I know what dadsy looks like and it ain't pretty....

(78 Posts)
Chandon Tue 30-Apr-13 10:52:24

just for the sake of fairness and equal bashing, let's talk about really bad dadsy styles.

So, I will start: grown men in shorts and crocs. Cute on 3 year old, but I always flinch slightly seeing an acquaintance thus attired.

Men look so much better in nice long trousers or jeans, and closed toe shoes. ( big white hairy feet in sandals......NOOOOOOO)

But clearly they do not carevto dress to impress me, bastards...

So what is your definition of dadsy?

MadBusLady Wed 01-May-13 20:13:13

Same here, Maat. I just do a panicky sweaty-palmed thing in Dorothy Perkins/Zara/Topshop every other month and end up taking most of it back.

Maat Wed 01-May-13 20:11:39

Apologies - DP not DH.

Maat Wed 01-May-13 20:09:38

MadBusLady I envy your DH, but more for myself.

I really wish I could clothes shop in that manner. Knowing what suits me and investing in some good pieces that just need topping up a couple of times a year.

MadBusLady Wed 01-May-13 20:06:29

I think DP looks timelessly good, and I really wish I had his shopping habits. He has a range of jeans and tweedy trousers, with all types and colours of shirts, a few good jumpers and cardigans in black, grey, navy, maroon, teal, brown etc, with a tweed or linen jacket (generally photographer rather than blazer shaped), or a wool overcoat in winter. He only has a few pairs of shoes but they cost eye-watering amounts of money.

He doesn't mess about with shopping, couple of times a year he goes somewhere ruinously expensive and buys one thing. Couple more times a year he buys out Ted Baker's entire shirt stock. That's it. He doesn't stress about it, he just knows what works, and looks good. The swine.

For reasons I have yet to fully work out, this totally falls apart when we go on holiday.

Maat Wed 01-May-13 19:52:11

DH buys his own clothes.

He goes out twice a year - spring and autumn and buys whatever is cheapest and covers his body.

I can't even define him as "dadsy". He's in a class of his own and not in a good way

Fillyjonk75 Wed 01-May-13 19:38:05

I love DH in shorts and sandals and try to persuade him to wear them as much as possible in the summer. He has really good legs and nice feet, no manky toes!

DebsMorgan Wed 01-May-13 14:05:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 01-May-13 13:25:50

Me? I like a snappy dresser. A man who dresses well and looks after himself stands out, and is instantly more attractive.

But I beg to differ on the shorts and sandals combo. If the man in question is in good shape with nice skin, and he wears a wears a nice shirt with his shorts, then it can look just fine IMO.

Not short shorts though. Good god, no.

freddiefrog Wed 01-May-13 12:50:35

DH definately has a uniform

Casual:
Jeans or chinos or long shorts (with the aforementioned pockets grin)
Checked (usually blue) short or long sleeved shirt
Hoodie
Trainers

Smarter:
Smarter jeans
Slightly 'out there' shirt
Black shoes

He works from home so doesn't do smart-smart

He wears the same thing every day, any suggestions from me to deviate is met with disdain.

He does do his own shopping, although its usually a few more checked shirts and another pair of jeans

He looks alright, doesn't give a toss about clothes or how he dresses, and I'm just grateful if he hasn't sniffed it before putting it on

AgeingFop Wed 01-May-13 11:53:56

Slightly bemused hearing that many men don't buy their own clothes in this day and age. It's something I associate with my Dad's generation - and I'm in my forties.

Myself, my brother and I'm sure my male friends all buy the majority of their own clothes. Not to say that DW doesn't buy me clothes as a present, but if I need new everyday or work clothes I'll do it myself. If I'm shopping, then I may take her with me for a second opinion.

LadyBigtoes Wed 01-May-13 09:07:56

Yes there's no point being "out there" if it's not you. But your DH could just maybe buy some men's mags or style mags that appeal to him and just leaf through for ideas - if a shirt or jacket leaps out and really appeals to him, that would give him an idea of what he might like to try. There's no need to spend loads - if he can find brands/designers he likes, he can then see what's around by them on ebay.

