in search of the perfect nail varnish

(63 Posts)
eggybrokenoff Tue 07-May-13 21:11:53

like you get in nail bars - the sort of neutral/pinky shade that makes your nails just look healthy, that resists chipping and doesnt need top coat. a boring topic i know but i cant afford a proper manicure or pedicure and my nails look manky

mrspaddy Tue 07-May-13 21:15:17

Hi there.. I have recently bought Maybelline 7 day gel Forever Strong Pro.. colour was Rose Poudre but there were a couple of nude shades. Only cost 4-5 pound. Lasted about six before any little chip. Shellac Type look to it. Exactly what I wanted - same as you - just a tidy look for everyday wear.

eggybrokenoff Tue 07-May-13 21:18:13

that sounds exactly what i want - just a nive clean tidy look for fingers and toes that doesnt need touching up every other day

MotheringShites Tue 07-May-13 21:23:06

My local walk-in nail bar charge £7 for a file and polish. Treat yourself.

mrspaddy Tue 07-May-13 21:23:26

Well I took mine off last night and too tired to redo so I did it while kettle was boiling this morning and it dried perfect and quick.
Now I am not the world greatest groomer.. so that is good for me.
That goodness something finally decent on the market. Will be throwing out my old cheap polishes now. Don't have the time/effort for French either but this has that type of look to it. Won't break the bank either.

dontyouwantmebaby Wed 08-May-13 00:08:13

the new Revlon colourstay ones are brilliant, long-lasting, loads of nude shades to choose from too. cost 7/8 quid in Boots when I last looked. has a wide brush like essie ones have. they have a brilliant shine that looks like you've just been to a salon too. am a total convert to these recently.

Loubyloulou88 Wed 08-May-13 01:22:50

Rimmel 60 seconds in Princess Pink. Has a brilliant applicator brush and two coats of this give your nails a really healthy natural finish. Plus it's easy on the purse. Win win grin x

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Wed 08-May-13 06:10:43

I was just reading about this Bobbi Brown nude polish on a stylist's blog.

Sounds lovely.

Hopefully Wed 08-May-13 06:13:39

Essie does about a zillion shades of neutral, and it's available in boots now.

SundaySimmons Wed 08-May-13 07:05:07

Essie Sugar Daddy

rubyflipper Wed 08-May-13 07:34:31

Essie Allure is a very sheer pale pink that never streaks and makes your nails look naturally glossy and lovely.

Nehru Wed 08-May-13 07:34:58

agree colourstay is good.
the suntan colour is nice

ifancyashandy Wed 08-May-13 07:37:07

Essie with a top coat of Seche Vite lasts me a week. Amazing stuff.

Nehru Wed 08-May-13 07:37:13

oh no ';natural tan"

ananikifo Wed 08-May-13 07:59:35

Avoiding chopping has more to do with application and base/top coat than with brand or formula. In my experience, it's the base coat that makes the biggest difference.

It sounds like the colour you want will depend hugely on your own skin tone, but I bet Essie will have one to match you.

KristyWills Wed 08-May-13 09:19:52

Avon do really good nail varnishes and they dry super quick as well! They do some gorgeous colours as well.

valiumredhead Wed 08-May-13 09:30:49

Nails Inc do great neutral shades, I've just ordered Porchester Square.

carrie74 Wed 08-May-13 09:50:33

Another vote for Essie - great for neutral shades.

gaggiagirl Wed 08-May-13 12:17:18

Another vote for nails inc porchester square and another vote for Essie topped with seche vite.

valiumredhead Wed 08-May-13 14:25:12

I thought of this thread when I was in town earlier, New Rimmel polish called Salon pro in Soul Sister is the MOST perfect neutral pink ever!

JonesH Thu 09-May-13 14:42:34

I would also recommend the OPI Range..they have soo many different shades of pinks, or neutral colours, so you've got a lot to choose from, I would suggest the OPI-Italian Love Affair as there is a nice shine to the polish! I do also think Essie have some great polishes to choose from, and chip resistant too, completely up to you on preference!

gaggiagirl Thu 09-May-13 14:58:52

OPI is on offer 2 bottles for £10 at the original factory shop if anyone has one local to them its worth a look they also have Essie Metallics going cheap.

Stevie77 Thu 09-May-13 15:44:00

I'm an Essie and OPI fan but Essie are pants and chip v quickly. Seche Vite scares me so have never tried it. I suffer in silence...

gaggiagirl Thu 09-May-13 17:32:33

Stevie buy some seche from amazon where its cheaper and give it a whirl I too feared the seche but found it goes on like any other top coat it stinks of nail bar too which adds to its glamour!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now