I fancy a sun hat but will it just make me hot?

(20 Posts)
TooExtraImmatureCheddar Sat 11-May-13 09:30:18

I love sun hats. You've reminded me to dig mine out - big 70s style natural straw hat, brown band. I have fine hair and worry about my parting burning if I don't wear a hat.

thenightsky Sat 11-May-13 09:06:57

The last one... straw coloured.

MrsLettuce Sat 11-May-13 08:24:11

yy, I am indeed hoping to avoid having to shell out for prescription sunglasses.

Really fancy the big big one from amazon but maybe that's just because it's cheaper than the smaller version (ignore first photo). ALso saw this but it's too twee I think. Maybe.

Any votes?

ZaraW Sat 11-May-13 06:57:47

I always wear hats especially when on holiday. I got a straw panama from www.panama.co.uk a few years ago and I love it. Best thing it is Fair Trade. I recently got a Tilly hemp hat which I use when cycling as it's got the chin strap which is removable.

thenightsky Sat 11-May-13 00:11:49

My beloved hat is natural straw coloured, but with a blue strip here and there. It goes with most outfits except the ultra smart.

I wear it to save the skin on my face from turning to leather without having to wear sunglasses so I end up with panda eyes.

freddiefrog Fri 10-May-13 22:00:49

I wear a lot of hats in the summer. I get horrific headaches when it's sunny so usually wear a hat and sunglasses

I've got a natural coloured straw trilby which goes with nearly everything and doesn't look too OTT

MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 21:43:05

Cheers teathers! So the massive one version of the same style is too massive then?

Ran across this earlier, is exactly the same model as that TV one, folded daftly different colours but still maybe your bag.

tethersend Fri 10-May-13 21:33:28

I bloody love hats.

I am obsessed by do like 70s style, so have a few wide-brimmed floppy numbers... I LOVE this one from your links MrsL.

I think you should go for the Hepburn-esque one- wear it with simple clothes and with confidence and you'll look great.

MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 21:16:00

Cheers Jenny!

So, they really do help? Anyone got thoughts on either of the ones I linked to? I like a vintagy / retro look but I'm not into looking like I'm wearing a costume.

I get so overheated that I have trouble functioning once it gets to 21 degrees + hmm

JennySense Fri 10-May-13 21:02:19

I'm thinking a straw fedora this summer - my all-time fave was a fuschia straw stetson I bought in france.
I wear them during the day then sort my hair out for the evening smile

MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 20:59:27

tns - can you not replace the elastic (or get it replaced)?

And, erm, am I being daft to assume a 'natural' coloured straw would be significantly cooler than the same hat in black?

thenightsky Fri 10-May-13 20:48:12

I got my perfect one in TKMaxx about a million years ago. The best thing about it is the band inside is made of wide soft elastic, rather than just that ribbon stuff they normally use. It stays on even in high winds in tropical countries, Egyptian deserts etc. The elastic is now sagging a bit due to sweat and age, but I still love that hat.

I've never found another one made like that, despite checking every one I come across that looks at bit like it. sad

MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 20:47:21

Ah hassled. That was my fear. Do always wear factor 50 though.

MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 20:46:39

(oh, that last one can't be delivered internationally)

Hassled Fri 10-May-13 20:46:09

Whether or not you wear a sun hat is a toss up between sweaty hair or a sunburnt face. It's a dilemma I haven't resolved.

MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 20:44:19

love this

Just worrign about a sun hat being a bit much for day to day life what with my always waring red lippy and all

MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 20:42:00
MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 20:39:46

Thanks Jenny. I suppose I need to go with a pale colour (was thinking straw / raffia) but I'd be happiest in black. Black would be a daft thign to do, right?

Was thinking maybe this sort of style (first picture bears little resemblance to the actual hat) [[ or maybe a bigger version]] but I can't find anything like it to try IRL. ANy thoughts?

I am, of course, also concerned about looking like a pretentious twat. Hats do suit me though.

JennySense Fri 10-May-13 20:24:20

God yes, I never go on holiday without wearing one - will wear one at home too smile

MrsLettuce Fri 10-May-13 20:18:13

I love the summer but don't cope well with heat, would a sun hat actually help? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now