I know what dadsy looks like and it ain't pretty....

(78 Posts)
Chandon Tue 30-Apr-13 10:52:24

just for the sake of fairness and equal bashing, let's talk about really bad dadsy styles.

So, I will start: grown men in shorts and crocs. Cute on 3 year old, but I always flinch slightly seeing an acquaintance thus attired.

Men look so much better in nice long trousers or jeans, and closed toe shoes. ( big white hairy feet in sandals......NOOOOOOO)

But clearly they do not carevto dress to impress me, bastards...

So what is your definition of dadsy?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 30-Apr-13 11:50:03

My DH is terrified of Dadsy....he actually asks me "Do I look Dadsy today?"

He wears nice shirts and jeans generally...he's a lot more stylish than me. I live in skinny jeans, boots and a gilet with an arse covering top. Except when I am home and can release my poor scarred midsection from the skinnes....then I wear Primark pjs.

[proud]

isitsnowingyet Tue 30-Apr-13 11:51:24

Good point and well said yoniTime

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 30-Apr-13 11:53:50

Early DH buys his own clothes. When he goes shopping, he'll buy multiple of the same cargo trousers. And then two years later, the same shop will still sell the same cargo trousers, which he'll buy another 2. He has 3 black berghaus fleeces. I think two are thinner and one thickner. They are all hang at our entrance. Ditto with the hiking boots. It's always the same pair from berghaus (or they look the same to me). He complains when they stop selling his favourite trousers or fleeces.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 30-Apr-13 11:55:47

And DH has multiple drawers of t-shirts. There's one drawer for slightly nicer looking ones. Then they get retired to the lounging around home drawer. And finally end up in the DIY/sleepwear drawer.

AuntieStella Tue 30-Apr-13 12:07:14

Remember the Hugh Dennis sketch about the awful embarrassment of a Dad dancing? I think that involved a brown cardigan and slacks.

It's the cardigan, or it's modern equivalent, the zipped fleece, that shows the first surrender to Dadness.

dexter73 Tue 30-Apr-13 12:07:51

However my dh spends an absolute fortune on his cycling clothes and everything has to be coordinated and is very expensive. Maybe I should make him take me out in his lycra shock!!

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 30-Apr-13 12:11:26

dexter my DH clothes are very expensive too. He buys them from active wear shop like cotswold outdoors. He has those fancy cyclewear too, though he's not into lycra exactly. Just the cycle jackets, the underlayers, the hats, gloves. Said hiking boots I mocked are waterproof. Which he took great pleasure in telling me when it's raining.

Spending a lot on clothes doesn't stop them looking dadsy. It's an eye and care for fashion they are lacking grin

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 30-Apr-13 12:12:24

The old practical and functional approach to clothing grin

SignoraStronza Tue 30-Apr-13 12:14:58

My dh is in no ways 'dadsy'. In fact, he frightens small children despite the fact he's a brilliant dad, great with kids and a total softy

Badvoc Tue 30-Apr-13 12:18:16

Everything from m and s blue harbour smile

Startail Tue 30-Apr-13 13:05:01

"Everything from m and s blue harbour" Yes and the Debenhams equivalent, Maine.

That's, DH!

Why? because he never ever buys his own clothes never has in 25 years.

These places are guaranteed to fit, wear reasonably well, have no logo's he might not like and don't coast too much.

DH would much rather turn His clothes money into "Geek" (electrical, computing and technical stuff of every possible kind).

dexter73 Tue 30-Apr-13 13:19:38

Why do some men not buy their own clothes? That seems very strange to me.

Badvoc Tue 30-Apr-13 13:39:41

My dh loves blue harbour smile
I wear boot cut jeans and have been known to wear a fleece if its cold out.
So we are mumsy and dadsy smile

DontmindifIdo Tue 30-Apr-13 13:44:14

Yonitime, that was funny.

Some men (like DH) really struggle with "smart-casual". It's very hard to avoid chinos, polo shirt, in a place with a smart-casual code. It suits the tall and slim but less so everyone else.

DontmindifIdo Tue 30-Apr-13 13:45:22

(I don't buy clothes for DH, I'm not his mum)

SomethingOnce Tue 30-Apr-13 13:50:18

One variant is pushing 50 and still dressing like your 8yo skater DS.

DialsMavis Tue 30-Apr-13 13:51:08

My DP wears the same type of clothes he wore a decade ago. He is rapidly running out of places to buy them from! He thinks he is too old to wear skinny jeans, brogues , plimsolls etc but too young to look boring and smart. He wears skate trainers (not too chunky, not too slim), baggyish jeans, t shirts (usually from threadless), nice jumpers and a snow boarding coat. He is stuck in the no mans land of the mid 30s scruff bag grin.

GibberTheMonkey Tue 30-Apr-13 13:56:25

So just like all the mumsy thread. Don't wear this don't wear that. What are they supposed to wear?

My dh wears dark jeans, shirts or polo shirts (we argue about the polo shirts) joules rugby style jumpers and josef siebel rigger boots.
It's bland and probably dadsy but its also respectable and he feel comfortable in it. He would look at dick if he tried to be fashionable

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 30-Apr-13 14:02:56

Thisisaeuphemism my DH's idea of smart casual is a casual shirt, his usual cargo trousers with his 'going out' hiking boots. If it's cold, he'll add a fleece. Ditto the raincoat. Basically it's his normal clothes, but swapping the t-shirt for shirts.

The shirts look like
www.fatface.com/men/shirts/icat/mensshirts/

elfycat Tue 30-Apr-13 14:10:14

<laughing> DH (43) loves those fat face tops in the first link, with M&S chino trousers and then quite nice shoes - not lace ups as they make his feet look like boats. And he probably is Dadsy and was long before the DDs came along. But he feels good in those tops. He tried one on and his face lit up at the comfort and weight of the material and that's probably why it works and is right for him.

He's one of those big-bear type men. Barrel chested, bit of a tummy, 6ft 4inch tall. The look suits him. If he wore trendy jeans and naice t-shirts he'd look terrible.

DebsMorgan Tue 30-Apr-13 14:13:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dexter73 Tue 30-Apr-13 14:13:49

They bloody love those FF tops don't they?!! That is why I said it was dad style, because so many of them wear it. I think they look good but it just amuses me sometimes when you see a group of the dads at an event and they are all wearing the same top (but maybe in a slightly different colour)!

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 30-Apr-13 14:17:36

Hey nobody says they don't look good. The clothes just speak DAD.

This is a tongue in cheek companion to the mumsy one. I doubt our DH cares a bit whether they look dadsy!

GibberTheMonkey Tue 30-Apr-13 14:23:43

I don't know the mumsy ones are very disparaging and this was paired with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now