Bra intervention - have I got this right?

(1000 Posts)
Wenchelda Mon 06-May-13 14:02:29

Hi - I'm new, hope its ok to come straight on with a question....I Somehow stumbled across one of the bra intervention threads a couple of weeks ago and have been following them in amazement ever since.

I've always worn an A cup (32/34 pre pregnancy, currently 36A) - never been measured professionally but always done it myself based on the "add 4 or 5 inches" rule. I have pretty much constant back ache and neck pain but never ever imagined this could be caused by boobs as they really are so tiny!

But after reading your fascinating threads, I think I should be a 30/32D! My measurements are 31 under bust, 35 at fullest point when bending over to 90 degrees, and 34 above. Have I got that right? If so I am truly truly in shock that my almost-not-there boobs are a D!!

Thanks

Thanks to these bra threads I've gone from wearing the 36C that M&S measured me as, to a 32DD that actually fits.

Oh I am glad leelteloo (and akiss!)

It can be a challenge finding the right bra - especially when you know what a good one should look like! It's quite a revelation though.

glamstretchmarks Sun 19-May-13 21:31:32

Marriednotdead is the poster you are after. Can you give us an indication of the size you think you need, roughly, so we can suggest bras? What do you measure?

Hi, thanks. I measure at a 30C but to get cups wide enough apart (well nearly) I am wearing a 34AA but the for is terrible in every single way... like BreakOut, I have wide set boobs, VERY wide set...

glamstretchmarks Sun 19-May-13 21:32:05

the **fit not for

glamstretchmarks Sun 19-May-13 21:39:26

Hmm, actually I have just taken my measurements and measure

under-29.5
loose - 33 and
above chest -33 also blush ... I have broad shoulders which is why I have the whole wide set boobs issue.

littlestressy Sun 19-May-13 21:39:39

Wow. I don't know what a bra intervention is but wanted to share my bra 'lightbulb' moment....
I was wearing a 34B for years and years, I have very small boobs. Went to John Lewis, got measured and she pronounced I was a 36DD. I thought absolutley no way but yes, the bra fits, it feels great and makes my whole top half look better (think no waist to suddenly having a waist).
What is bra intervention?

Littlestressy - a lot of companies are putting women in bras which plain don't fit. The biggest issue is using an old fashioned fitting method where they add 4 or 5 " to your underbust measurement to get your band size. This results in a bra which is too big in the back and too small in the cup. Most ladies don't realise it's wrong because they have been fitted in stores which are big names and make themselves out to be experts.

Have a look at the information on the blog thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/p/fitting-advice.html just to make sure your new bra is right. John Lewis are one of the better places but not infallible and it is a little unusual to hear of people going up in the back when properly fitted.

nobodysfool Sun 19-May-13 21:45:10

Evening ladies.
After reading how to measure I'm a bit worried I have misunderstood.Around my body measures 33" (snug) and the 90 degree bust measurement is 43" (without squishing my boobs). So am I right in thinking I need a 32 if I round down and a GG cup size?????? I have done it wrong havent I?

Nobodysfool you're roughly right. I would suggest trying a few sizes because you are in between. Start with a 32GG, 32H, 34GG and 34G. Have a look at the info on the blog link above which explains how to test whether the bra fits or not.

littlestressy Sun 19-May-13 21:48:04

Ok thanks, whenever I went into M&S they would put me in a B cup so I was very surprised to get a DD! But the lady explained that my boobs (although they look small 'out front' IYSWIM) go quite a way across my body. Bra feels good, but I will definately check

Stats- no, I haven't tried those, we don't have a Bravissimo nearby, so it would mean spending ££ online, when theres a good chance the DD will be too big. But if the cups are small fitting it might be OK. There's barely anywhere that does that style, which is the style that fits and is comfiest, in a C cup!

glamstretchmarks Sun 19-May-13 21:51:14

statisticallychallenged - am I right at thinking I should be in 30C?

The Panache ones largely start at a D so they may be worth a try too. I'm afraid my knowledge of ranges which start below a D is a little limited as I've had G+ boobs for about a decade!

Littlestressy - what size did M&S put you in (back size?) We're becoming quite adept at calculating true bra size based on M&S duff sizing!

Roughly glamstretchmarks - possibly a 30D. However - you mentioned being quite broad - would you say you have quite a skinny torso (i.e. not much padding?)

If this is the case you might need a 32 back instead (and to go down a cup)

littlestressy Sun 19-May-13 21:55:59

ooooh just done that, I measure almost 33inches under and 38 when bent over so I should try a 34DD? Or a 32DD? But also try 34D and 32DD?
One question, when you wear an underwired bra should you get any kind of 'digging in' from the underwire (like in your armpit area?) also, back fat spilling over the top, is this just normal cos I need to loose some weight?

littlestressy Sun 19-May-13 21:57:16

sorry statistically just saw your post, M&S used to put me in back size 32 or 34

nobodysfool Sun 19-May-13 22:01:16

Thanks StatisticallyChallenged have just read all that info so feel well armed now.I seem to have problem with the central gore sitting flat and sometime the wire comes up too high near my armpit and rubs- was told its beacuse I have a very full and wide bust.

larlemucker Sun 19-May-13 22:02:48

Shamelessly marking so I can come back tomorrow with my measurements!!

glamstretchmarks Sun 19-May-13 22:02:59

I think it is fair to say I have NO padding SC grin Yeah I am very skinny so a 32B/C?

I bought a 32B for a sports bra cos it obviously needed to be tighter than the 34 I have been wearing. I can pull the whole 34 band really far out which is a bit daft...

John Lewis have got it wrong I'm afraid. For once M&S were closer (on the back)

I would suggest you start with a 32E, 32DD, 34DD and 34D.

Back fat - that needs to be scooped in to the bra. If it can't be scooped in it's a sign the bra doesn't fit properly. I still get a little (not a skinny girl by any stretch!) but it is much much reduced. But scooping only works if the back of your bra is small enough otherwise it slides back out.

I know going down a back size sounds counterintuitive to solve backfat but have a look at this for proof!

Nobodysfool - gore not sitting flat is generally a sign the cup isnt big enough (although you do get the odd bra which will just never work)
You sound like a similar shape to me. I like Bravissimo bras (betsy bow, alana etc), some Freyas (Lyla, Eleanor) and some Ewa Michalaks.

Glam I would suggest trying the 30 and 32s - it is a little more trial and error at slightly smaller cups to get them positioned properly but on the plus side you should have quite a good selection available.

glamstretchmarks Sun 19-May-13 22:10:13

I have tried a few 30s before but they cups are practically in the middle of my chest and half my boobs either side!! I will try to search for wide sit boobs but i am think i may need to start adding fabric to the middle of the bra...

littlestressy Sun 19-May-13 22:10:34

oh no!!! I thought I'd found a good one for once, so all that armpit fat should be in the bra?

GibberTheMonkey Sun 19-May-13 22:10:35

Belated thanks smile

nobodysfool Sun 19-May-13 22:15:01

thanks you so much StatisticallyChallenged im off to browse online.

This thread is not accepting new messages.