Beautiful legs

(23 Posts)
lougle Sun 05-May-13 09:20:10

My legs have been neglected forever over the winter period. They are dry, quite bumpy and hairy. I am pale, so it really shows.

I know that underneath that, there is a lovely pair of legs. they are long and slim (although not toned).

Would you exfoliate and moisturise for a while, then wax? Or wax, then exfoliate and moisturise?

Or is there something specific I need to do to get rid of the bumps?

lougle Sun 05-May-13 10:51:47

Have I scared you all off with images of spiders? grin

peggotty Sun 05-May-13 10:57:19

I had this exact problem! I have been exfoliating every second day with those glove things (pound shop, don't bother with fancy ones) and moisturising daily with E45 lotion. There has been a big difference - legs are noticeably smoother and the pimply effect on my calves is almost gone. I'm going to try the Flexitol heel balm stuff to try and get rid of the last of the bumps. It has taken a few weeks for it all to kick in but I feel like my legs look so much better and will be happy to bare them when/if weather permits.

TSSDNCOP Sun 05-May-13 10:58:43

grin

Hate waxing, so instead I use a Venus and DHs shaving foam.

Exfoliate knees and feet.

Use pumice on heels-you can have the best legs but cracked, yellow heels will get you every time.

Moisturise every day. I'm using Nivea body lotion ATM and its fab.

I have also discovered the Sally Hanson leg tan. AMAZING!! You need to get a mitt though as you can't just spray it on like it says on the tin. Better result than all fake tan previously used incl St Tropez and Fakebake. Instant results and no smell.

peggotty Sun 05-May-13 10:59:30

Oh and I've heard the Sally Hansen leg stuff (can't remember what it's called at mo) recommended on here as an alternative to fake tan so may give that a try. Apparently it evens out skin tone rather than colours which I think sounds better and probs more natural looking smile

peggotty Sun 05-May-13 10:59:55

Ooh cross post grin

My problem is red knees. I don't mind my milk bottle legs but would like my knees not to ruin the effect. That shimmery body lotion from BeneFit gets me so far but I wish it weren't such an uphill struggle!

Oh, I used that Sally Hansen stuff once - if you're pale stay away unless you're tanning all over, it's very orange!

lougle Sun 05-May-13 11:16:29

Well that all sounds do-able.

Sally Hansen leg stuff....mmm - is it fool proof, or is there a danger that I could be an advert for streaky bacon afterwards?

lougle Sun 05-May-13 11:17:11

cross posted with you, MermaidAvenue. I'm very pale. I'd go orange easily.

TSSDNCOP Sun 05-May-13 11:23:38

Mermaid I am fair skinned. I bought the Medium Glow. Initial spray and I looked like St Peter d'Andre, but the trusty mitt evened it out.

Lougle it's foolproof with a mitt and a softly, softly approach. You can always add. It dries in minutes too.

[considers job as Sally Hanson PR]

TSSDNCOP Sun 05-May-13 11:25:08

If you're worried, do the tops of your legs first to get your technique down.

lougle Sun 05-May-13 12:56:39

Oh, I couldn't cope with being Peter Andre for even a second. I'd have to go very carefully indeed grin

lougle Sun 05-May-13 12:57:57

I did a bit of mumsnet searching for reviews of the sally hansen stuff, and it appears many people think it is a faff to apply. Is this true?

I am very pale too, my legs are a bit thin at the bottom and chicken-like, so the pastyness enhances this and depresses me a bit. But we don't get a lot of opportunity to flash our pins here in the uk do we? I fuss every year but only wind up baring them for a grand total of 5 days out of 365.

I use the lightest shade of Dove Summer Glow, which is the best I've found so far, but there are still occasional patches, and each application is never quite like the one before, if that makes sense. So it is always pot luck if I get it just right.

Any advice about tights or stockings?
I've been wondering about matte stay ups by Falke, but can't figure out if they are natural looking enough. I am scared of the prosthetic look - not that there's anything wrong with prosthetics, but I don't want to look like my lower half was stolen from a mannequin.

chocaholic73 Sun 05-May-13 16:57:02

came on here for advice about white pasty legs now that summer is (hopefully) coming... so interested to read this. Had a bad experience last year with Dove Summer Glow ... made me look like I hadn't washed. Is there anything that is "idiot proof" or some really good tights etc ... very sheer .. although I'm not sure I would cope with those on a really hot day (which probably won't happen!)........ (sits back and watches for more expert advice ....)

letseatgrandma Sun 05-May-13 17:16:51

Long bath and exfoliate. Shave legs, lots of moisturiser. Sort out feet with nail trim, tidy cuticles (as they'll be soft from the bath), file hard skin from heels and coat feet in flexitol. Next day, use fake tan twice-once in morning, once in evening. Paint lovely tidy nails a funky colour.

Sorted!

lougle Sun 05-May-13 18:46:33

No bath!

Long shower ok? grin

letseatgrandma Sun 05-May-13 18:51:11

No, it'll never work if that's the case. Your legs are doomed forever ;)

lougle Sun 05-May-13 21:11:28

Thought as much sad I'll have to do my best and my legs shall have to accept a life of mediocrity.

letseatgrandma Sun 05-May-13 21:24:11

You could always walk around in a sack? Maybe one of the coloured ones with handles that they use on KS2 sports days?

sarahseashell Sun 05-May-13 21:25:25

ooh I wish I had beautiful legs underneath and not fat knees and cankles grin

ginmakesitallok Sun 05-May-13 21:31:53

Flexitol hydrate is fabulous for legs. I had really horrible dry legs, bought some glycol after reading about it on here and am a convert to the stuff. Dp has even commented on my smooth calves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now