, black and orange once...

Badvoc Wed 15-May-13 17:49:38

That's why I love white/cream and black.
It's very hard to get it wrong.

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 17:53:37

garlic, shock thats shit.

gillywillywoo Wed 15-May-13 17:54:06

Don't bother.. YOU WILL BE JUDGED!!!

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 17:54:22

Badvoc, but it does look bridal.

IrritatingInfinity Wed 15-May-13 17:55:39

I think a cream dress as described would be perfectly OK.

I am not keen on fascinaters though confused.

Badvoc Wed 15-May-13 17:58:53

A short sleeved jacket and above the knee cream skirt looks bridal?
Ok, if you say so....

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 17:58:53

this is lovely and could wear it again just pick out one of the other colours.

sunshinenanny Wed 15-May-13 17:58:56

garlicyoni, Maybe all those colour bans is the reason so many wear floral or mixed print to weddings.smile

There used to be a poem about brides not wearing certain colours but I thought it was only black or white that was a ban for the guesthmm

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 17:59:33

yes, it does, imo. My mum wore something v similar to her wedding. so did my cousin.

garlicyoni Wed 15-May-13 18:03:18

YY, sunshine, the migraine-inducing print outbreaks make more sense now! I would really look a lot like Hyacinth Bucket in florals shock

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 18:03:20
garlicyoni Wed 15-May-13 18:07:03

Both those Monsoon numbers are v. nice imo, lissie smile Plus they manage to be both 'weddingy' (flowers) and smart.

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 18:43:55

Thank you garlic, both could easily be worn again to christenings or night out.

KT1366 Wed 15-May-13 19:28:54

Thank you for all your help and opinions! Especially you Lizzy you have been busy! Was leaving work hence the delay in replying!

I don't think wearing cream/white is embarrassing - because to be embarrassed you have to agree that it's wrong (which I personally think its just an outdated silly rule) and i dont really care what others think guestwise...its no more their day than mine and most are my friends anyway! I was more concerned about upsetting the bride, which I'm still not sure she would be given her wedding outfit choices in the past however I will deff be making another shopping trip - as people have said its not worth the risk!

Thanks again for all your help smile

KT1366 Wed 15-May-13 19:29:48

Lissie sorry (replying with a mispelt name IS a rule I hate to break! Whoops xxx

lissieloo Wed 15-May-13 19:46:56

KT, no worries, my phone autocorrects lissie to lassie.

Good luck shopping, I love shopping for wedding outfits!

OnlyGirlinmyHouse Wed 15-May-13 21:30:35

Sorry to hijack, but would you think this is ok for a wedding. I was planning to wear it with patent black peep toe shoes, patent black clutch bag & a white shrug/cardi with a lacy back. Have got some pearly/sparkly jewellery which goes with the white.

Not sure now though, having seen all these rules about colours not to wear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now