In tears over Facebook photo help me find a flattering outfit please!

(19 Posts)
duende Sun 12-May-13 19:06:07

MrsCampbell thanks! I still dont understand the vest tucking and i have read 3 difference descriptions of it already. I think I'm just thick.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 12-May-13 17:56:51

Something like this or this

So I tuck in front of shirt and then bag over slightly and leave the back untucked. Grazia reckons all the fash editors tuck the shirts into their knickers but who knows?

Or I sometimes do the vest tuck. Which means wearing a very slim fitting vest under a shirt and then tucking the shirt up under the bottom of the vest - I hope that makes sense.

duende Sun 12-May-13 17:41:45

MrsCampbell please please explain to me in verrrry simplistic terms what half tucking is...??

mrspaddy Sun 12-May-13 17:10:30

oh you are so slim!! I would say it was the angle of the photo. I have seem people that I know in RL look absolutely nothing like themselves on FB...

of course there are the 'selfie' photo's that I hate more

Don't make yourself worry over this.. agree the shirt you were wearing may have been oversized

flowers

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 12-May-13 17:05:45

Big belts don't tend to work on apples - I am one. Neither do skater dresses due to lack of a defined waist.

I wear blouses and shirts a lot but do the half tuck and make sure they fit well so do go in and are not oversized.

I'm 5ft so have to be careful about anything oversized or baggy. And agreee empire lines make me look pregnant also.

But mainly I take dreadful photos and I wouldn't worry too much about one hideous photo of you on fb.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 12-May-13 17:01:26

I know women who resemble super models and sex sirens who have shit FB photos. Delete, untag and threaten FB friends with recriminations is the best approach. grin

It just sounds to me like you need a belt or waisted outfit. Wearing a pale blouse over big boobs with dark skinnies will distort anyone.

ChubbyKitty Sun 12-May-13 13:50:24

I have an empire line that recently came out of retirement for a wedding reception.

It's now gone back in the back of the wardrobe for when I'm pregnant. It looked really nice but it made me look like I should have been sticking to the orange juice!grin I swear it never used to do that haha. The big belt thing is a good idea though, I know some bigger ladies who go with it and it really looks goodsmile

JeanPaget Sun 12-May-13 13:42:08

I sometimes think that if you have a big boobs wearing a loose top that hangs off them can make you look very square, and bigger than you are.

I agree that something like a skater dress which emphasises your boobs, but nips in a the waist before flaring out over the stomach, can be much more flattering. An empire line top, or a dress you throw a belt over can do the same sort of thing.

I also think skinny jeans can make you look a bit top heavy if you're big of boob.

ChubbyKitty Sun 12-May-13 13:34:27

Mama are you me? I'm only 2 inches taller...

I have just invested in some black chino shorts after realising I'd had an outward growth spurt that's my story and I'm sticking to it and I have to say. Best. Shorts. Ever.

Also long vest tops help massively, the boobs come out and the belly hides away where it should.

But for night out I go with those retro-y dressed that have the waist line just above the belly button(skater dresses I think?) it seems to fold everything away nicely smile

chartreuse Sun 12-May-13 13:00:57

You don't need to diet, just wear different jeans. Skinnies are only flattering on about 10% of the women who wear them.

Boosterseat Sun 12-May-13 12:49:12

Wrap tops, wrap dresses! I'm exactly the same height and dress size as you and I'm also short waisted.

Wrap tops and dresses smooth my tummy and give me a tiny waist. Find plain wrap tops/shirts with skinny jeans, my biker jacket and killer heels/wedges look fab.

Good luck.

cece Sun 12-May-13 12:10:10

I am an apple shape with big boobs.

You need something with a v neck or scoop neckl to show off your boobs. I work on using them to distract everyone from my belly. grin

Mamafratelli Sun 12-May-13 12:07:22

Didn't have biker on in photo, think that looked ok. Just the blouse was all wrong.

Mamafratelli Sun 12-May-13 12:06:32

Right, off to the shops. Wish me luck!

mirpuppet Sun 12-May-13 12:05:06

I agree no diet needed.

Just find an outfit that suits you -- the skinnies, biker jacket does not suit everyone.

I am not apple shaped so I don't have specific suggestions.

Ashoething Sun 12-May-13 11:48:37

Meant size 10/12-sorry op don't want you to feel worse!

Ashoething Sun 12-May-13 11:48:03

Your a size 20/12-in the nicest possible terms-get over yourself! You just took a bad photo is all-I look shit in every single photo I have on fb or anywhere.I just take a crap photo.

Get a dress that shows off your boobs but hides your tum-I love 50's style and buy a lot from Lady vintage or Collectif.

Pinkflipflop Sun 12-May-13 11:45:38

You don't sound like you need to diet and you have a lovely figure at only size 10/12!

It was just an unflattering photograph! I'm sure you don't don't need to be wasting your tears.

I'm sure you are gorgeous!

Mamafratelli Sun 12-May-13 11:42:43

I went out last night in a cream blouse, black skinniest and grey biker. I have just seen a photo on Facebook and I looked awful, so awful i am sat in tears. My diet is now on but in the meantime I'm an apple with big boobs, 5ft1 and a 10/12. I have a big party next week with a photographer please help me look ok! I'm thinking a dress but can't find anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now