Bra intervention - have I got this right?

(1000 Posts)
Wenchelda Mon 06-May-13 14:02:29

Hi - I'm new, hope its ok to come straight on with a question....I Somehow stumbled across one of the bra intervention threads a couple of weeks ago and have been following them in amazement ever since.

I've always worn an A cup (32/34 pre pregnancy, currently 36A) - never been measured professionally but always done it myself based on the "add 4 or 5 inches" rule. I have pretty much constant back ache and neck pain but never ever imagined this could be caused by boobs as they really are so tiny!

But after reading your fascinating threads, I think I should be a 30/32D! My measurements are 31 under bust, 35 at fullest point when bending over to 90 degrees, and 34 above. Have I got that right? If so I am truly truly in shock that my almost-not-there boobs are a D!!

Thanks

SorrelForbes Wed 23-Apr-14 19:33:20

Cleo are my favourite grin

Bodicea Wed 23-Apr-14 16:57:33

Sorrel that's intersting. I definateley get on better with panache and masquerade. Might try cleo x

SorrelForbes Wed 23-Apr-14 14:35:42

If you like Panache, then I'd stick with that brand and other bras with narrow wires, deep cups. I like the Panache Idina balconette (it does come in a plunge as well) which is now available in baby blue from Bravissimo as well as nude and black. It's got a very retro feel.

lurkerspeaks Wed 23-Apr-14 13:05:19

Ok guys - suggestions - I have for years and years worn the Panache Tango 2 I've been measured lots of times over the years and am fairly confident that I'm wearing the right size (34 HH) but I'm bored rigid and would like something else..

The reason I end up with these is that no other bra ever sits flat between my boobs. However the (big) bra market is much more sophisticated now - anyone got any suggestions…..

SorrelForbes Wed 23-Apr-14 11:56:12

amazonianwoman TBH M&S sizing is a bit random so I wouldn't worry too much about how their bras fit/don't fit compared to other, better brands. However, if the straps feel too wide then yes, I suspect that the band is too big.

Back to front, how far can you stretch the band away from your body?

A 34GG would have the equivalent cup volume to a 36G but bear in mind that your M&S 36Gs are really only around a 36FF so it may be worth trying 34G too.

amazonianwoman Wed 23-Apr-14 11:41:53

Just having an objective look at the bras I'm about to return now that I have more time. The straps feel too wide on my shoulders; I can quite easily fasten the band back to front. Would this indicate that the band is too wide? Should I try 34GG instead? The cups on the 36GG were too big.

Antidote Wed 23-Apr-14 10:08:43

Right, I've ordered a selection from bra stop and debenhams.

I'll report back when they arrive.

amazonianwoman Wed 23-Apr-14 09:46:00

I've ordered one from Amazon, can't remember if it's Cleo or Curvy Kate. Will report back!

SorrelForbes Wed 23-Apr-14 09:18:14

Bodicea It's because most of them adhere to the +4/5" rule. It's very outdated and just doesn't work with today's fabrics and cuts.

Panache and Fantasie are very different shapes (the former being much deeper with longer wires and the latter shallow and wide) so I'm a bit surprised you like bras from both ranges. Usually people get on with the Freya/Fantasie/Fauve range or the Panache/Cleo/Masquerage brand. I'm most definitely in the latter camp. I can't wear Curvy Kate, Tutti Rouge or Affinitas either, all too shallow.

Bodicea Wed 23-Apr-14 08:34:51

Amazonian woman. The best makes I have found are panache and fantasie. Some Freya is ok (I personally don't get in with them but the are probably the best brand for soft cups). I would add that soft cups are all right to use once in a while but don't think they are as supportive so tend to only have a couple for specific tops and wear balconettes on a day to day basis as I find these the most supportive and flattering.

Bodicea Wed 23-Apr-14 08:27:32

I have never understood why so many bra fitters get it so wrong. It is their job for goodness sake. I have always worn a small back size large cup size ( normally a 30e or thereabouts) the amount of people that couldn't get their heads round that was astonishing. I swear it was the reason my boobs were still pretty perky despite their size ( breastfeeding at the mo so we will see if it continues).
There are some shocking fitters out there.

