Fake makeup brushes from china on ebay

(43 Posts)
ggirl Fri 03-May-13 22:26:48

sorely tempted to get a Bobbi Brown 18pc set
anyone tried them
I realise they won't be as good as the real thing but are they any good?

PoppyWearer Fri 03-May-13 22:29:51

Real Bobbi Brown brushes (I have a set) are amazing. Several years ago I had more money than sense and bought some. And they've lasted...five or six years and counting, and going very strong.

How much are they? Can't you get some genuine Shu Uemera or similar?

(Disclaimer: I have no idea how much anything like this coats these days.)

ggirl Fri 03-May-13 22:34:41

Well don't want to spend a fortune on brushes , have a few genuine good ones just wondered what the fake ones are like.

ggirl Fri 03-May-13 22:35:47

fake 18pc set just sold on ebay for £12

god they really must be shit

If you want cheap brushes then just buy some cheap brushes. They don't need to be fake Bobbi Brown, do they?

PoppyWearer Fri 03-May-13 23:15:30

Coats = costs.

For that price they'll be awful. Please don't do it.

SavoyCabbage Fri 03-May-13 23:30:14

Squalor is right, just buy some cheap brushes. At least you will know what you are getting.

Where I live, there are dodgy goods from china everywhere so I could go to a market and look at the BB make up brushes on one stall and then look at the ones on the next one and they would be different. We are always being warned not to buy fake make up as some contains lead.

I have some no.7 brushes, as well as mac ones, and the no.7 ones are fine for 'cheaper' brushes. Use one of those £5 vouchers for no7 to get them even cheaper?

Oddsocksrus Fri 03-May-13 23:36:22

I got the mac set for about £10, one has come apart ( no glue between handle and the metal bit that holds the bristles but a dab of superglue solved that) but actually out of 18brushes I think they are good value
I've got a couple of good quality brushes and to be honest I can't tell the difference
Go for it, mine were fine

ggirl Fri 03-May-13 23:56:54

oooh oddsocks ..someone who has a set!
For a tenner I can put up with wobbly handle,
still couldn't get as many brushes if I bought cheap ones from superdrug

QueenCadbury Sat 04-May-13 07:16:00

Body shop brushes are good.

Is it legal to buy counterfeit goods?

Is it true that if you buy them you are funding human trafficking and terrorism?

Shesparkles Sat 04-May-13 07:21:14

I'd second Body Shop brushes, I've had some of mine for years. EyesLipsFace brushes are really good too, huge choice and the last ons I bought were something ridiculous like £1.50 each.
I'd steer well clear of fakes no matter what brand they're supposed to be

Sunshinewithshowers Sat 04-May-13 07:23:20

Lord knows what poor animal the 'hair' is from sad

RooneyMara Sat 04-May-13 07:25:03

they will be shit. don't buy anything branded from china, it'll be fake.

I did this with an ergo not so long ago - didn't check the website and it was totally fake.

Bank got the money back, I got threatening emails from the company for a while.

It must be awful living in China and I think probably many people have no option but to work at producing this crap, but seriously don't buy it, you'll be supporting something extremely unethical and you'll have a rubbish product to boot.

IllegalYoniFarm Sat 04-May-13 07:27:49

Another vote for body shop, they are lovely brushes, i love stroking my face with the big blusher brush!

pepperminty Sat 04-May-13 07:31:09

Amazon have some really good value ones that loads of people have reviewed so you know if they are good

For example, I've gotten these and they work well (with my previous brushes coming from Laura Mercier and MAC)

Foundation brush:
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B001KWD6O4

Eye shadow brush:
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B004TSFB1M

KnockMeDown Sat 04-May-13 07:32:52

I am probably being a complete dunce here, but why do you need 18 make-up brushes? What do you use them all for? Could you not just buy 1 or 2 better quality ones?

pepperminty Sat 04-May-13 07:33:00

(Whoops, needed to convert the links)

Amazon have some really good value ones that loads of people have reviewed so you know if they are good

For example, I've gotten these and they work well (with my previous brushes coming from Laura Mercier and MAC)

Foundation brush:
amazon.co.uk/dp/B001KWD6O4

Eye shadow brush:
amazon.co.uk/dp/B004TSFB1M

knitknack Sat 04-May-13 07:52:49

Get the real techniques brushes from amazon! Someone stop her before she buys anything else :D

Seriously, do a google search for the real techniques brushes, you'll find loads of beauty bloggers raving about them!

Iwantmybed Sat 04-May-13 07:59:50

I received a great set last Xmas from Costco. I'm not sure how much it was but I'd guess about £20 for about 8 brushes.

FrugalFashionista Sat 04-May-13 08:08:48

I love good brushes but anything over 10 is definitely overkill and will just add clutter. In fact 4-5 are perfect for me (two for eyes, one for brows, one for cheeks and one for powder). Junky brushes are no fun, so buy something that others have recommended, not something just because it's a bargain.

JennySense Sat 04-May-13 09:47:55

I got a set from lilylolo last year for about £40 which have been fine x

ggirl Sat 04-May-13 10:07:34

okaaaaaaaaaaaay..not going to buy them
god you lot are no fun wink

Just fancied a massive set
urge has gone now
spoilsports

ggirl Sat 04-May-13 10:12:19

but bet all the cheap brushes are made in china ..isn't everything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now