NEW BRA THREAD HERE!

(1001 Posts)
Silverstar2 Wed 01-May-13 15:16:24

hello and welcome!

The 38F would be two cup sizes smaller than your current bras so I suspect that it would be too small in the cup. A 38F is designed for someone who measure 45" over roughly

The back size won't feel too loose because of space in the cups - but it would feel too tight if the cups are too small. Also, if the back is too big then the cups can fall forward and gape even if they aren't actually too big.

I'd suggest trying a 38G (same cup size as now) and a 38FF to start and see how those feel. It's actually fairly common for your underbust measurement to shrink but overbust to stay the same (at least for a while) - this is what happens to me and it's a pest!

Lambzig
Freya and Fantasie are from the same maker and so sizing is very similar. Fantasie styling tends to give a bit more support/coverage so you may find some styles fit a little bigger.
Overall, both brands tend to run a cup bigger than most industry standards like Panache.

schilke Bosnia-Herzegovina Tue 18-Jun-13 11:50:22

Ok I measured 30.5 under and 35.5 on the droop. Bought 30DD. I can't breathe! If I go up to 32 the cup then changes doesn't it?

SorrelForbes Tue 18-Jun-13 11:57:16

What does the 30DD feel like if you do it up back to front? It might be that you need a bigger cup but the same band. Which brand/style bra did you buy?

sparkle12mar08 Tue 18-Jun-13 12:00:44

Schilke- On those measurements I'd actually try a 30E first, I strongly suspect your boobs are stealing room from the band, making it feel tight. And it will feel very firm to begin with, as it should. At barely half an inch over 30, you really shouldn't need a 32 band if we can get the cup size right. If 30 is just too different for you to start with, then try a 32DD. What are you wearing currently, btw?

schilke Bosnia-Herzegovina Tue 18-Jun-13 12:16:43

It was an m&s bra. I did it up back to front and struggled to get it round to the front. I honestly thought it was going to pull the hooks out it was so tight. The cup doesn't fully cover my boob.
I see what you mean about not needing a 32. I'm wearing something shocking like a 36A. Whenever I've been measured in the past they have said 36A or B.

SorrelForbes Tue 18-Jun-13 12:20:55

TBH you shouldn't be able to easily swivel a correctly fitting bra around your body. I'd say try a 30E and maybe even an F/FF. I don't really rate M&S sizing as I found their 32G a terrible fit and I'm a 30GG in every other brand.

schilke Bosnia-Herzegovina Tue 18-Jun-13 12:23:33

Thanks. I'll try a 30E. Years ago I had to wear a replica 18th century costume along with corset. When I did the bra up it reminded me of the moment the woman yanked my corset in.

If the 30DD was perfect apart from the breathing issue then the next option to try would be 32D.
If there is not enough room in the cups, the whole thing will be too tight.
Try the 30DD bra on back to front to check how tight it truly is. If it feels better, try a 30E instead.

Oops, x posted!

Given you are wearing a 36a/b, which is in theory for someone measuring 37/38 over I am thinking you should definitely try the 30f/ff too

TryDrawing Tue 18-Jun-13 13:37:51

After your advice, I finally managed to get to Bravissimo yesterday afternoon. They were fab, and I can away with an Idina Balconette. I've had to go up a cup size to 34F, as the E was a little snug.

The only thing is, the underwires feel a bit like they are digging into my chest a bit, right in the middle, on my sternum. Is that normal? I haven't worn an underwired bra for over 2 years, so I can't remember what they feel like.

OneMoreThenNoMore Tue 18-Jun-13 14:05:39

Can you help me please?! flowers

I have been stuck in nursing bras for four years now. I'm finally at the stage of only bfing in the morning and evening, and my current nursing bras are about to give up on me so I thought I would buy a couple of normal (ie, underwired and vaguely attractive) bras to wear during the day, but I don't know where to start!

