Fake makeup brushes from china on ebay

(41 Posts)
ggirl Fri 03-May-13 22:26:48

sorely tempted to get a Bobbi Brown 18pc set
anyone tried them
I realise they won't be as good as the real thing but are they any good?

caledoniagirl Sat 28-Dec-13 13:49:58

I have a set of these brushes (24 pieces!). I just got them so can't vouch for longevity BUT they are good quality, in fact the hair is excellent quality. They are goat hair and, for the record, goats can be sheared so you should not presume there is animal cruelty involved and goat is a staple food of many countries anyway so if the meat is used the coat should be also. Also, Bobbi Brown do not make brush sets this big - except, I think, for their makeup artists to use, so I don't feel I am cheating the company of a sale. Yes, they're fake but only in name, not in quality. This company may manufacture for the big names anyway so who's to say they are not genuine apart from the trade name?

ggirl Sun 05-May-13 16:30:51

got a set of ecotools ones from tkmaxx, reduced from £20 to £6.99...bargain !!!

Foosyerdoos Sun 05-May-13 14:55:21

I bought make up brushes from the MUA website, the are really cheap (synthetic fibre) but they are soft and I am really pleased with them. They are just as good as more expensive ones I have bought.
You also get free delivery and they deliver really fast too.

kiwigirl42 Sun 05-May-13 14:35:11

I've bought 2 sets of ecotools brushes off ebay from shockhorror China and been really happy with them.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 05-May-13 12:35:00

Beware, there's as much fake crap on amazon marketplace as there is on eBay. I never buy from the marketplace.

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Sun 05-May-13 12:22:48

Just get Boots own instead, I reckon.

SunnyUpNorth Sun 05-May-13 12:18:28

I just bought a set of the Lydia brushes off eBay after reading about them on here. Think I got the wooden handle 12 piece set. Haven't tried them all but the ones I have used are really nice.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 04-May-13 18:38:13

I wish Urban Decay would bring back the Big Buddah brush. Tis great for bronzer

auldspinster Sat 04-May-13 17:16:21

I would second the Lydia brush recommendation, the foundation brush is particularly good.

Newby Hands did a 100 best products feature and reccomended Revlon bushes.

MrsMeow Sat 04-May-13 12:23:19

Lydia brushes on eBay are fab and v cheap. My make up artist friend swears by them.

ggirl Sat 04-May-13 11:35:03

thanks notconnie , i've bought from crown brushes before , will have a look again

NotConnie Sat 04-May-13 11:26:48

I've got some genuine BB brushes that I bought in NYC when BB was first launched, circa 1995 ish. They've been a great investment, still going strong. I've also got a couple by NARS, and Laura Mercier.
However, I also recommend Crown Brushfor great prices and quality. They make brushes for professionals. The website can be a challenge to navigate, easier if you know what you want, eg if you know you want sable ones etc, but the prices are great. IIRC because it's aimed at trade, the price shown on the website is before VAT, so you need to add 20% when you're looking at the price of each brush/set. It does the calculation at checkout though. www.crownbrush.co.uk

ggirl Sat 04-May-13 11:09:49

I've bought loads of stuff from ebay and never been disappointed

Bertrude Sat 04-May-13 11:02:50

Aside from the ethical and moral issues with china and fakes, I have issues with buying any form of beauty product from eBay. My sister got some brushes which disintegrated almost immediately and cost her not much less than my mac ones I got from the duty free at the airport.

I also got some Clinique make up remover when mine ran out, thought it a bargain because it was half the price and claimed it was genuine. It stripped everything including a couple of layers of skin off my nose. Just not worth it in my opinion

Ponderosa Sat 04-May-13 10:47:33

Have you looked at the Eco Tools ones? They sell them in Boots and are included in the 3 for 2 make up offer when it's on. They are really good quality for the price.

ggirl Sat 04-May-13 10:12:19

but bet all the cheap brushes are made in china ..isn't everything

ggirl Sat 04-May-13 10:07:34

okaaaaaaaaaaaay..not going to buy them
god you lot are no fun wink

Just fancied a massive set
urge has gone now
spoilsports

JennySense Sat 04-May-13 09:47:55

I got a set from lilylolo last year for about £40 which have been fine x

FrugalFashionista Sat 04-May-13 08:08:48

I love good brushes but anything over 10 is definitely overkill and will just add clutter. In fact 4-5 are perfect for me (two for eyes, one for brows, one for cheeks and one for powder). Junky brushes are no fun, so buy something that others have recommended, not something just because it's a bargain.

Iwantmybed Sat 04-May-13 07:59:50

I received a great set last Xmas from Costco. I'm not sure how much it was but I'd guess about £20 for about 8 brushes.

knitknack Sat 04-May-13 07:52:49

Get the real techniques brushes from amazon! Someone stop her before she buys anything else :D

Seriously, do a google search for the real techniques brushes, you'll find loads of beauty bloggers raving about them!

pepperminty Sat 04-May-13 07:33:00

(Whoops, needed to convert the links)

Amazon have some really good value ones that loads of people have reviewed so you know if they are good

For example, I've gotten these and they work well (with my previous brushes coming from Laura Mercier and MAC)

Foundation brush:
amazon.co.uk/dp/B001KWD6O4

Eye shadow brush:
amazon.co.uk/dp/B004TSFB1M

KnockMeDown Sat 04-May-13 07:32:52

I am probably being a complete dunce here, but why do you need 18 make-up brushes? What do you use them all for? Could you not just buy 1 or 2 better quality ones?

pepperminty Sat 04-May-13 07:31:09

Amazon have some really good value ones that loads of people have reviewed so you know if they are good

For example, I've gotten these and they work well (with my previous brushes coming from Laura Mercier and MAC)

Foundation brush:
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B001KWD6O4

Eye shadow brush:
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B004TSFB1M

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now