Sandal to wear with summer dresses suitable for lots of walking?

(136 Posts)
TessTheTeacher Thu 02-May-13 07:43:53

I am going on holiday and it is a city holiday, not a by-the-pool type of holiday. I have some lovely new summery dresses and would like a nice pair of sandals to go with them.

So far everything I have seen that fits the bill have been way to granny-esque. I want a open toe rather than a toe-post and they need to have a strap of some sort, I don't want a slip on because all they do is slip off! I'd need them to have a half decent sole, not just the basic flat, hard sole that lots of sandals have because I won't be able to do a full day of walking in those basic soles. I think either metallic or brown tan would go with my dresses best.

And, I can only spend about £30, £35 max sad Any suggestions?

noddyholder Thu 02-May-13 20:43:43

these are ok rest of site horrendous though! I have the dead flat clarks school type ones which look horrible until you put them on. All my mates were hmm when I got them a couple of years ago but now they all have a pair! They are so comfy and if you are stylish and have nice feet they do look stylish

nothruroad Thu 02-May-13 20:51:24

These are the comfiest sandals I've ever had. They come in loads of different colours too.

bella65 Thu 02-May-13 21:14:37

What about these from Clarks- and they do them in brown

www.clarks.co.uk/p/20356419

noddy Are Clarks selling your ones this year?

miffybun73 Thu 02-May-13 22:31:56

Definitely Birkenstocks (Madrid) So comfy it feels like you have bare feet smile I walk miles in mine.

Bunbaker Thu 02-May-13 22:41:58

The thing is I don't think the Footglove or Clarks ones are grannyish. I think they meet the comfort and style criteria quite well.

tethersend Thu 02-May-13 22:44:01

I've been mocked in the past, but these are fantastically comfy.

3MonthMaid Thu 02-May-13 22:53:27

Fly sandals are v v comfy. I have the "missy" style and they look great with dresses ... But not cheap!

Try eBay?

SwedishEdith Thu 02-May-13 23:34:05

Red or Dead and Camper shoes are incredibly comfortable

These are bang on budget and there is another pair with coloured flowers.

Or these?

TessTheTeacher Fri 03-May-13 07:53:11

Thanks all, I think I'll admit defeat and buy a pair I like that will kill my feet. blush

My mum is 63 and wears the M&S Footglove ones so I just can't bring myself to get them. I'll be vain and go for style over comfort. I will regret it later

Bunbaker Fri 03-May-13 07:56:53

It's up to you, and maybe I'm old, but for me comfort comes before style. I suffered yesterday for my vanity and have paid the price. Besides, I don't really notice what other people are wearing on their feet unless it is something exceptionally nice.

Why don't you take a pair of stylish shoes, and some comfy ones for the hard core sightseeing.

TessTheTeacher Fri 03-May-13 08:11:39

For me, style definitely still comes before comfort. I'll give myself a few years yet before I give in grin

My budget is £30 or £35 max so I don't think I could afford to buy two pairs of anything decent.

I have already got a hiking style pair similar to the Merrells and I have 2 pairs of Birkenstocks (which are a bit battered admittedly) but they aren't the style that will go with my lovely new dresses.

I'm sure I'll regret it though!!!

noddyholder Fri 03-May-13 08:11:51

Travel I think they are. They are in the vintage range called kestrel inthink I have the off white the vbpale pink are lovely. Nice with skinnies ad dresses etc

I think you're being daft OP. You'll ruin your holiday if you knacker your feet. Get a grip on yourself and buy something comfy from Clarks!

these are over budget but will be comfortable.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 03-May-13 08:35:27

I really fancy the Teva Kayenta for hardcore walking round town, but there are no stockists south of Keswick apparently and I hate buying shoes online sad <entitled Londoner emoticon>

bella65 Fri 03-May-13 08:39:00

You will regret it- sore feet are no fun.

Honestly, the Clarks styles are not that bad- some of them.

If your mum is 63, you must be quite young (?) and I suppose I am nearer your mum's age than yours- but I would not want to look grannyish! Having said that, some of the Clarks /Merrell styles seem ok IMO.

ZolaBuddleia Fri 03-May-13 09:10:51

I have some Crocs wedges that are really comfy and look nice. A different breed from the clog style. Here's their current range of non-wedge non-clog sandals: www.crocs.co.uk/womens-flip-flops-sandals/women-footwear-flipflopsSandals,en_GB,sc.html

Xiaoxiong Fri 03-May-13 09:19:22

I actually love the ones Breasticles linked to and am getting myself a pair toot sweet. I'm 29 and somewhat pregnant so no chance of being confused for a granny anytime soon I hope grin

Actually the people I know who dress the most grannyish are teenagers round here. Seriously - pleated knee length skirts, brogues, and I even saw a girl the other day in a twinset with a cardigan round her shoulders (she was wearing hotpants as well, but still, a twinset!!)

sparkle12mar08 Fri 03-May-13 10:05:35

LadyIsabella - I've tried most styles of Teva, and the Kayenta are true to size length ways but they are a rather slim/narrow fit. I have very wide feet and couldn't wear them, but I'm fine in Hurricanes, Terra Fis and Pretty Ruggeds.

Bunbaker Fri 03-May-13 10:17:22

"You will regret it- sore feet are no fun."

I'm inclined to agree. I got horrible blisters after walking around Vienna all day in ballet flats. I couldn't walk anywhere after that. It spoilt the rest of my visit.

polyhymnia Fri 03-May-13 10:24:58

I'm usually pretty anti-Clarks but I'm with those who think for your purposes one of their styles would definitely be best. Having done lots of city walking holidays, that sort of thick sole makes a huge difference in comfort.

Sandals with thinner soles might look a bit 'prettier' or 'delicate', but they really won't cope with pounding city streets all day and it just isn't worth the agony of aching/rubbed raw feet which spoil the holiday and your ability to walk a long way the next day.

FWIW, I did once repress my horror at their frumpiness and try Hotter sandals for a city holiday and they shredded my feet, so, for me, were not as good as Clarks (aesthetic considerations apart).

ExRatty Fri 03-May-13 10:42:07

gladiators look vile on most people's legs unless small of ankle and slim of leg

herbaceous Fri 03-May-13 10:46:09

Here I am once more leaping on to a 'comfy shoes' thread and shouting FITFLOPS.

I've got a pair a bit like this, but yellow and raffia, and they're mega comfy.

And I like to think that because they wear they comfort with pride, but without going as far as velcro, they're a bit cooler than the M&S style of trying to make a not very nice sandal comfy.

Ooooh tethersend I love those Office sandles (though the lattice effect would give a weird suntan on the feet) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now