GibberTheMonkey Wed 01-May-13 08:39:29

Ujjayi

So what does he wear? My dh wants to look stylish but doesn't have an innate sense of style so I'm afraid I've guided him towards dadsy to help him feel comfortable. I just don't know what a 30-40 something man would look stylish in unless they really did do something a bit different and out there. I do know men who looks stylish and different but they are very individual and its definitely a matter of taste.

Get this right...dog poo brown. Combined with blue black and purple...

DebsMorgan Wed 01-May-13 08:00:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leafmould Wed 01-May-13 07:50:10

Yoni time. Interesting comment. I definately read it 2 times when you said about each man's individual beauty......

Back2Two Wed 01-May-13 07:33:01

grin at Edwina. Dog poo brown is so fetching.

Ujjayi Wed 01-May-13 07:07:44

I think the definitions of "Dadsy" expressed in this thread are very specific to UK. DH is Dutch, very stylish and would rather go naked than wear Fat Face grin

My 40+ year old xp has recently overhauled his wardrobe.

He can now be seen around town with the following fashion combination (yes all as one outfit)

Black/royal blue f&f t shirt
Dog poo brown cargo pants with elasticated bottoms
Black and purple 'Vans' hi tops or skin tone canvas shoes
Little waterproof fabric jacket 3 sizes too small
Leather 'braclet' thing
Coloured charity bracelet/band thing.
Wrist to elbow tattoo.

Can some please advise me. Is this 'dadsy' or 'mid life crisis y'???

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Wed 01-May-13 01:25:30

I mean, do single men fail to buy clothes just because they have a demanding job?

Well my DH did used to only buy clothes once every 2 years (still does). In fact, today is the day of his bi-annual spree (Public holiday here). He will go to GAP and buy 2 pairs of longish beige shorts (with side pockets, natch), some polo shirts and 3 casual shirts, of which at least 2 will be pale blue. He may splash out on another pair of relaxed fit jeans. Other than socks and pants, that'll be him sorted for the next 24 mths.

For work he gets his suits and shirts made and his more casual stuff from GANT.

At weekends, all the dads here wear the same shorts with flip flops or deck shoes, apart from the french dads who wear knee-length nicely pressed shorts with a belt grin and a polo shirt (never seen a French dude without a collar)

ShatnersBassoon Tue 30-Apr-13 16:04:27

Oh yes, DH accessorises the John Rocha blouses with a Guardian poking out of his brown leather satchel. He is the man you're imagining.

Chandon Tue 30-Apr-13 16:01:08

Actually, those Rocha john Rocha shirts that look like blouses....they are horrid! I associate it with lefty dadsy types, for some reason.

Flowery horrors. my eyes!

SorrelForbes Tue 30-Apr-13 15:07:35

Luckily DH wears a uniform for work as he is completely uninterested in clothes and would happily live in sailing gear.

His wardrobe consists of Berghaus jackets, Brasher boots or deck shoes, FF tops (as linked to upthread), moleskin trousers, Gap jeans, polo shirts and rugby tops from Crew.

LadyBigtoes Tue 30-Apr-13 14:51:42

I totally disagree that men can't, or aren't supposed to care about clothes. Just like some women, some men follow the herd and look boring, others express more individuality through their clothes.

I think dadsy is straight blue jeans, those floppy pointy-toed trainers, rugby or polo tops and vaguely sports-esque/partially knitted jacket-cardie hybrids.

I lOVE it when I see a man doing bright pink cords, a velvet jacket and a bow tie, or tweed, or hippy craziness.

Fillyjonk75 Tue 30-Apr-13 14:45:18

DH likes clothes shopping - for himself. Does most online now though.

He loves clothes but isn't interested in fashion. A bit like me, though I do have a passing interest. Getting good quality expensive clothes and shoes at a fraction of the price is his bag. I'd say his style is "Gentleman". A bit old fashioned, classic, dapper. There may be an overlap with dadsy in some aspects. For work all his suits are designer at hugely reduced prices. All his work shirts are double cuffed to be worn with cufflinks. All his ties are silk. He does look very smart.

SugarMiceInTheRain Tue 30-Apr-13 14:39:46

My DH used to wear Buffy T-shirts and wolf T-shirts when I met him <weeps> hence I now choose his clothes - and yes I threw out the dodgy t-shirts. I'll take Dadsy-style clothes (whatever they are) over that any day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now