Do you ever order clothes when you have to pay for returns?

(102 Posts)
Restorer Wed 08-May-13 21:03:23

I'm not good at on-line shopping. Over the years I've kept far too many duff items because I was too lazy to send them back. Now I have a policy that if I don't love it, it goes back. OK is not good enough.

I have a largeish order I'd like to place, including a couple of items in more than one size and colour to see what's best. I thought that was how on-line shopping was supposed to work, but if I have to pay Royal Mail rates to return them, it's going to be very expensive indeed, so I probably won't buy anything at all from this company. I can't go into the shop, because we don't have any decent shops round here - even the slightly better shops only seem to sell the bottom end of their range.

Why do companies think it's a good idea to charge for returns and do you use them if they do?

noddyholder Sat 11-May-13 11:16:53

No one wears stuff as the crap stylists show them though! I have lots of lovely cos things.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Sat 11-May-13 11:02:58

Vix, please pm me your website too! Am looking for new swimsuit (not bikini) and the one I ordered from Asos is a bit cheap and nasty.

Sheila Sat 11-May-13 10:53:11

TUCKED in. D'oh.

Sheila Sat 11-May-13 10:52:32

Nehru that shirt might be nice ticked in? <clutches at straws>

Sheila Sat 11-May-13 10:51:15

Beware paying online with Paypal - means you can't return an item to the shop for a refund - found that out the hard way at White Company.

Nehru Sat 11-May-13 10:47:40
Nehru Sat 11-May-13 10:46:51
Nehru Sat 11-May-13 10:46:05

the cos modelles always look like they are drugged

OneHandFlapping Sat 11-May-13 10:18:37

Zara are great.

One click on line to request a courier to come and pick stuff up, Free too.

noddyholder Sat 11-May-13 10:08:33

I agree optional cos slim trousers ad silky tops are great. Love te jewellery too

LifeofPo Sat 11-May-13 09:18:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

optionalExtras Sat 11-May-13 09:13:53

With Cos you have to sift through the odd scuba-diving stuff. I have a silk blouse and 2 pairs of well-cut trews from Cos that I love and have just ordered 3 more things that I hope will be at the chic end of the scale that goes all the way to plain weird

LifeofPo Sat 11-May-13 07:59:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nehru Sat 11-May-13 07:48:28

Mango from John Lewis too.

I don't get cos. it all looks weird Theresa may blue space suit

Phaedra11 Sat 11-May-13 07:32:18

Ooh, just re-read BeattieBow's post and see Cos now offer free returns. May give them another chance....

Phaedra11 Sat 11-May-13 07:29:23

I've got this really odd looking dress from Cos which I only wear around the house (whenever I'm not expecting visitors) because it would have been expensive to return it. I don't buy from them anymore.

I try to buy Toast from the John Lewis website. You can then pick up and return from/to your local John Lewis or Waitrose without paying for postage or returns. I've also bought Mango from House of Fraser and returned to the store for free.

BeattieBow Fri 10-May-13 20:40:17

I once made the mistake of ordering from Cos online without checking. I ordered stuff to try on and had to send things back to Sweden or somewhere. it cost me a fortune. Im guessing lots of people complained as it's now free returns.

try to avoid paying for postage now if I can help it. DH works in Central London so I often send him in to work with parcels for Next/Zara/massimo and the like.

blueshoes Fri 10-May-13 20:10:14

I will only pay for returns if I am buying a few items in a sale and the savings if I keep one or more of them are substantial enough to offset the delivery costs.

valiumredhead Fri 10-May-13 19:13:54

I have stopped ordering from Next, never known such a complicated way of returning things. And you do have to pay if you use the courier service, not if you use the PO. bastards

Nehru Fri 10-May-13 17:57:51

Rang next.
When you return all of them you are refunded delivery.
If you keep one... Oh god I can't remember.

Suffice to say you never pay delivery AND returns. Just one

Thecatsmum Fri 10-May-13 07:43:39

Having been stung for £6 to return one item to Brora I'm now very careful not to buy online unless it's free returns or I can return stuff to a shop. I think about it in terms of bus fair, if it's less than £4 for delivery but free returns then I'll go for it and I'm happy to pay over the odds for next day delivery. However delivery is a fixed cost returns aren't.
Sadly RM has put it's prices up so much that it's not cost effective for the consumer or the company.

Tweetinat Thu 09-May-13 22:05:11

Orangeandlemons - yes, they should refund shipping. But even the big companies rarely do and it's a fight to get the money back. But the law is on your side and a quick email advising them you will notify trading standards usually does the trick grin

onedev Thu 09-May-13 21:26:55

I only ever buy from online retailers with free returns or can return to the store.

I get what you're saying too though Vix grin

Nehru Thu 09-May-13 21:15:22

Fucking hell. Wanky next.

We are OVAH

orangeandemons Thu 09-May-13 21:12:08

And they charge for that shitty catalogue whether you want it or not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now