SorrelForbes Wed 23-Apr-14 07:54:33

amazonianwoman What a shame! Worth a try though as some people do get on with M&S bras. Having said that, the construction of their bras isn't very well scaled for larger cups. Also, M&S don't do a FF cup so your G is really an FF. However, M&S sizing is very random so don't be surprised if you end up with a 36G/GG or a 34 at Bravissimo.

amazonianwoman Wed 23-Apr-14 00:12:05

Not excellent sad From M&S. They aren't comfortable now that I've tried them on at home, the wires are much too high into the armpit. I'm taking them back tomorrow and going to Bravissimo next week.

Now that I've read most of the thread I realise I should've avoided M&S! (Didn't use their fitting service I hasten to add)

SorrelForbes Tue 22-Apr-14 17:27:43

amazonianwoman Excellent! What did you buy?

boogiewoogie Tue 22-Apr-14 17:10:12

Rosina 32E is far too small in cup size.
They go up a letter with each inch difference like this A, B, C, D, DD, E, F, FF, G, GG etc

So if you're 33 under and 41 over then either try 32G or 34F also try cup sizes on either side.

amazonianwoman Tue 22-Apr-14 16:43:59

Thanks. Have been shopping and now have two 36Gs smile And matching knickers! The GGs were gaping a bit at the top.

What a revelation!

RosinaCopper Tue 22-Apr-14 12:30:04

Please can I check something before I order some bras online?

I currently wear 32E and 34DD depending on brand, does that sound right?. My measurements are:

33 under bust
41 bending over at 90 degrees

I prefer smooth cup t shirt bras as I don't like seams and lace showing through my clothes. I think I've had panache superbras in the past, but mine are all so old that the wires are poking through and the writing on the labels has worn away!

I am also at least a stone overweight at the moment, so while I know I have to buy a couple of new bras, I don't want to spend a fortune as I hope I'll be a bit smaller of cup once I've lost some weight. I also am wary of getting either a double row when the cup is too small, but some of my pre children bras now leave me 'pooling' a bit at the bottom, as I am fairly ancient and lack some of the fullness I had when I was younger!

Any suggestions on size, brand and styles gratefully received!

SorrelForbes Tue 22-Apr-14 10:57:54

There are lots of good on-line stores:

Brastop

My Curves & Me

Leia Outlet

Figleaves

and surprisingly, Amazon!

Don't be shocked if you find you need a 34 in some bands, as it's very common for those of us who have slightly squidgy torsos, to need a smaller band than we measure.

amazonianwoman Tue 22-Apr-14 10:46:42

Just stumbled across this thread and am stupidly excited.

Current bras are 38D or 40C and are saggy and unflattering. Have just measured under boobs as 36" and fullest bending over at 46 so that's 36GG right?

Where can I buy that size at a reasonable price with matching knickers (MUST have matching underwear grin). I'm planning on losing weight (3-4 stone) so don't want to spend a fortune yet...

Antidote Tue 22-Apr-14 10:24:52

Thanks sorrel. I'll have a read of the whole thread in a minute to find out where to buy from.

SorrelForbes Tue 22-Apr-14 10:16:54

Antidote Try 30FF/G and 32F/FF.

Antidote Tue 22-Apr-14 10:08:38

This is the week I start taking my wardrobe in hand before going back to work, starting with my bras.

Just measured myself as 31 under and 39 over (but DD needs a feed so that might be a tad generous).

Does that make me a 32 E?

SorrelForbes Tue 22-Apr-14 09:15:48

Parsley2506 Yep, that's correct. A 32E will have roughly the same cup volume as a 36D. If you scoop whilst wearing your 36C, have you got overspill?

Nightwish What are the specific fit issue with the 32B?

Good sports bras include the Freya Active (size up in the band!), Panache, Enell, Shock Absorber.

Parsley2506 Mon 21-Apr-14 22:27:33

I have literally just stumbled on this thread by pure chance but it's absolutely fascinating and enlightening. I'm ashamed to admit I was sized by not so good old M&S at a 36C about 2 years ago, but following this thread I've just checked myself and it looks like I need to be trying some 32Es!! (32 under, 38 over - I've got that right haven't i??)

My flabber is 100% gasted!

Nightwish Mon 21-Apr-14 21:07:37

32B, fits awful and is so worn I can only do up one clasp... desperately in need of new but I always seem to send them back.
My sports bra is also in 32B so they get a bit squished, any recommendations on a good one? =]
And thank you, much appreciated.

This thread is not accepting new messages.