Bra intervention - have I got this right?

(1000 Posts)
Wenchelda Mon 06-May-13 14:02:29

Hi - I'm new, hope its ok to come straight on with a question....I Somehow stumbled across one of the bra intervention threads a couple of weeks ago and have been following them in amazement ever since.

I've always worn an A cup (32/34 pre pregnancy, currently 36A) - never been measured professionally but always done it myself based on the "add 4 or 5 inches" rule. I have pretty much constant back ache and neck pain but never ever imagined this could be caused by boobs as they really are so tiny!

But after reading your fascinating threads, I think I should be a 30/32D! My measurements are 31 under bust, 35 at fullest point when bending over to 90 degrees, and 34 above. Have I got that right? If so I am truly truly in shock that my almost-not-there boobs are a D!!

Thanks

SorrelForbes Tue 19-Nov-13 19:00:22

Hmmm, I'm not that familiar with Flirtelle but I believe they're made by Curvy Kate a brand which just doesn't suit me at all. The cups are too shallow. Would you say your breasts project quite a way or are they shallow (sometimes wide set too)?

IWipeArses Tue 19-Nov-13 20:25:43

I've got bulbous boobs, long. I suspect it's the narrow root combined with large volume problem.

SorrelForbes Tue 19-Nov-13 20:59:58

If you think you'll definitely keep the bra then you could try very gently bending the wires to a more 'body' shape. I do this to quite a few of my stiffer bras.

TopHatAndTails Tue 19-Nov-13 21:15:33

Hi ladies I would really appreciate some help. I have just tried measuring under breasts and then around fullest part whilst bending forwards, my measurements are 31" and 45 1/2". What size does that make me? I usually wear anything from 36DD to 34F. But I have a lot of trouble with underwires digging in and often find I have to readjust myself as I grow a third boob in the middle through the day! blush. Any advice most gratefully received.

SorrelForbes Tue 19-Nov-13 21:32:47

Your measurements suggest trying a 30K/KK and 32JJ/K.

Your current 36DD has a cup volume equivalent to a 30FF/32F. Your 34F has a cup volume equivalent to a 30G /32FF. So, quire a big difference!

What happens if you scoop (with vigour)? I would expect you to have a lot of overspill/quad boob/under arm bulge etc.

TopHatAndTails Tue 19-Nov-13 21:38:07

Yes Sorrel a lot of over spillage blush. Thank you so much for your help. Friends have often commented on the size of my bust but I must admit it doesn't look that big to me. But I'm at my wits end with bra's so I will definitely try going up to the size you suggest but yikes! I guess I will never get a decent sports bra.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply smile

IWipeArses Tue 19-Nov-13 21:41:00

Yes, I could flatten out the bottom of the wire, thank you.

SorrelForbes Tue 19-Nov-13 21:47:36

TopHatAndTails Honestly, a really good, properly fitting bra will probably make you look smaller! Anyway, a 30/32 K really isn't THAT big. Make sure you try a brand with strong wires like Panache.

TopHatAndTails Tue 19-Nov-13 21:55:54

Thanks Sorrel feel much better now smile It's not that I think its a huge size, just that I struggle to get a sports bra in an F cup! Does anyone know a decent make? I resort to riding in 2 normal bra's at the moment. Think my friends have been trying to tell me for a while that I'm more bulges than boobs blush. Thanks again Sorrel.

SorrelForbes Tue 19-Nov-13 21:58:28

Enell, Shock Absorber and Freya Active underwired are all highly regarded. Sports bras often come up small so be prepare to size up. In the Freya I'd recommend trying a 34 band.

FlamingGallah Tue 19-Nov-13 22:13:47

Thanks Sorrel, I spoke to a very nice lady at Bravissimo who also said it didn't sound right. It was a Panache bra and she certainly wasn't surprised it was chaffing, said it was not uncommon. She recommended some other styles and they are sending them out to me.

Very impressed with their service so far!

SorrelForbes Wed 20-Nov-13 07:01:16

They really are excellent aren't they? Panache are very stiff bras and can take some getting used to. Hopefully the new styles they're sending will suit you better.

