Looking for advice from late 30s Mumsnetters!

(24 Posts)
georgie22 Sat 04-May-13 09:53:30

Have become aware through friends and on Facebook that other women of my age (approaching 40) have fairly regular maintenance with regard to their hair, nails, eyelashes, eyebrows etc. I'm starting to think that perhaps this is something I should consider as a more regular thing in my beauty regime. I'm fairly good at caring for my skin and am lucky to have low maintenance good condition hair with little grey. I'm not kidding myself that my grey is going to increase over the next few years, and will then get my hair coloured at the salon
Just wanted to try to get an idea of what things other Mumsnetters of a similar age have attended to on a regular basis?

AliceWChild Sat 04-May-13 09:55:02

I have my hair cut every now and then. And I have some nail clippers. That's it. grin

I'm 34. I have regular haircuts but no colour (no grey yet). I get my nails done every 2 weeks. Eyebrows dyed and waxed every 4 weeks. Teeth whitened every 6 months or so. Some kind of facial or dermabrasion about every 3-6 months.

I get false lashes if its for a holiday or special occasion.

I'll definitely be looking at Botox at some point in the future but hopefully not for another 10 years grin

Arisbottle Sat 04-May-13 10:09:24

Since my mud thirties I have done the following:

Eye brows threaded every three weeks
Manicure every two weeks
Pedicure every four weeks during spring and summer
Facial every month
Hair done every six months
Massage every two weeks

Arisbottle Sat 04-May-13 10:09:45

Mid thirties

ItsintheBag Sat 04-May-13 10:19:25

I am 36.
I get my hair done every three months (its long so all it needs)
I have invested in a better suited moisturiser and cleanser (thanks to S/B ) and its transformed my skin.
I get my eyebrows waxed and my eye lashes tinted and I am blonde.

catslave Sat 04-May-13 10:27:38

I have my brows HD'd every 8 weeks - makes a massive difference to my face. I also try and remember to cover the thread veins next to my nose with concealer (may get them lasered soon) daily and also to apply eyeliner daily. I am 39. Have dabbled with Dr Jart+ tinted moisturiser but am yet to perfect the art of perfect looking skin vs going overboard and looking like a Roman death mask...

Marthanoooo Sat 04-May-13 13:04:23

Haircut every few months, and clippers here too. i don't really do treatments, rather invest my cash in make up (for the last year armani foundation, primer, highlighter, the works). Will start colouring hair in a couple of years when grey gets more (can see odd grey hairs now), so far the few greys don't bother me. Probably would home dye though. Eyebrows are just a good shape permanently from years of training them into a good shape ;-) am 38.

DuchessFanny Sat 04-May-13 15:46:30

I'm 38 and i have a massage and facial every month. Hair cut and dyed every 6 weeks.

I do my own hair removal and nails, but all the time, feel odd if it's not done !

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sat 04-May-13 15:50:13

Well, I just gave myself a haircut grin (look on my profile)

I pluck my eyebrows and beard and moustache

I dye my hair cos I like it red

I slap on some moisuriser when I feel really dry

I rip my nails off as needed - they're weird and peel right off. I just need to tear across them.

I don't have anyone do anything to me and I don't use any fancy products.

Caladria Sat 04-May-13 15:53:29

36. Have been going to naice hairdresser's for a while now. Er, that's it.

I'm 39 and haven't altered much, but do apply cream to eyes and neck nowadays.

Everything else I was already doing previously.

Odd one, perhaps, but if it interests you, late 30's is a great time to start doing facial exercises. Keeps the muscles toned which will eventually begin to slacken. Can't hurt, and often has great results.

Notfootball Sat 04-May-13 20:09:43

I have my eyebrows threaded every 2-3 weeks, have my hair straightened and coloured/or extensions redone every 6-8 weeks. Do my own facials, still trying to sort out my post-pregnancy skin and have moisturisered my body forever. Would love to have a regular manicure done professionally, must work it into my budget.

Notfootball Sat 04-May-13 20:09:56

Oh, I am 40.

mewkins Sat 04-May-13 22:01:45

34 and only have my hair cut every 10 wks or so. Use semi permanent dye at home. Would rather spend my money on clothes and make up and time on more enjoyable pursuits.

32, i have my hair cut once a year, i do my own nails and pluck my own brows.

maintenance is too expensive to pay other people to do it!

37, haircut every eight weeks, never ever do anything about my eyebrows, remove chin pubes as soon as i feel them coming through and clipper my bush if i am going swimming , legs shaved same and if weather hots up to the point i might get them out. nails just left really. Dh still finds me acceptable to shag wink

peggotty Sat 04-May-13 22:34:42

I have just begun to discover the 'less is more' thing at 37. I use oils to cleanse and moisturise, and eye cream twice daily. I use minimal eye shadow, some liner and mascara. I used to wear lipstick but have discovered the tinted vaseline stuff in the little round tin - I love it. Have also just started to use primer and for the first time a cheek colour - the Benetint stuff. Hmmm this is not 'less is more' at all is it grin, but it does actually look it.

I also keep my eyebrows really neat and whip any stray moustache hairs out instantly. I feel like I look fairly natural and ok for my age.

Queenofknickers Sat 04-May-13 22:36:01

38 and really can't go on with my current sporadic (and v bad)home lady-jobs. Currently pluck eyebrows chin when bored, home colour hair when silver ones stick up out of parting shock and wax before holiday. Basically my report card would be a massive "could do better".

peggotty Sat 04-May-13 22:37:16

ooh and other thing I do now is exfoliate (face and body) regularly. I can't tell you the difference this has made in particular to my pimply, plucked chicken-esque calves. They look and feel really smooth - I use the E45 lotion.

Mandy21 Sat 04-May-13 22:38:17

Crikey. Have just turned 40. None of the above OP.

I'm lucky in that most people don''t think I look 40 maybe thats wishful thinking but I've never smoked, drank heavily, used heavy foundations etc so my skin is quite good. I've never had a skincare routine but I do moisturise.

Have hair cut and highlighted every 6 months or so. Don''t have nails done or anything else.

You don't have to do any of that to "take care of yourself". Don't want to be flamed but there is a point where you'd look like you're trying too hard.

Arisbottle Sun 05-May-13 09:48:58

Believe me I do not look as if I try to hard grin

QueenCadbury Sun 05-May-13 11:08:18

I haven't changed anything as approaching 40 but I have a hair trim every 8 weeks, eyebrow wax and eyelash tint whenever I can be bothered (I pluck in between), I file my nails regularly and paint them. I have a skincare routine but am a bit rubbish at keeping to it at night.

QuinnFabray Sun 05-May-13 12:15:36

I do quite a lot, but I do it all myself, apart from an 8 weekly hair cut. I pluck my eyebrows every day, good skincare routine, apply body moisturiser every day, maintain my nails and paint them every three days or so, wear make up every day, shave and clip unwanted hair every couple of days, dye my hair every few weeks, exercise regularly, try and eat well. It's all much less time consuming and less expensive if you do it all yourself. Just five minutes here and there for most of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now