I actually don't think there's 'Too Old' just theirs trashy and not trashy.

(18 Posts)

Trashy as in showing all your bits off. Rihanna video-esque.

dexter73 Sun 05-May-13 08:56:43

I agree with MrsCB about some things being best left to young people, but I also think there are versions of the same thing that can be worn at different ages e.g. mini skirts - when you are young you can wear them very short and with bare legs but as you get older they start getting a bit longer and maybe only worn with tights depending on how brave you are.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 05-May-13 07:18:14

Oh I started one of the dreaded 'am I too old threads' this week.

Generally I wear what I want but I do actually think there are some things that are best left to younger people because I don't want to look too try-hard.

Not sure what you mean by trashy though.

Ethel Austin grin

Just googled Toms they're lovely. I like the crochet ones.

Sh1ney Sun 05-May-13 00:46:26

Yes a little like them but I prefer the look of the Toms I think. The grey is very nice as is the red.

Sh1ney Sun 05-May-13 00:45:15

I mainly wear Top Shop, super dry < but not the hoodies! >, Zara, H & M... I'm often in a short skirt < but always with dark opaques, I dont scare folk in the street with bare legs or anything > and my 14 year old daughter is always after my clothes. I absolutely don't care that I probably should be shopping in Ethel Austin or something.

Are Toms a bit like Flossies?

41 is a mere child.

Sh1ney Sun 05-May-13 00:42:52

Oh well yes I agree with you in that case.

Especially as today I wore a black Superdry dress with grey Toms shoes.

I'm 41.

Haha just noticed the there's and their's. I have PMS and my brain goes to blancmange. Sorry to have shocked you Trill wink Did you used to have an S at the end of your name?

Sh1ney my point is there are so many posts where the OP worries about dressing too young. I really think the line is blurred on this. If it looks good and you can carry it off who give a fuck?

Anyway I just thought I'd mention it. Am not bothered if people disagree as I know they will.

I go to a dance and some of the mature women there wear what could be termed younger styles, but they look great. Plus a lot of my friends are over 40 and wear what they want. Some would say they may dress too young but they wear it with confidence and look great imo.

Of course we all get it wrong at times.

knitknack Sat 04-May-13 19:15:16

Sorry, cross posted with Trills, who is much more helpful!

knitknack Sat 04-May-13 19:14:34

Homophones!

Trill Sat 04-May-13 19:14:21

I am just shocked at your ability to say "there is" in two different ways within the same sentence.

There's = there is

Theirs = belonging to them

I agree to an extent. In many cases clothes that MNers say "you can only wear if you are 17" are either:
a - suitable for any age if the style suits the person
or
b - horrible for all ages

Frenchfemme Sat 04-May-13 19:14:02

Juniper Respect to your mother!

scripsi Sat 04-May-13 19:10:32

I think I know what you mean. Sometimes I avoid s&b because I can't face all the "am I too old to wear ..." obsession.

ellesabe Sat 04-May-13 18:51:03

biscuit

Agreed.
The obsession with 'mutton' alarms me.

Sh1ney Sat 04-May-13 14:41:15

I'm not sure what your exact point is so don't know if I disagree with you

As in if you're youthful and confident you can get away with decent clothes that are in fashion. I'm not talking mutton but clothes aimed at younger people.

But any age looks awful in trashy clothes. They're best saved for music videos or stage wear imo. Are rarely a good look.

My mum's in her 80s and wouldn't dream of wearing twinset and pearls. She likes Next. Wears jeans and wouldn't be seen dead in those trousers wink She looks great. Mind you she does have a fantastic figure. Her norks are still up there! shock They defy gravity and she's never had any work done.

I know a lot will disagree with me. But I know I'm right grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now