Fitflops. I've always thought they were a £ marketing gimmick am I wrong.

(46 Posts)
pocketandsweet Mon 06-May-13 07:55:05

I pretty much only wear comfortable footwear (former plantar fasciatis ). I have always worn Birkenstocks but based on some of previous threads am wondering if I should reconsider my earlier opinion of Fitflops? Can anyone with similar foot issues please give me their first hand opinion if they have had both shoes? I'm not fond of toe strap things ( they always seem to rub except for my Havaianas ) which is why I originally discounted them. That and the fact that I figured all their initial marketing about "calf toning" as bullocks BUT If they really are THAT comfortable I might need a re-think.

francesdrake Tue 07-May-13 15:18:03

I'm wearing my bronze sequin pair now. They actually make my ginormous feet look smaller. The only drawback is that they're too satisfying for puppies to chew <eyes puncture marks in the sole sadly>

iMe Tue 07-May-13 15:03:46

Big fitflop fan here. First dwy back in mine today after the long winter. smile smile I'm on my second pair. first pair lasted 3 years. Hip and back problems here. I've converted friends too. Well worth the price.

I love my fitflops, so so comfy. I have ugly trotters.

I did get a blister the first week or so wearing them, then none since, even when I have had a 6m break from them (mine are 2 or 3 years old now)

pocketandsweet Tue 07-May-13 12:41:46

F.p. should be p.f. ( plantar fasciatis ).

pocketandsweet Tue 07-May-13 12:39:35

Well I now have a pair. I took it as a sign from god smile that TK Maxx had one pair in my size. They are a sort of terracotta coloured leather slide style. Not the most beautiful things I have ever owned but I don't think too offensive. They feel very comfy and I HOPE are going to help with e f.p. £24.99 if anyone is interested

Startail Mon 06-May-13 23:38:45

Good grief fitflops are expensive and the non toe post ones are pretty ugly.

Looks like it's this sort again

Ginformation Mon 06-May-13 23:08:22

Lizzy they do styles with adjustable straps- eg these sandals and these

I find my FitFlop size is down one from other shoes I have bought in the past- I think I have had to buy 1 size too big to accomodate my wide feet, but then my arches are not high.

LizzyDay Mon 06-May-13 22:54:58

Antoinette - I found the same - they are high-cut so no good if you have a high instep. A shame as I love a chunky flip flop.

They don't seem to have any styles with adjustable or stretchy straps either.

I've tried them but found the sizing weird-I have high arches and am a size 5 but they rubbed so badly on top of my foot I couldn't wear them. I ended up giving them to my mum, who is a size 4, and who they fit perfectly.

oldsilver Honduras Mon 06-May-13 22:33:39

I wear Fitflops and am an exPlantar Fasciitis sufferer smile I wear the toe posts and since the very first time of wearing there wasn't any rubbing. My podiatrist said NOT to wear MBTs as they do your feet no good whatsoever and can, in fact, damage the ligament further.

If you are stuck for cash - surprisingly Asda do a couple of versions which are very very similar and only £12.

I wear them all the time and can walk miles in them, except for work as the children would so stamp on my toes smile

Ginformation Mon 06-May-13 22:32:52

FitFLops are fabulous- all I wear since I had spinal surgery. I have the ballerinas for work, the mukluk boots for winter and various sandals (with and without toe posts and sparkles) for summer. I buy them in the end of season sale but still, I will never tell dh how much they actually cost blush It is my one indulgence in life. And they are medically necessary. Fact. grin

thenightsky Mon 06-May-13 22:25:54

I've got a pair of fit-flops without the toe post. They are lovely and comfy.

Snowgirl1 Mon 06-May-13 22:24:16

Fitflops are super-comfortable. I usually get blisters when I wear sandals with toe-posts, but haven't had blisters with two pairs of fit-flops that I've been through.

Also, I've just seen some on sale in Sole Traders - think they were last seasons.

YouHaveBeenOutbid Mon 06-May-13 21:48:05

I've got flat feet/fallen arches and I wear fitflops. They're so comfy! I'm eyeing up a spangly navy pair on eBay at the mo that don't have toe posts. They're the only sandals I can walk miles in.

ExRatty Mon 06-May-13 20:49:43

I have some fitflops and they are stupidly good. Not the flip flop ones though. <There is something about them that I find distasteful?>
They are brilliant for bad backs and knees and all manner of bunions and foot ailments.

cocolepew United States Mon 06-May-13 20:45:16

Thanks Best smile

QOD Mon 06-May-13 20:44:48

Perhaps don't buy the sequinned ones as they've rubbed my toes

hermioneweasley Mon 06-May-13 20:43:36

I used to live in Birkies as well, but got fit flops last year and LOVE them! I was so happy that it was warm today and I got them out for first time thus year.

BestIsWest Mon 06-May-13 20:42:55

coco my mum swears by them for her back.

BestIsWest Mon 06-May-13 20:42:28

I have the trainers and boots and they are brilliant. I have lots of leg/foot/ankle problems and they are brilliant for sightseeing, long walks etc. I have the toepost style as well and they are comfy but I can't stand anything between my toes so may go for something else this summer.

cocolepew United States Mon 06-May-13 20:38:23

Are they any good for a bad back?

bulletproofgerbil Mon 06-May-13 20:35:44

I have loads of foot problems and find FFs really comfy. I can't do any toeposts whatsoever though so I go for their 'slide' ones. Totally agree they do absolutely nothing in terms of firming or toning anything but along with MBTS (which look pretty hideous and are ££££££), they're the only things that don't hurt and that I can walk for ages in.
I bought Sketchers version of MBTs as they were cheaper but they really hurt the top of my feet and I ended up with shin splints after going for a long/fast walk in them for the first time, so won't be getting those again.

Fairylea Mon 06-May-13 19:24:24

If you have an "original factory shop" near you they had some in there recently but their stock changes all the time.

doglover Mon 06-May-13 18:51:59

I wear fitflops all year - shoes / boots / sandals - dependent on the season! As a chronic P.F. sufferer, they have honestly transformed my mobility.

DeafLeopard Mon 06-May-13 11:55:48

I bought Matalan's version last summer as an emergency purchase when we were away and I realised I'd left my fitflops at home - I would say they are nearly as good. Not to mention cheap as chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now