Sandal to wear with summer dresses suitable for lots of walking?

(136 Posts)
TessTheTeacher Thu 02-May-13 07:43:53

I am going on holiday and it is a city holiday, not a by-the-pool type of holiday. I have some lovely new summery dresses and would like a nice pair of sandals to go with them.

So far everything I have seen that fits the bill have been way to granny-esque. I want a open toe rather than a toe-post and they need to have a strap of some sort, I don't want a slip on because all they do is slip off! I'd need them to have a half decent sole, not just the basic flat, hard sole that lots of sandals have because I won't be able to do a full day of walking in those basic soles. I think either metallic or brown tan would go with my dresses best.

And, I can only spend about £30, £35 max sad Any suggestions?

If you like BIRKENSTOCKS then QVC (qvcuk.com) have a Todays Special Value of Betula sandles for £29.96 + £4.95 p&p.
They have a 30 Day Money Back Guarentee on everything.

I can't wear Birkies- too wide freakily narrow feet

Moredofbumsnet Fri 03-May-13 13:36:14

Rockport

or teva

Both have really comfy soles and (IMO) look quirky rather than frumpy with a dress.

Have a look at the Dune sale section too. Admittedly I usually only buy heels, but find their shoes are always comfortable for walking in.

metallic

[[http://www.dune.co.uk/joby-d-strappy-flatform-sandal-0079505060006083/ tan espadrille]

Sorry, now with working link tan espadrille

polyhymnia Fri 03-May-13 14:29:05

Of those last two the metallic are way too thin soled for serious city walking IMO. OK to go put in the evening a short distance but no more.

polyhymnia Fri 03-May-13 14:29:30

Out not put!

TessTheTeacher Fri 03-May-13 15:19:50

Moonlight Those metallic ones from Dune are lovely, they are just a little too much money. I'll keep looking, if all else fails I'll go for the ones I like in Next, think they were only approx £25.

TessTheTeacher Fri 03-May-13 15:24:35

Polly If I could find nice ones that would go with my outfits then I'd go for comfort, but otherwise I'll just put up with the pain.

I've done 7 nights in NYC in ballet flats before so I know I can manage without the comfort fine, I just would have preferred to have found some with an element of comfort.

You wouldn't catch me dead in a pretty summer dress an my Teva style camping sandals though. Hell hasn't frozen over yet grin

polyhymnia Fri 03-May-13 15:54:36

Ah well, you're obviously young!

Oops - sorry Tess, I thought they were marked to £35, not £45. Have you tried TK Maxx either?

polyhymnia - honestly, they shouldn't be, assuming they are up to Dune's usual standard, which is to pad under the ball of the foot.

tethersend Fri 03-May-13 16:10:56

Hmm, what size are you?

DD has these and oh Lordy, they seem comfortable. All springy and light. I'd get them if I didn't have feet like Sideshow Bob.

If you're a 5 or less, have a look at girls' sandals.

TessTheTeacher Fri 03-May-13 16:14:39

Poly I'm 33 so not that young, I certainly don't feel too spritely, but not old enough to have to be utterly sensible on the style vs. comfort debate yet.

MrsWolowitz Fri 03-May-13 16:30:11

I don't think it's an age thing.

I'm 29 and go for comfort over style when it comes to shoes. Always have.

I have horribly sensitive feet and thin soled shoes are just an absolute no- go for me.

That said I'm pretty fashionable (I think) and dress nicely. I just won't wear rubbish uncomfortable shoes. -- Finding heels that I find acceptably comfortable is no mean feat!--

Willowisp Fri 03-May-13 16:33:57
polyhymnia Fri 03-May-13 16:45:48

When thinking about all the bad shoe choices I've made in the past for city holidays with lots of walking, I'm not thinking so much of 'discomfort' being something mild and worth putting up with for more 'dainty' shoes - I'm thinking feet covered in vast blisters and rubbed raw in several places, so they've ended up absolutely covered in Compeed anyway - not an elegant look!

As said by lots on a recent thread, some people just seem to have particularly sensitive/ easily damaged feet!

But I don't actually wear Hotters - though do often wear for daytime both the 'smarter' Fitflop sandals and some (not the worst!) Clarks sandals. Ditto. Even then, I make sure they're properly 'broken in' before I set off.

Bunbaker Fri 03-May-13 16:50:49

I have a pair of sandals very similar to those Ecco sandals, but from Clarks. They are extremely comfortable and IMO don't look too frumpy.

Saw these in Jones today and thought of the OP. They're Hush Puppies so out to be comfy but look quite nice, I think.

DOh. Ought not out.

Just seen these hush puppies

Any good?

Great minds Blue! Sorry hadn't opened your link before posting

johnnycomelurky Sat 04-May-13 08:07:29

I bought a pair of these a few years ago and they are very comfortable and fairly attractive but Clarks' newer version isn't as nice IMO

TheConstantLurker Sat 04-May-13 08:18:33

I am a dedicated Birkie wearer but found some Ipanemas two years ago which were a revelation in attractive comfort. I pounded up and down on the school and nursery runs quite comfortably

mewkins Sat 04-May-13 08:39:56

life's too short to have painful feet. It would ruin a holiday for me. It's a family thing....my mum's enduring memory of a Rome city break is the blisters on her feet.

Anyway there were some lovely sandals in tk maxx the other day- some were ecco and looked very sleek but were comfy to wear. It's worth a rummage as they also had some unheard of brands which looked lovely.

forgetmenots Sat 04-May-13 09:05:28

I bought these from Clarks yesterday (in wide fit because of my pregnant swollen feet!!) very comfy so far.
http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20352938

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now