Florence - what would you buy?

(11 Posts)

Leather gloves. They have shops that will fit you specially, huge range of colours and styles. And an umbrella shaped like the duomo ;-)

Awks Mon 06-May-13 22:10:16

Superga's are Itallian, wonder if they are cheaper as I know Flossy's are 6 euro in Spain and £18 here.

FrugalFashionista Mon 06-May-13 21:19:36

Italian pharmacies are good, they have lots of parapharmacie products (found the LRP concealer in one, my best ever) and slightly random things like L'Erbolario and baby stuff. But expensive. I think SMN is the oldest continuously working pharmacy/ cosmetics shop in the world. Full of Japanese tourists but an amazing variety of quirky products.

I went to an unusually calm and friendly Chanel boutique in Florence and bought a bottle if 28 La Pausa (their iris perfume) - Florentine iris is one of the loveliest perfumery ingredients out there.

MrsSnow Mon 06-May-13 21:08:53

Thanks thats lots for me to look out for.

Re the pharmacies, I was in one in Naples recently and they just looked as if they were filled with some amazing this but I just didn't know what they were! Maybe it is just good packaging!!

santamarianovella Mon 06-May-13 20:06:46

i second frugal a visit to smn is a must!
you can shop at outlets if you like Italian designers.
or just walk around,florence if full of beautiful small shops,selling everything from shoes locally made to jewelry.
i have a beautiful gladiator flats,ala louboutin from a local shop there, it costed around 35 euros,very compfy.

NewChoos Mon 06-May-13 19:42:48

I got 2 lovely pashmina's when there recently.

Nerfmother Mon 06-May-13 19:30:01

Ooooooh I used to live there! Posh perfume shop in via della scala, totally lost on me, fab market San Lorenzo and loads of jewellery on ponte vecchio, near there opposite the boboli gardens is a lovely shop selling missoni. Avoid the cafe in the main piazza (revoir is lovely) and go to the lovely restaurant near Santa Croce .

FrugalFashionista Mon 06-May-13 19:25:11

Perfume. If you like the heady and heavy italianate style, Santa Maria Novella (lots of other products too - their toothpaste is the most stylish I've ever had) and Lorenzo Villoresi (of Teint de Neige Yerbamate fame) are locals. But basically any profumeria has a good selection, often things that are hard to find elsewhere.

TooMuchRain Mon 06-May-13 19:22:27

yes, there's a lot of leather stuff but quality varies hugely.

Not sure what you mean about pharmacies - generally italian ones are super-expensive because there's no competition.

Crutchlow35 Mon 06-May-13 19:18:26

Leather is a big thing there. Lots of stalls selling bags etc.

MrsSnow Mon 06-May-13 19:13:21

Thats it really, what things would you buy from Florence? Are there any Italian pharmacy star buys?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now