Johnsons Holiday Skin - is it meant to smell so bad?

(22 Posts)
INeverFinishAnythi Mon 13-May-13 19:49:49

I've never used any sort of fake tan before but bought 2 big bottles of Holiday Skin to try (the firming one if that makes a difference!) and just used some for the first time after my shower - it stinks! Have I got a duff batch, or is that just how it smells?! And is it worth it anyway?

The smell is quite strange, I think. But the colour is ok.

I prefer the Dove version overall.

It does smell odd. I can't describe it, but it's almost a burnt smell.

I do like the effect though. I use the fair and never have to worry about streaks.

MsUumellmahaye Mon 13-May-13 20:14:41

smells like grannies biscuit tin smile i prefer dove also, but don't think you can escape the pong.

ArthurCucumber Mon 13-May-13 20:17:30

I haven't been able to use it, ever since I worked out that what the smell reminded me of was mould/mildew.

mouldy, burnt, biscuits?

Not really selling it, are we? grin

QuinnFabray Mon 13-May-13 20:22:26

Smells of weewee flavoured biscuits. Can't stand it, although it works well.

Undertone Mon 13-May-13 20:26:35

Has it got better then? Last time i used it was the really bad tango orange/ streaky phase.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 13-May-13 20:39:54

I think it has a very strong smell compared to more expensive brands like St Tropez, I wasn't impressed with the colour either, quite orange.

The fair is not orange at all. I am quite pale and it only gives me a hint of colour.

Eliza22 Mon 13-May-13 21:49:25

The Garnier Summer Body one is pineapple-y. My sister used the Johnson's one and its awful. Take the unused one back.

INeverFinishAnythi Mon 13-May-13 23:12:39

Arrgh, hoping I'm not orange by the morning! Glad it's normal to smell that bad. I think I'll only use it at night, couldn't go all day smelling like that. First sign of orange and I'll stop altogether, maybe pale and interesting is the way forward after all! Thanks all.

ellesabe Tue 14-May-13 12:43:11

I also recommend the Dove one instead...

Callisto Tue 14-May-13 13:22:24

It smells of Plasticine to me confused. I've used the fair and firming one and never got orange or streaky skin. It is quite subtle but also natural looking. I liked the effect but couldn't get beyond the smell so I don't use it anymore. I shall check the Dove on out though.

Grammaticus Tue 14-May-13 13:25:17

Burnt biscuits and not in a good way. I found my knees went a funny colour with it <helpful>

bollockstoit Tue 14-May-13 13:27:31

It smells absolutely disgusting on me, I really cannot stand it. It doesn't seem to smell quite as bad on other people. On me it smells of mouldy biscuit tins/BO mixed. Nice.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 14-May-13 15:46:14

St Tropez smells bad i think

I started a thread about this the other day. It stinks but the colour is good ESP for fair skins. Dove doesn't smell so bad. Bought St Tropez yesterday to try on someone's recommendation.

freerangeeggs Tue 14-May-13 18:38:10

I like the Palmers Cocoa Butter one. I think it smells quite nice.

mintymellons Wed 15-May-13 13:13:47

I bought the Garnier one in Boots last week (it was on offer). It smells quite nice, apricots I think. Can't really see much colour difference on my legs, but don't think it's streaky.

MrsYamada Wed 15-May-13 18:31:15

I second the Palmers one. It smells a teeny, weeny, bit biscuity but gets away with it because of the cocoa butter I think. It's very subtle and moisturising.

Have tried St Tropez gradual tan as recommended on MN this smells quite faint, nothing like Johnsons, would recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now