Do you ever order clothes when you have to pay for returns?

(102 Posts)
Restorer Wed 08-May-13 21:03:23

I'm not good at on-line shopping. Over the years I've kept far too many duff items because I was too lazy to send them back. Now I have a policy that if I don't love it, it goes back. OK is not good enough.

I have a largeish order I'd like to place, including a couple of items in more than one size and colour to see what's best. I thought that was how on-line shopping was supposed to work, but if I have to pay Royal Mail rates to return them, it's going to be very expensive indeed, so I probably won't buy anything at all from this company. I can't go into the shop, because we don't have any decent shops round here - even the slightly better shops only seem to sell the bottom end of their range.

Why do companies think it's a good idea to charge for returns and do you use them if they do?

orangeandemons Thu 09-May-13 21:02:11

I also thought they had to notify you in writing if they were changing their terms, and they never did.

LifeofPo Thu 09-May-13 21:06:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

orangeandemons Thu 09-May-13 21:12:08

And they charge for that shitty catalogue whether you want it or not

Nehru Thu 09-May-13 21:15:22

Fucking hell. Wanky next.

We are OVAH

onedev Thu 09-May-13 21:26:55

I only ever buy from online retailers with free returns or can return to the store.

I get what you're saying too though Vix grin

Tweetinat Thu 09-May-13 22:05:11

Orangeandlemons - yes, they should refund shipping. But even the big companies rarely do and it's a fight to get the money back. But the law is on your side and a quick email advising them you will notify trading standards usually does the trick grin

Thecatsmum Fri 10-May-13 07:43:39

Having been stung for £6 to return one item to Brora I'm now very careful not to buy online unless it's free returns or I can return stuff to a shop. I think about it in terms of bus fair, if it's less than £4 for delivery but free returns then I'll go for it and I'm happy to pay over the odds for next day delivery. However delivery is a fixed cost returns aren't.
Sadly RM has put it's prices up so much that it's not cost effective for the consumer or the company.

Nehru Fri 10-May-13 17:57:51

Rang next.
When you return all of them you are refunded delivery.
If you keep one... Oh god I can't remember.

Suffice to say you never pay delivery AND returns. Just one

valiumredhead Fri 10-May-13 19:13:54

I have stopped ordering from Next, never known such a complicated way of returning things. And you do have to pay if you use the courier service, not if you use the PO. bastards

blueshoes Fri 10-May-13 20:10:14

I will only pay for returns if I am buying a few items in a sale and the savings if I keep one or more of them are substantial enough to offset the delivery costs.

BeattieBow Fri 10-May-13 20:40:17

I once made the mistake of ordering from Cos online without checking. I ordered stuff to try on and had to send things back to Sweden or somewhere. it cost me a fortune. Im guessing lots of people complained as it's now free returns.

try to avoid paying for postage now if I can help it. DH works in Central London so I often send him in to work with parcels for Next/Zara/massimo and the like.

Phaedra11 Sat 11-May-13 07:29:23

I've got this really odd looking dress from Cos which I only wear around the house (whenever I'm not expecting visitors) because it would have been expensive to return it. I don't buy from them anymore.

I try to buy Toast from the John Lewis website. You can then pick up and return from/to your local John Lewis or Waitrose without paying for postage or returns. I've also bought Mango from House of Fraser and returned to the store for free.

Phaedra11 Sat 11-May-13 07:32:18

Ooh, just re-read BeattieBow's post and see Cos now offer free returns. May give them another chance....

Nehru Sat 11-May-13 07:48:28

Mango from John Lewis too.

I don't get cos. it all looks weird Theresa may blue space suit

LifeofPo Sat 11-May-13 07:59:34

optionalExtras Sat 11-May-13 09:13:53

With Cos you have to sift through the odd scuba-diving stuff. I have a silk blouse and 2 pairs of well-cut trews from Cos that I love and have just ordered 3 more things that I hope will be at the chic end of the scale that goes all the way to plain weird

LifeofPo Sat 11-May-13 09:18:03

noddyholder Sat 11-May-13 10:08:33

I agree optional cos slim trousers ad silky tops are great. Love te jewellery too

OneHandFlapping Sat 11-May-13 10:18:37

Zara are great.

One click on line to request a courier to come and pick stuff up, Free too.

Nehru Sat 11-May-13 10:46:05

the cos modelles always look like they are drugged

Nehru Sat 11-May-13 10:46:51
Nehru Sat 11-May-13 10:47:40
Sheila Sat 11-May-13 10:51:15

Beware paying online with Paypal - means you can't return an item to the shop for a refund - found that out the hard way at White Company.

Sheila Sat 11-May-13 10:52:32

Nehru that shirt might be nice ticked in? <clutches at straws>

Sheila Sat 11-May-13 10:53:11

TUCKED in. D'oh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now