Curioustiger Thu 21-Nov-13 00:08:50

Hello again I tried a 32ff and a 32g in debenhams' gorgeous range (cheap!) and also a longline Freya bra as well. I would be hard pushed to say which one fitted better of the two but I much preferred the styles to the last ones I tried. The cups seem right but they feel so tight though with a bit of back fat (tbf I think I actually do have a bit of a fat back, I imagine no bra will eliminate that!) ... And the straps are that very thick type of strap, I don't think they're super flattering on...

I am having a bit of a wobble! I miss my simple 36D life!

SorrelForbes Thu 21-Nov-13 07:08:32

Debenhams Gorgeous range tends to come up about 1 size too small in the cup and the band IME. I've tried on bras in a 32H which have been too small (I'm a 30GG). I don't get on wth Freya at a I'm afraid so can't advise there.

My go to bras a the moment are the Cleo range. They seem to suit a lot people and run true to size. They are very pretty, low at the sides and have fairly thin straps. You can usually pick up a set for under £30 for last seasons colors.

Passthecake30 Thu 21-Nov-13 13:58:12

sorrel what are your faves in the Cleo range? I currently have 2 black 30ff junas that I like, but I'm not overly impressed with the cream one that they have, so, any suggestions?

SorrelForbes Thu 21-Nov-13 15:23:26

My current favourites are the Bella, Melissa, Lily and Marcie

HazleNutt Thu 21-Nov-13 16:02:15

Freya Active underwired is the best sports bra I've tried so far. I need to size up in Shock Absorbers, but could get Freya in my usual back size. It's tight, but will stretch just enough when you're wearing it. The moulded one is not bad either, although I find it slightly less supportive.

Passthecake30 Fri 22-Nov-13 09:09:26

Thanks sorrel, will look smile

Curioustiger Sat 23-Nov-13 18:51:31

I'm back with another silly qu. I wore my 32ff Freya bra today which was comfortable enough if a tight fit. When I took it off after six hours or so there were red marks around my rib cage. Does that mean its too tight? Sorry for silly questions, but everything I thought I knew about bras has been turned on its head by Mumsnet!

SorrelForbes Sun 24-Nov-13 00:46:45

No, I get red marks from all my bras (similar to waist band marks from jeans or ankle marks from socks). As long as they're not sore then all should be ok!

arleta66 Mon 23-Dec-13 14:23:30

Hi everyone, have just come across mumsnet and this thread. I dread bra shopping these days, used to be a 34b (decades ago now!) and just pick a bra up from M&S no problems. But nowadays am (I think) a 36e and have a lot of trouble finding bras that fit and feel comfy, I shop mainly at M&S as can't afford Bravissimo and find that M&s t shirt bras(which is the style I like ) often leave a gap at top of cup for me ,but am filling bottom and couldn't go for a smaller cup as wouldn't be sitting flat against ribcage. It seems that my boobs are wider at the bottom than top, but surely this happens with time with bigger boobs, gravity affects us all!! I am in my late forties and have breast fed but they are by no means lemons in socks! lol! if you know what I mean, as have never done crash diet or quick weight loss. I usually go for a plunge style as one boob slightly bigger than other so with balconette I get wire digging in that boob. I am wondering if I could be wearing wrong size but back size feels ok other than on old bras, which have stretched. Can anyone else advise please as to which style bra to try?

SorrelForbes Mon 23-Dec-13 15:05:44

M&S bras at pretty crap and moulded tshirt style are very tricky to fit as they don't mould to your shape. What are your under bust (tight) and over bust (loose) measurements?

As SF said, measure yourself as per this guide and report back

if you boobs are fuller on bottom then moulded t shirt bras are a very difficult style to wear. They're harder anyway but in this instance are probably not helping matters.

There is also info on that site for how to fit asymmetrical boobs - still measure the same way but that should help when it comes to shopping

EustaciaVye Mon 23-Dec-13 18:17:07

ladies. I bought some new bras in a 36H the other day and they fit well, look great once I have scooped grin . However, one if the underwires seems to start digging into me under the arm half way through the day. Any suggestions?

It could be a style issue - which bra is it? However if you have been wearing the wrong size it could also just be a case of getting accustomed to it. If (like most folk) your old bra was big in the back and small in the cup then the old wires will have sat much further forward so the pressure points will be totally different and your skin will need a bit of time to adjust.

It's a bit like the first time you put flip flips on after months in sensible shoes - they invariable rub your feet where the straps are, or between the toe or wherever because you aren't used to them

This thread is not accepting new messages.