Help please with dreadful hair on holiday

(62 Posts)
Purpleknickers Wed 01-May-13 08:53:37

I have what can only be described as dreadful hair. It is thick and very naturally wavy.

Even my hairdresser admits it's difficult. For every day wear I blow dry it as straight as possible and then straighten it further with GHD's , It is shoulder length.

My biggest problem is what to do with it on holiday. I cant bear to stick a baseball cap on as I get too hot. If I go in the pool and then leave it to dry naturally it is just a frizzy mess ( think brillo pad). Sadly I do not have petite facial features so scraping it back is not a good look. sad

The other issue is having to wash it every night on holiday and then spend nearly an hour blow drying etc is such a chore.

Does anyone else have similar hair? And if so what do you do ?

Purpleknickers Wed 01-May-13 12:36:22
FattyMcChubster Wed 01-May-13 12:42:29

It's not that one purple! Brazillian doesn't work on my hair and it's rubbish imho
The one i use is called opti smooth and I'd go for sensitised hair as its gentler and leaves a soft wave instead of dead flat.
Can't link on iPhone, sorry.

FattyMcChubster Wed 01-May-13 12:43:23

Oh and it's by matrix

FattyMcChubster Wed 01-May-13 12:44:35

Me again, sorry.
Just checked and not available on amazon but it is available on eBay

CooEeeEldridge Wed 01-May-13 12:47:25

Are we sisters purple?! I have that hair too, and I look rough as with it scrapped back. (Espesh on hols when I'm all sweaty too- loooovely!). My hairdresser has our hair too, and swears by the professional Brazilian blow dry, it's ££££ though but does work. I did see this advertised recent,y: cheaper short term version that I'm going to try, but don't know how much it is yet!

I'm irrationally scared by home type kits, but might have a look at those products...

Purpleknickers Wed 01-May-13 12:53:21

ooo okay will look out for that one then fatty sorry

cooeee I did try the v expensive brazilian blow dry and it just made mine greasy.be interesting to hear how you get on with the short term version. Agree about the sweaty look its pants!

CooEeeEldridge Wed 01-May-13 13:10:01

Ooh that's interesting purple, how annoying! I'd like to try in June as hol is in July, so will report back.

Purpleknickers Wed 01-May-13 13:48:44

I am now armed with, John Freida stuff, the urban fudge stuff, kirby grips and I will you tube french plait tutorials .. all set

Thanks Ladies flowers

AgathaF Wed 01-May-13 16:57:26

Will you report back once you have had a go Purple. My hair is very similar and looks such a bloody mess on holiday, so I have been watching this with much interest grin

greenteawithlemon Wed 01-May-13 17:00:31

You need oil.

Argan or coconut both good.

Purpleknickers Wed 01-May-13 17:31:19

Agatha of course I will because its so thick I can get away with washing it every 3 days so it may be a few days before I practice but I will remember to update

greentea I have some of that extraordinary oil .. Is that the stuff ? And how much should I use so its tamed but not greasy looking?

JamesJazz Wed 01-May-13 19:25:41

I use raw coconut oil- get it from an Indian supermarket/corner shop type thing. It's the pure stuff used in cooking! Great for skin as well.

You just need a little, experiment and see what works for your hair type.

Purpleknickers Wed 01-May-13 20:25:26

Ok thanks Jamesjazz I will try and get some lots of experimenting coming up

Purpleknickers Thu 02-May-13 18:33:20

agatha an update

I glooped loreal extrodinary oil on along with the urban fudge spray recommended by bunny then I tried a French braid last night but I'm rubbish and my hair only just shoulder length with long layers so got hot and bothered and gave up. Then I did the thick loose plaits recommended by downtown and let it loose when it was dry and it looked good no frizz anywhere.

Tonight I have tried the method of glooping with same products and pulling it back loosely with my fingers as recommended by badtaste and again I like it and no frizz.

I think you ladies have cracked it for me. Many many thanks flowers

agatha give it a go wish I'd known this 20 years ago

AgathaF Thu 02-May-13 19:16:14

I will be investing in some urban fudge spray immediately grin. I can't use the extraordinary oil - it's full of silicone and may hair is a greasy looking nightmare with anything more than the smallest amount of silicone on it. I like the idea of loosely pulling it back too. I tend to do that if I tie it back anyway, so it makes sense to do it with gloopy stuff on.

AgathaF Thu 02-May-13 19:16:50

Oops, posted too soon - so thank you for the update Purple.

Huzzah grin.

Purpleknickers Thu 02-May-13 19:18:06

smile good luck let me know how yours goes

Purpleknickers Thu 02-May-13 19:59:16

cross posted bunny huzzah indeed grin

NewChoos Thu 02-May-13 20:16:17

You need Sabino moisture block. It makes me about 90% less Monica.

Sabinohair.com.
You can buy from ebay, don't think it is available in the uk.

Purpleknickers Fri 03-May-13 08:49:52

thanks newchoos I will take a looky

Maraki Mon 20-May-13 08:03:55

I assume you put loreal oil on damp hair and then the urban fudge? Or does it not matter which product goes on first? (Sorry to sound a bit dim)

Purpleknickers Mon 20-May-13 08:39:43

Maraki yes oil first then urban fudge in my case but shouldn't think it really matters. Above all else use your fingers to 'comb' it rather than a brush or comb and then avoid touching it otherwise it makes it frizz up

well this is amazing, I read the reveiws and then tried it, my hair is smooth, shiney and hardly needs the GHD's, in fact I only use them when going out.Its lasted weeks now and I plan on doing a second attempt before my hols.

sorry, see someone has already done this link, tis good though grin am going to look for the matrix one now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now