Sandal to wear with summer dresses suitable for lots of walking?

(136 Posts)
TessTheTeacher Thu 02-May-13 07:43:53

I am going on holiday and it is a city holiday, not a by-the-pool type of holiday. I have some lovely new summery dresses and would like a nice pair of sandals to go with them.

So far everything I have seen that fits the bill have been way to granny-esque. I want a open toe rather than a toe-post and they need to have a strap of some sort, I don't want a slip on because all they do is slip off! I'd need them to have a half decent sole, not just the basic flat, hard sole that lots of sandals have because I won't be able to do a full day of walking in those basic soles. I think either metallic or brown tan would go with my dresses best.

And, I can only spend about £30, £35 max sad Any suggestions?

Kikithecat Thu 02-May-13 08:27:32

I am waiting for the answers on this one as I would also love to know. I have some which I think fit the bill but know from experience that MNers think they are fugly.

bella65 Thu 02-May-13 08:42:55

For that price range you might find something at Clarks or M&S.

I've just bought some nice sandals from J Lewis- their Collection range- open toes, flat, two straps across with buckles in a tan/nude colourway- but they were £65.

TessTheTeacher Thu 02-May-13 09:21:35

In Clarks and M&S stores I thought everything was a bit granny. I'll have a look online in case there is a range that they didn't have instore.

Spookey80 Thu 02-May-13 09:29:28

I got a lovely pair from white stuff that are beautiful soft tan leather and have padded sole. They were £20, but I had a 15% off code, so even cheaper. I haven't worn them yet, but they seem comfy.
I only got them last month, so shoud still be on website and in store.

Startail Thu 02-May-13 09:31:53

You are after the Holy Grail, which for some reason does not exist.

If it has nice thin strappy uppers with discreet buckles it has a paper thin sole.

If it has a decent thick sole it has Granny velcro straps, Why??

Every time I go to Mallorca I end up wallking miles along the seafront in the evenings, why can't I have comfy sandals that also look nice?

Amazon have sent me an email advertising comfy looking Fly sandals, but they are £60-70

Like the OP my budget is ~£35

Xiaoxiong Thu 02-May-13 09:34:33

spookey are they these ones? They're gorgeous.

member Thu 02-May-13 09:45:11

What about a low wedge?

BHS

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 02-May-13 09:58:22

I am not a style guru by any means, but I do live in a hot city and I wear either Birkenstock Gizehs (of which I have several pairs) or these Jones sandals that I bought last summer in the UK in two colours. They don't seem to stock them any more though. They look smarter on the foot than in the picture.

Anyway, these are the things I wear on my feet for everyday traipsing about in a dress in a tropical city. I do have smarter things for nights out.

Keep looking, OP.

OneHolyCow Thu 02-May-13 10:05:25

I go for birkenstocks too. The 3-strap over the heel ones do not come off easily, so they might be slip ons but don't slip off so much.
I live in them.

haggisaggis Thu 02-May-13 10:07:11

I like Merrell sandals - here - although mine are the ugly, walking type. But looks like they do some nice ones as well - but they are pricey.

auntpetunia Thu 02-May-13 10:23:32

Some of those Merrell one's are lovely Haggis . What about lotus someone linked to a lovely green pair …which I can't find as am on my phone they looked like they'd fit the bill. I have Birkenstock Kairo which are the toe post Gizahs with a back strap to stop them coming off.

bella65 Thu 02-May-13 10:25:53

What about Superga plimsolls- unless you have really skinny legs ( like me) then plimsolls with dresses can look quite chic IMO- see examples on The White Company website and there is a code for 20% off if you want it.

Gillybobs Thu 02-May-13 10:33:24

Im going to NYC and have bought these from Clarks (I got 20% off so not too pricey) www.clarks.co.uk/p/20354420 they are unbelievably comfy, I promise, extremely padded and soft inside.

Ive also bought leopard print superga and they are also really comfy and quite supportive (much more so than converse)

www.matchesfashion.com/product/153758?qxjkl=cn:UK+-+Product+Listing+Ads|cgn:Product+Listing+Ad|tsid:15858|crid:23762382057&gclid=CJuK5KyO97YCFWXJtAodNU0A_w

2madboys Thu 02-May-13 11:06:20

Although they have been mostly slated on here blush, I have these: www.clarks.co.uk/p/20343927 from Clarks in the Navy and also a bright pink which they don't seem to be doing this year. I have to be a bit careful about what I wear them with so they don't look too frumpy, but I think the patent just about helps me get away with them (have been complimented by very stylish people when wearing them). Possibly the comfiest shoes I've ever had. They're now on their third summer and still going strong - outside of your price range but so long-lasting possibly worth a look. I bought them with a 20% code which they seem to do sometimes.

FlowersBlown Thu 02-May-13 11:09:31

No such thing exists. All sandals are either nice but kill your feet or comfortable and ugly. I have the Merrells. They are fantastic but you can't be afraid of looking like a pensioner if you want to wear them. My 75 year old MiL has the exact same ones as me.

aoife24 Thu 02-May-13 11:26:04
Heavywheezing Thu 02-May-13 11:29:30

Fit flops

FlowersBlown Thu 02-May-13 11:30:31

I have some like the Topshop ones which are fine for light strolling or pottering, but for serious walking they are horrible. The soles are about as thick as a birthday card, usually rock hard with no give, and they offer no support whatsoever meaning that on top of aching feet you also get a bad back.

Xiaoxiong Thu 02-May-13 11:57:47
coffeeinbed Thu 02-May-13 12:04:34

I resort to Flipflops I'm afraid.

hugoagogo Thu 02-May-13 12:17:20

nicer in silver I wonder how comfy they really are though?

Nagoo Thu 02-May-13 12:23:04

placemarking.

Last year I got some from clarks, they aren't too bad but not perfect. Very very comfy though. Can't see anything like them on this years...

Xiaoxiong Thu 02-May-13 13:13:36

Ah you're right hugo, I just assumed they were nice foamy comfy soles. I suppose they could be stiff horrible platforms and give you terrible blisters instead.

These gladiators look like they have a more substantial sole and come in lots of colours, £35.

These are a tiny bit more expensive at £40 and also look like the sole might be a little bit better.

YoniOno Thu 02-May-13 14:01:32

These are gorgeous, comfy and only £20ish with the discount code.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now