Henley Steward's Enclosure - what do they mean by below the knee

(46 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Thu 02-May-13 10:54:38

DH and I have been invited to join some friends at Henley in the Stewards Enclosure. I have never been. My friend said the dress code was "below the knee dress or skirt" for ladies...how strict is this? Does on the knee count? I don't think I possess anything I would say is below the knee, none of the summer dresses I own are short but I would say they are more on the knee than below it IYKWIM.

MrsLettuce Fri 03-May-13 19:52:38

yy, the Pied dress, I love it too. The version with sleeves is to die for.

TSSDNCOP Fri 03-May-13 19:37:03

Tethers that Pied dress is gorgeous.

TSSDNCOP Fri 03-May-13 19:35:26

All the dress shops like Coast, Phase 8, Hobbs etc have longer line dresses this year to accommodate the change of rules at Ascot.

They don't look it on websites because the models are 5'11. Look at the arm to hem measurements for a better idea.

I bought this today which is knee length on me at 5'8" and a bargain for £95.

Don't reckon you'll see many Tory wives in it.

The Henley dress code has been in situ for donkies. Don't buy or accept tickets if you don't feel you can comply.

Eve Fri 03-May-13 19:21:56

Or quite so rude about those attending who actually made an effort to dress appropriately for the sport they are interested in or slogged their guts out for opportunity to compete there.

Bowlersarm Fri 03-May-13 18:15:43

Most people wouldn't be so ungracious about it though.

Nehru Fri 03-May-13 16:59:17

Wasn't a friend really.
You can still not like something a mate gives you. That's obvious.

Nehru Fri 03-May-13 16:58:50

Didn't stay long. 3/4 day

Bowlersarm Fri 03-May-13 15:30:34

Christ almighty Nehru what an ungrateful 'friend' you are.

tethersend Fri 03-May-13 15:27:45
mirai Fri 03-May-13 14:48:27

No one forced you to stay, Nehru...

Eve Fri 03-May-13 14:17:14

the striped blazers are club blazers, if you compete or have competed in a team for that club, then the formal wear is the appropriate colour blazer.

They are correctly dressed.

No different from football fan wearing football shirts....

Nehru Fri 03-May-13 11:21:52

We went as guests into the "stewards ". It's some grass with tents and overpriced drinks.

Nehru Fri 03-May-13 11:21:09

Think it might have been the grown men in striped blazers an pink trousers.

Eve Fri 03-May-13 11:06:23

actually..

to be able to BUY tickets to go to stewards, you have to be a member, IN order to be a member you have to have a rowing background and go on a long waiting list.

When I was rowing and competing I knew quite a few who were members, were delighted to be so and went to Henley for the rowing and occasion. None of us were upper class twits , just ordinary people who loved their sport.

Go to the Thames in Henley any weekend of the year and see just how many 'ordinary' clubs are people there are training hard.

For ordinary club rowing its a big deal to compete at Henley

If you are not interest in rowing.... don't go to Henley.

Why is it in this country anyone who is interested in a sport other than football is classed as an upper class twit.

trixymalixy Fri 03-May-13 10:47:53

In fact asos have almost 500 midi dresses from all sorts of brands from French Connection to Jaeger.

this is lovely

Although are there any rules on shoulders being covered?

trixymalixy Fri 03-May-13 10:41:10

There are loads of midi dresses around at the moment. Shouldn't be too hard to find something suitable. ASOS have loads of midi dresses.

MrsLettuce Fri 03-May-13 10:38:18

Here, here Bunbaker. Here, here.

Bunbaker Fri 03-May-13 10:25:45

FGS. What is it with mumsnet that maxi dresses are a no-no? I think they are very flattering.

Abra1d Fri 03-May-13 08:54:03

Oh God, not a maxi dress.

MrsLettuce Fri 03-May-13 08:09:15

this is very pretty maybe with something like this or this and this?

Bunbaker Fri 03-May-13 08:07:08

I went in 1977 and wore a calf length cheesecloth dress (yes I know) and a big straw hat. I looked a bit hippyish, but my clothes ticked the dress code boxes. We had a blast and got drunk on Pimms.

I am 5'7" and don't find it difficult to find longer dresses BTW.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 03-May-13 07:55:47

Logically flawed Yakare. Just because the OP fancies champagne in the sunshine doesn't mean she's not a dedicated follower of fashion.

But I agree that she needs to grit her teeth and get a Primark maxi dress. If the F1 paddock had a dress code of double denim and Crocs and I had an invite then that's what I'd be wearing.

Abra1d Fri 03-May-13 07:46:54

I went to the Stewards' Enclosure at Henley and I thought it was lovely. I am tall--5'8"--and the summer we went it was hard to find anything to cover my knees. I had a slightly stretchy fabric in my dress, which came from Hobbs, and just hoiked it down every time we went in and out to be sure it covered the knees. It may have ridden up a little bit as we walked around but nobody stopped me or said anything. They could probably tell that I was doing my utmost to keep the knees covered.

Henley is great. The rowing is really exciting. I loved it. Don't listen to people who tell you otherwise. I'd go again in a shot.

Yakare Fri 03-May-13 07:42:45

Yes I know that. But if you don't object to this type of thing (and the OP obviously doesn't or she wouldn't consider going) then you have to abide by the rules. And the rules say you have to look like a Tory wife. And of course most women there will be Tory wives. Not women who care about looking stylish. So bite the bullet, buy the mid calf dress and shut up, would be my advice. If you care about S&B, you won't be going to Henley.

hedgefund Fri 03-May-13 07:42:19

all the women should go in cheapo primark maxi dresses

any excuse to dress up and get pissed, it's just not laughed at as its the upper classes doing it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now