NEW BRA THREAD HERE!

(1001 Posts)
Silverstar2 Wed 01-May-13 15:16:24

hello and welcome!

CalamityKate Sat 29-Jun-13 14:51:12

Help! Ever since my boob job I've been in a 36DD but I measured under my bust today and it was 34 and did the leaning over thing and the fullest part measured 42!!

Which makes me, well, massive doesnt it??

try a 34ff

LucyTheValiant Sat 29-Jun-13 15:01:33

Sorry if this has been posted before, there are so many messages I haven't read them all! But how tight should the tape measure be around our ribcage when measuring?

And how do we know if our boobs are wide set or whatever?

I'm currently wearing a 32A but the bras gape at the top and the underwire rides up at the front so there are always red lines on the breast tissue iyswim, rather than it sitting on the ribcage...

LucyTheValiant Sat 29-Jun-13 15:14:31

I've had a go at measuring and if I pull the tape as tight as it will go, my ribcage is 26. If I just measure it firmly, it's 27.

And round my boobs leaning forward the measurement is 33 but that's a fairly loose measurement.

What size does that make me? 27 something? That doesn't actually exist, does it? sad

SorrelForbes Sat 29-Jun-13 15:55:34

It sounds like you've measured properly (under bust tight and across bust loose) so let's work on the measurements 27" and 33".

You're between band sizes 26 and 28. You should try a 28DD and a 28E and ideally a 26F and a 26E. However, 26 bands are not readily available although they can be made to measure by a company called Ewa Michalak in Poland. There is another company who are now making 26 bands but I can't remember the name. Another bra geek might know.

If you can get the right cup in a 28 you could then adjust the back by removing some material (lots of info online about how to do this) or use a Rixie clip (eBay).

You can also upload your details to this website for the future gain of many small backed ladies!

LucyTheValiant Sat 29-Jun-13 16:49:18

Oh wow! Thank you. I will pop to Bravissimo tomorrow and see what they have. Will take a look at Rixie clips too just in case.

momofgirls Sat 29-Jun-13 20:09:12

Please could you check with these measurements if correct bra size being worn. I would also like to buy swimwear in the correct bra size.

Currently wearing 34F have slight asymmetry the right slightly larger. Breast tend to splay outwards and the gore sits close between cups.
Measurement around rib cage 33 inch over bust bending forward 46 inch. Worn Fantasie bras but other recommendations welcomed

Thanks

momofgirls with those sizes I would try 32jj, 32j, 34j and 34hh. There is some info on the blog-link up thread-about asymmetry too smile

ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh Sat 29-Jun-13 20:33:53

I have been reading this thread with much excitement, trying to get my confidence to post. My current bras just feel wrong (34d). I measure 30.5 under and 35.5 across. What do I need?
So great to read all these enlightening stories!

try 30dd/e

yoshimigalloway Sat 29-Jun-13 21:09:04

hello, I'm been reading this thread and the blog mentioned in amazement the last few days. I would like to ask for some advice please? I recently got fitted into a bra in debenhams which I was reasonably happy with until I read about scooping - I did this and the result is spillage and an unflattering four boob effect. this bra was a 36f , I actually thought I needed a 36 as my pre baby 34ffs were uncomfortable. I measured tonight and i'm coming up as a 35 round the under boob and 44 when leaning down. could this be right as it seems a lot of boob hanging down if you see? does this really give me a 34 h ??!

momofgirls Sat 29-Jun-13 21:09:53

Thanks for the reply Statisticallychallenged, felt that usual bra's were not holding boobs correctly. hope those sizes do the trick.

The 34FF could feel tight if the cup isn't big enough. If you turn them back to front how does the band feel?

momofgirls I'd recommend trying either Panache or Bravissimo branded bras from a support perspective unless you have mega soft boobs or a problem keeping your straps on your shoulders in which case Fantasie Belle is the answer.

Bravissimo Candy Bliss would be my current favourite fit wise without seeing you.

SorrelForbes Sun 30-Jun-13 07:46:23

Great blog post here about taking in lace at the top of cups to stop wrinkling.

SorrelForbes Sun 30-Jun-13 07:51:41

And another about how to shorten the band.

susiefen Sun 30-Jun-13 08:30:08

Help! I measured myself and came out at 31 under and 35 over, so was wearing a 32E, but I'm finding I'm spilling over the top and getting the quad-boob effect. I've just tried remeasuring bending forwards, and still a 31 around the ribs, but around a 39 for the rest! Does this explain why I'm getting overspill plus back fat? What size should I try? I find plunge doesn't work for me at all and prefer a balconette.
Thanks

SorrelForbes Sun 30-Jun-13 08:34:11

Yes it almost certainly means you need a bigger cup. How does the 32 band feel back to front? You may need a 30 in some brands/styles.

Try a 30G, 30FF, 32F, 32FF for starters.

SorrelForbes Sun 30-Jun-13 08:34:49

Sorry, there are lots of lovely balconettes out there. Do you want something plain? Pretty?

susiefen Sun 30-Jun-13 08:56:42

Hi, thanks for that, I'll give the 32F/Ff a try. I need a few smooth ones for work, but I would like some pretty ones too for going out. I find I struggle with lack of support sometimes, as I have depressingly saggy boobs, with no fill at the top, IFYKWIM. I find balconettes sort of push them up, which helps confused

SorrelForbes Sun 30-Jun-13 09:46:03

I like Fauve for pretty bras but Cleo and Bravissimo do some very nice ones too.

My everyday, work, bras are the Cleo Juna (pic attached), Panache Idina and an Ewa Michalak Biszkopty.

Bravissimo fitted me as a 36K in a Royce Sadie nursing bra. I'm not overly keen as the sides come right up into my armpit which looks weird to me but Royce was all they had in nursing. I asked them to do the same with an underwired bra so that I would know what a good fit felt like and they came up with a 36J Alana. It made my boobs look pointy but I'm not sure if that is because I've never worn underwired bras.

I plan on bf for at least another year but am thinking of getting a nice bra to get used to as I don't feed much during the day. Any suggestions? My measurements are 37 and 51. Not sure how to describe my boobs really.

Alana runs small in the cups, so you may find in a lot of other bras you would want to try a HH. It also is a bit pointy - not bad fit, just has a slightly retro shape I think.

I'd say Freya and Fantasie probably aren't going to cut it as their wires aren't really strong enough in the big sizes. Bravissimo own brand and panache probably better. Another option, and my favourite, is Ewa Michalak. You're in their standard size range for lots of bras - including their KMs which are wired feeding bras. I love the s and sm styles.

I've also got a 36J in the Sadie and that is definitely too small, I am sore at the end of the day when I take that off so are their cup sizes strange or is it a style issue being non wired?

I think I need Sorrel to take me shopping

yoshimigalloway Sun 30-Jun-13 14:58:20

sorry for my long post yesterday. after more reading and taking into account the double letter sizes I think I may need a 34g.

can anyone confirm that I am on the right track please? my measurements are 35 and 44. thank you.

This thread is not accepting new messages.