I've just measured myself following the instructions on this thread. I'm 33 inches under and 41 around the fullest part of my boobs, when bending over. What size does this make me?! The bras I have at the moment are 36d. confused

I will be shopping online as the only bra shop near me is M&S, so I realise that I will probably have to buy a selection of cup sizes to try!

SorrelForbes Tue 18-Jun-13 14:10:45

OneMoreThenNoMore Try a 32G, 32FF, 34FF and a 34F for starters although I expect a 32 will be fine in most brands. If you do venture to M&S bear in mind that they don't do an FF so you'd need to try a 32G and a GG/H. You'll probably have more joy ordering on-line though!

OneMoreThenNoMore Tue 18-Jun-13 14:19:23

Sorrel thanks for responding so quickly! flowers

I'll have a look online tonight. Will report back when my orders arrive! grin

Lambzig Tue 18-Jun-13 14:46:15

Married thank you, that's helpful. By running a cup bigger than other brands, do you mean I would take a 30F in others such as Panache?

No, other way so 30G smile

PtCatalyst Wed 19-Jun-13 14:49:17

Hi, I'm back again. I ordered a CK tease me in a 28DD as the wires seemed too narrow in the 28D, but although the wire width was better, the cups were still huge.

I also tried the Panache Tango II in a 28D and 28DD - huge fail. Again, the wires were the right width on the 28DD but the cups were tight at the top and hugely wrinkly elsewhere - it looked terrible!

I haven't had a chance to go into bravissimo, but I am actually scared of being laughed out of the shop - I haven't yet met a D cup bra that I can actually fill the cups of! Everything I've ordered previously has come from amazon (free delivery and returns - yay!) but I'm running out of options.

So, any more suggestions?

gingerpinz Thu 20-Jun-13 16:55:47

Have just read through this whole thread and the advice is just fab!

Hoping someone can help me too...I have been struggling to decide on size as my 'dangling' measurement is about +20 on my under boob one and then I read a comment by marriednotdead saying "If your 'dangling' measurement is significantly different to your 'over bust when standing' one, the suggestions above may be useful.", which is definitely the case for me. Am measuring 34 under and 56 or so dangling but about 48 round with a bra (which is a bit too small but not by loads but I don't know what size it is to compare as the label has faded!) on. I have been wearing a 32K but feel the band is a bit tight and the cup slightly large so was thinking of trying some 34JJs, does that sound about right?

And was going to try some of the balconette styles as suggested in the above mentioned post as it sounds like they would be better for my boob shape, yes?

Hope that all makes sense and isn't too garbled! Thanks in advance!

LineRunner Thu 20-Jun-13 18:31:27

Hello! I am a lurker on the bra threads and have finally taken your advice and I am wearing the first comfortable bra for years and years.

Yes, I was surprised by the letter!

Thank you.

Gingerpinz, certainly try the 34JJ although from your measurements it could be a bit small in the cup. Are you scooping very vigorously - it's especially important when you have a big discrepancy to make sure all the tissue gets fully place in the bra

gingerpinz Thu 20-Jun-13 20:28:59

Thanks Statistically. So do you think stick with the K but go for the 34 then?

Still interested in opinions on style too, if anyone can help. I always steer away from balconette as thought they wouldn't be as supportive for some reason but sounds like maybe I should give them a go.

Going to order a load from Bravissimo to try and hopefully find something that works.

leobeebs Thu 20-Jun-13 21:46:31

I'm wearing a 32gg but sometime get the four boob look unless its a panache moulded. I've got back fat too and the ups in my fantasies Eddie seem droopy but sometimes the. Band feels too tight.

I measure 31.5 under and 43 leaning forwards but 41 standing up. Should I try a 30h? [blush by my huge knockers!]

leobeebs Thu 20-Jun-13 21:56:53

Meant to add which style would be best? I've got round and full boobs. Thank you in advance. Can't wait to get my norks back where they belong.

leobeebs, try a 30HH, 30J, 32HH and 32H. In terms of style, if you have quite a lot of fullness on top then you will probably find some bra styles naturally give you a bit of quad boob. It's a bit trial and error tbh

This thread is not accepting new messages.