How long is your share of the hanging rail in your wardrobe?

(45 Posts)
ADefiniteMaybe Tue 07-May-13 18:41:04

That's it really. I am getting a new wardrobe and have decided that it and one half of the chest of drawers will hold all of my clothes. I want to own less, wear them more in my new improved world smile. My DH is also going to fit the base of the wardrobe with two long shelves for extra storage but that will be it.

DuchessFanny Tue 07-May-13 18:52:28

I have two Rails, my DH has one, we share the drawers .... His drawers are full to bursting, and mine aren't so I think we balance each other out !

ADefiniteMaybe Tue 07-May-13 18:54:04

But how long are the rails - my new wardrobe will be 120 cms. Is that going to be enough smile

What is this "share" of which you speak?

KingRollo Tue 07-May-13 18:55:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KirstyJC Tue 07-May-13 18:56:30

We have 2 wardrobes - so I have a metre rail to myself. (And the back of the bedroom door. And the back of the bathroom door. And some of the space in DS2's wardrobe)

JollyOrangeGiant Tue 07-May-13 18:58:19

I have about 3 inches.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 07-May-13 18:58:44

I have about 4 ft of rail,DH has about 2ft.
I also have more drawer space.

We have a metre rail each (one wardrobe, two compartments). I also have 4 wide drawers and 4 small ones (wide ones have vests, teeshirts, jeans, sports clothes, nightclothes, small ones have knickers, bras, socks and tights). DH has 3 wide drawers inside his half of the wardrobe as he only needs half height for his hanging clothes and one small one.

headlesslambrini Italy Tue 07-May-13 19:04:37

I have two double wardrobes and a single wardrobe and 6 drawers but they are only tiny and another double wardrobe in the spare bedroom. dh has 3 drawers and about 4-5 inches of the wardrobe which he had to beg for

I have a double wardrobe and DH a single.

As KingRollo said, DH crams clean and dirty clothes in his wardrobe.. Gross. When we moved in with each other the wardrobe situation had to be thrashed out before I ever entertained the idea smile

YouAreFired Tue 07-May-13 19:11:27

I have about a foot and a half sad. It isn't enough, I also have 4 drawers. I have to fold things that should be hung up because there just ins't room, can't fit more wardrobe space in my bedroom though.

cassell Tue 07-May-13 19:15:51

I have 1m hanging space. Dh has 3m hmm envy. He has 6 drawers and so do I. He wonders why my clothes are always all over the bedroom.

Pinkflipflop Tue 07-May-13 19:16:03

My clothes fill 3 wardrobes in 3 of our bedrooms! Ds and dh put their clothes on a rail in the spare room!

ADefiniteMaybe Tue 07-May-13 19:29:33

KatieScarlett smile.
This will be an interesting exercise - we will each have the same amount of storage - a wardrobe each, mine will be a beautiful temple of loveliness and his will be a stuffed, crumpled pigsty!!

I should add that mine is nowhere near enough, I generally have to throw something away for everything I buy and don't consider myself to have an extensive wardrobe. I tend to follow the 80/20 rule, ie 20% of the stuff gets worn 80% of the time, but the rest does get worn occasionally and justifies being kept.

mewkins Tue 07-May-13 19:42:17

Mine is a metre long. Then I have two and a half shelves for jumpers etc and three drawers for underwear and tshirts. Plus we have another wardrobe for coats and assorted crap we can't be bothered to bin.

FrugalFashionista Tue 07-May-13 20:41:45

OP I'm aiming for the same. Want to downsize! I have an one metre rail in my main wardrobe (with three pull-out wire baskets for shoes) plus one 50 cm unit of wire drawers (8-10?) and ideally it would hold all of my clothes (coats and boots not included).

Currently, I also occupy half of the walk-in closet rail, a big cardboard storage box in the cellar, and have a closet full of coats and half a rail of clohes in my other home. All of this is excess and clutter that I don't really need sad

VivaLeBeaver Tue 07-May-13 20:46:07

I have two double wardrobes to myself.

Chubfuddler Tue 07-May-13 20:46:37

100% of a triple wardrobe. But then I am separated.

We have a 4m long wardrobe - it's from Ikea and is also very tall. DH has 1m of it (which gives him a shelf at the top, a hanging rail, another shelf, 2 drawers and a trouser hanger pull out.

The other 3 metres are mine blush I have built my drawers in to that too so it holds all my underwear, PJs etc as well. Because some of it is double height that basically means I have 4m of hanging rail, 5 large drawers and 5 or 6 small drawers.

emsyj Tue 07-May-13 21:31:42

We have equal hanging space but I also have some shelves that I use for cosmetics, perfume and gym stuff. We have separate chests of drawers for undies etc. Neither of us has very many clothes tho.

QuinionsRainbow England Tue 07-May-13 22:56:44

DH and I each have two-door built-in wardrobes for long items, and each have a rail in a third single-door wardrobe for shirts, blouses etc. We each have a small 3-drawer bedside cupboard, and share a 6-drawer chest of drawers.

Theselittlelightsofmine Tue 07-May-13 23:01:41

I have two chest of drawers and 3/4 of the wardrobe space smile

DH has to squeeze his stuff in where he can grin

Llareggub Tue 07-May-13 23:07:50

I have it all to myself. One of the many benefits of being single, although I have rather begrudgingly given over a drawer to my chap who stays over occasionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now