fair skin...never ever had a 'red' lippy. is there one that'd work?!

(85 Posts)
iamnowawhaticallmother Mon 06-May-13 22:28:41

I have fair skin, light blonde hair, green eyes. Generally wear v subtle make up and akl pinks. I would LOVE to wear a striking lipstick.but they all look rudiculous on me. Can i wear a dark/ a red lipstick or am i forever to wear nudes?!

SorrelForbes Thu 09-May-13 09:49:29

Catlik You've convinced me to try the Revlon lip butters again. I'll pop into town tomorrow and have a trying on session!

ellajayne Thu 09-May-13 09:55:33

Maybelline's 14 Hour lipstick in Non Stop Red is a very wearable light red for pale skins day to day. For more impact go straight to MAC and ask to try on Ruby Woo. It's a matte texture so you need a good scrub and lip balm but it is the ultimate suits-all red.

ellajayne Thu 09-May-13 09:56:42

Ooh yes! Also the Kate Moss for Rimmel matte in 107 is a beautiful deep red. It's Demi-matte but half the price of the MAC lipstick and lasts just as well, just a more berry toned colour.

SorrelForbes Thu 09-May-13 09:56:47

ellajayne Hmmm, I've tried Ruby Woo at least 5 times and it looks bloody awful on me. Fantastic on a couple of my friends though.

ellajayne Thu 09-May-13 09:58:19

What about MAC Viva Glam which is similar to Ruby Woo but slightly different in tone or Lady Danger for a more orange toned red? Illamasqua Sangers is another very wearable red.

SorrelForbes Thu 09-May-13 10:00:55

Yep, got the Kate Moss reds in 107 and 111 and both are terrible on me.

I do a bit of the old amateur theatricals and for most shows I wear Max Factor lip finity in 120. It looks fine onstage especially for a vintage, showgirl look but I could never wear it it RL.

SorrelForbes Thu 09-May-13 10:03:53

Nope, tried Russian Red and Viva Glam and hated both. Even the MAC assistant agreed they didn't suit me. I'm 43 and most people tell me I don't look more than 30 (I'm playing an 18 year old in my next show deluded) but honestly all those lipsticks made me look about 55.

Lady Danger sounds a possibility so I'll check that out, thanks.

iamnowawhaticallmother Thu 09-May-13 11:24:35

Hi all - thanks for all your advice. I tried the Revlon Candy Apple ... and nope! I still look like a whore / man in drag. Oh woe is me! I might see if the people at MAC can help me - but i fear I am doomed for pinks forever. In other news - I now have warm dark golden hair and a bit of a tan - so the pinks are looking better. Thanks for all your advice. This forum is great!

JeanPaget Thu 09-May-13 11:30:27

I love Revlon Cherries in the Snow, it's got an almost pink-y tone to it that I think is really flattering. It's much less drying than the MAC ones.

fridgepants Thu 09-May-13 22:58:42

Ruby Woo is way too bright on me - it kind of sits on my face instead of being part of out iyswim - I prefer Russian Red, Lady Bug and Brave Red.

1gglePiggle Thu 09-May-13 23:07:54

If you want a cheapie try Miss Sporty Dr Balm in sweet kiss SOS. It's a nice sheer red, doesn't last on lips long but only a couple of quid. It's a good gentle way of starting to wear red!

JustinBiebermakesmevom Fri 10-May-13 08:34:03

I'd love to get away with red lipstick (have similar colouring to OP, short blonde hair, green eyes) but unfortunately I'm prone to hormonal break outs on my chin. At the moment I have something resembling a meteorite on the right side of my chin....I do think a red lippy can suit any colouring but only if your chin is pretty much perfect....

comelywenchlywoo Fri 10-May-13 14:46:48

If you are considering getting a Revlon lippy, pop to Boots, put your advantage card in the special machine, print off the £2 off lipstick voucher and get your lippy for £2 less. I don't know how long the offer lasts but I did it today when I succumbed to MN S and B peer pressure yet again

SorrelForbes Fri 10-May-13 15:41:22

Oh thanks, will pop to Boots tomorrow!

babybarrister Fri 10-May-13 22:58:51

I just got the Revlon lip butter cqandy apple - nice colour - thanks S and B ...

Catlike Sat 11-May-13 09:07:10

Same here! It's lovely smile Has the teeniest tiniest gold flecks in, which make it very pretty and forgiving to wear.

It's 3 for 2 at revlon in boots at the moment too...

Sounds like you are cooler toned TBH. I am warm toned and can't wear bright pinks as they look very odd.

There is a red out there for you! My personal favourite is this one which is not a brown toned as it looks.

I can't find a swatch of it online as most blogs are not allowed in work. If you have an Illamasqua counter/store near you I would urge you to visit them - I much prefer their reds to MAC, and they have lots of variations.

Acually this pic gives you a better idea of different colours.

SorrelForbes Sat 11-May-13 16:56:08

Ok, I've just bought the Revlon Candy Apple. Lovely. I think it's the sheerness that makes it wearable on me.

mrsblakey Sat 11-May-13 18:16:33

just bought the revlon candy apple too !!

TallulahBetty Sat 11-May-13 18:33:37

There must be a national shortage by now!!

SorrelForbes Sat 11-May-13 19:48:50

I got the last Candy Apple in the very large Boots where I live. There was another lady trying the tester and I leant across her and took the last one blush

scottishmummy Sat 11-May-13 22:16:00

good for you,after all,you snooze you lose

comelywenchlywoo Sat 11-May-13 22:40:34

I had to try two Boots to get mine. The first one only had a tester and one that clearly had been used (yuk).

I'm really in love with this lippy. Lovely and sheer, but with a pop of colour. Thank you S&B!

SorrelForbes Sat 11-May-13 23:26:31

comely. You're not in the SW are you? The tester in my boots was in an awfully yucky state

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now